lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Remarkable wrote:
    The fastest ascents of Mont Ventoux:

16. 2009: 58:45 Andy Schleck 21.96 km/h
    17. 2009: 58:45 Alberto Contador 21.96 km/h
    19. 2009: 58:50 Fränk Schleck 21.93 km/h
    21. 2009: 58:53 Roman Kreuziger 21.91 km/h
    23. 2013: 59:00 Chris Froome 21.86 km/h

The competition has been pretty weak the last few years. In 2009, Andy had been attacking and there were lots of accelerations / decelerations slowing the overall time down a bit. Froome's performance looks pretty average. Hope Andy can get back to a good level soon to prove it. Contador could well give Froomie a good schooling this year aswell.

Or you could just look at that table and think that perhaps the 2009 Contador was better prepared?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I agree with this
    Daz555 wrote:
    All that will scare Contador is the knowledge that if Froome can hit 2013 levels of form, he has no chance to beat him this year in the Tour.
    But not this
    Daz555 wrote:
    My gut feeling though is that we are not going to see Froome in shape this year and Contador is going to be uncontested in the Tour this year.

I think Froome will be in the same shape as last year, but I think the difference maker will be how strong his team is. He basically won it with a 1 man support crew in Porte last year and he sometimes had to do without him, even Brailsford was saying he had no team. If Froome shows up with a team as strong as Wiggo had in 2012 then our Bertie has no chance at all
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    Remarkable wrote:

The competition has been pretty weak the last few years. In 2009, Andy had been attacking and there were lots of accelerations / decelerations slowing the overall time down a bit. Froome's performance looks pretty average. Hope Andy can get back to a good level soon to prove it. Contador could well give Froomie a good schooling this year aswell.

Or you could just look at that table and think that perhaps the 2009 Contador was better prepared?

I backed my opinion up with facts. Can you do the same? :wink:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Those legs look very strange with no huge muscle mass behind them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Remarkable wrote:

Comparing selected individual times is largely futile and the wind on Ventoux is strong enough that comparisons of times across years are frankly worthless.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Why have you forgot 55:51 Iban Mayo. That's the quickest time up MT Ventoux.
    If Sky have their train for the tour then Bertie just has to follow it like Froome. It will be the same for both of them. If he is on very top form I think Bertie has to much for Froome. The TT will be vital.
    Froome up the Ventoux last year was off the radar. The time means nothing. He could have gone way faster.
  • tuneskyline
    Paul 8v wrote:

That's what I said.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Possibly because that was an uphill TT in the Dauphine and not the final climb of a TdF stage?? Or possibly because of exactly what Rich said in his post literally right before you? "Comparing selected individual times is largely futile and the wind on Ventoux is strong enough that comparisons of times across years are frankly worthless."
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Paul 8v wrote:

That's what I said.

Kolobnev:
    Bl-ZQEZCYAIyYYh.jpg
    Kreuziger:
    BhGKuOsIcAA5p_V.jpg
    Kelly:
    1984Kelly_Liege.jpg
    Andy:
    tdf10st11gc-legs.jpg
    Levi and Hincapie:
    legsGame1-thumb.jpg
    Wiggins
    3434625727_bae09fb470.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    RichN95 wrote:
    Comparing selected individual times is largely futile and the wind on Ventoux is strong enough that comparisons of times across years are frankly worthless.

I was thinking the same but at the end of the day it gives a benchmark to where Froomie was at. I doubt he would have dominated in the same manner in 2009 with the same form etc. The competition would have been much stronger.
    If Sky have their train for the tour then Bertie just has to follow it like Froome. It will be the same for both of them. If he is on very top form I think Bertie has to much for Froome. The TT will be vital.
    Froome up the Ventoux last year was off the radar. The time means nothing. He could have gone way faster.

Mayo rode in a different era, and he set the time during an ITT up the mountain.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    TMR wrote:
    I have wondered for some time how the GC riders get so lean. Their %BF must be very low. Any idea what they take? I know how body builders strip fat, but cyclists need carbs so that process wouldn't work.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Paul 8v wrote:

For a climber/TTer/GC rider leg muscle mass is largely irrelevant; the forces put through the pedals are relatively small. Limiting factor is oxygen transport etc. Muscle mass only comes into play when you need a high peak power output e.g. a sprinter
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    TMR wrote:
    I have wondered for some time how the GC riders get so lean. Their %BF must be very low. Any idea what they take? I know how body builders strip fat, but cyclists need carbs so that process wouldn't work.

They expend more energy than they consume, i.e. they eat less than their body needs, so fat is then used as fuel.

It's not just GC riders who do this, most professional cyclists have low body fat percentages. I remember reading once that Andrea Tafi, who was never a GC rider, had 4% body fat.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:

Can't we all just love each other and get along? :mrgreen:

Everyone should just watchHot Chip covering Wham! and chill out

Bit too much of a straight up cover version (other than the added synth arpeggio) but then the original was bloody good any way ...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Remarkable wrote:
    Remarkable wrote:

I backed my opinion up with facts. Can you do the same? :wink:

Yes. The fact is that there are doubts over Contador and his performances at that time as there are over a few on that list ;) And of course he is a convicted doper.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    andyp wrote:
    TMR wrote:

They expend more energy than they consume, i.e. they eat less than their body needs, so fat is then used as fuel.

It's not just GC riders who do this, most professional cyclists have low body fat percentages. I remember reading once that Andrea Tafi, who was never a GC rider, had 4% body fat.

Don't know precisely but don't go to the Manc Velodrome when lots of BC types are there. Its no place for visitors with body image issues :lol: Even the handyman made Froome look fat when I went a couple of weeks ago and they don't sell many cakes in the café!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    In the Rouleur podcast (I think) they talked about a British rider (I assume) losing his gig because of an eating disorder.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Yes, yes, yes, yes but more importantly what do we all think of the rug?

It really ties the room together?

Fuckin A!
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:

Can't we all just love each other and get along? :mrgreen:

Everyone should just watchHot Chip covering Wham! and chill out

Blimey that was dull;whatever you thought about Wham! at least George could sing :roll: and they look a bit too pleased with themselves as well.
    Drummer is good though.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • tuneskyline
    adr82 wrote:
    Possibly because that was an uphill TT in the Dauphine and not the final climb of a TdF stage?? Or possibly because of exactly what Rich said in his post literally right before you? "Comparing selected individual times is largely futile and the wind on Ventoux is strong enough that comparisons of times across years are frankly worthless."

Agree. That's why I said Froome's time last year could have been quicker. It's about time we started having a mountain TT in the tour. It would be exciting.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

Zebra print? Or maybe he has gone back to his roots and it is a genuine zebra skin (although I find it easier to imagine the Cound out big game hunting).
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pross wrote:

Zebra print? Or maybe he has gone back to his roots and it is a genuine zebra skin (although I find it easier to imagine the Cound out big game hunting).

:lol:

that post needs a suitable photo
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385

I think the high tempo Sky like to knock to out suits Froome more, he can stay in or near the red line for longer. Bertie's natural style is to mix it up more, or, maybe he's working on this with his new coach, not that Bertie would be interested in sky's tactics or training of course, either way it's shaping up to be a cracking duel.
  • Richmond Racer
    UncleMonty wrote:

I think the high tempo Sky like to knock to out suits Froome more, he can stay in or near the red line for longer. Bertie's natural style is to mix it up more, or, maybe he's working on this with his new coach, not that Bertie would be interested in sky's tactics or training of course, either way it's shaping up to be a cracking duel.

Besides, Bert has trusty Kreusiger who's been doing a sterling super dom job for him so far, and unlike last year doesnt actually look a threat to Bert himself. And he'll also have Dodger back.
  • frenchfighter
    UncleMonty wrote:

Besides, Bert has trusty Kreusiger who's been doing a sterling super dom job for him so far, and unlike last year doesnt actually look a threat to Bert himself. And he'll also have Dodger back.

Contador has better domestiques then Froome too and they are less than half price.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Froome will win the tour, I imagine with the ease he did last year.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    No one really knows what shape Froome is in, he's well rested that's for sure.
  • Richmond Racer
    sjmclean wrote:
    Froome will win the tour, I imagine with the ease he did last year.

Whilst whistling the theme to Zulu Dawn, and having a larf around England and France with his mucker Porte? :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    UncleMonty wrote:
    No one really knows what shape Froome is in, he's well rested that's for sure.

Yes Froome has ridden 2000km this year. Nibs, JRod, Valv and Contador have done double. Most teams dont let their multi million pound riders go training most of the year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Yes Froome has ridden 2000km this year. Nibs, JRod, Valv and Contador have done double. Most teams dont let their multi million pound riders go training most of the year.

Isn't Contador buggering off for 7 weeks to train? And doesn't he usually pack it in after the Tour and re-emerge in Feb the following yet?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Isn't Contador buggering off for 7 weeks to train? And doesn't he usually pack it in after the Tour and re-emerge in Feb the following yet?

In case you are not aware, already this year Contador has won a lot, performed excellently, and is topping the rankings. Should he turn up at Trentino and crush them again? Or should he race that rubbish race called Romandie?

Also, he doesnt turn up at races to soft pedal. Best to direct your ire elsewhere.
    Contador is the Greatest