J T-L

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Kind of my point, however do wonder if some of the "lower league" type of teams might look less favourably on a rider especially if what he does say implicates others in a teams organisation.

Kind of having the teams closing there ranks I was wondering
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    eh wrote:
    I'm not blaming them as such just surprised how naive they were with a rider going from pretty much no-where to winning major races. As others have alluded even some in Sky thought it was dodgy.

His early results don't suggest anything major talent wise, just fairly decent UK pro-am level and then suddenly in 2011 and then more so in 2012 he is suddenly winning world class races :roll:

Yes you are, because its a forum winner to add a Sky are dodgy angle to any thread to stir up a response.

What"World class races" are you refering too. :roll: :roll:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Am I being naive in assuming that JLT doesn't have that much to tell? Yes, he's finished as a bike rider, even in the smallest and poorest of teams now, but I rather suspect that his tell-all tale will amount to-

"Well, y'see, I sat down with my lap-top one evening and googled EPO, then followed the link and...."

Not much of a story to sell, is it?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So he gets the Sky contract on the 20th and goes to celebrate that evening - that is certainly believable and proveable. That he didn't worry about how the alcohol would affect his performance at the Worlds is less believable unless you take the view that he assumed he would just be there to make up the numbers then drop off. His performance on the day may have been a surprise even to him - and could indicate how good he is or how effective the dope was. Anquetil was a heavy drinker of champagne and was an undisputed champion.

But then you read things like :lol:

"His normal off season binge drinking would include a full bottle of spirits followed by further drinks in the bar"

Are you f*cking kidding me :shock: Who drinks a full bottle of spirits in one night let alone followed by more drinks? Read stories of people dying due to this.

To be honest having read it I think it is somewhat more believable although points 39 and 40 are pretty damning and I would be happy to uphold his ban on the evidence presented. Their guys seem pretty solid but Dr Hampton does not - I wonder what his credentials are...there must be something or else why would Kreuziger be using him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Are you f*cking kidding me :shock: Who drinks a full bottle of spirits in one night let alone followed by more drinks?

Erm..... I used to do that. Regularly. Before I gave up drinking for cycling.
  • frenchfighter
    Pokerface wrote:
    Are you f*cking kidding me :shock: Who drinks a full bottle of spirits in one night let alone followed by more drinks?

Probably not something you would want to admit to :wink:
    Some aggressive drinking right there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Size and tolerance come into play with certain types of alcohol. I was a big lad and could handle my spirits. I couldn't handle my beer through. Go figure.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    Pokerface wrote:

Quitter

:wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Frenchie, you re so innocent...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    Frenchie, you re so innocent...

Binge drinking is nothing to be proud of and neither is having the ability is to take down size, especially if the latter is related to copious amounts of body fat.
    I don't respect those people so don't hang around with them so don't experience first hand or hear about that kind of behaviour.
    I subscribe more to the general Western European attitude towards drink. Preferably with meals, more wine then spirits and quality beer rather than piss-poor lager.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    he doesnt specify exactly what he was drinking? If it was bottles of the finest Chateau/Abbaye/Distillery would that make it any different?
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    he doesnt specify exactly what he was drinking? If it was bottles of the finest Chateau/Abbaye/Distillery would that make it any different?

In the case of quantity of spirits? No.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Remember there is a certain British Cyclist who is famed for a lot of binge drinking who is a multiple gold medal winner and the first British winner of the TdF. It's hardly like a cyclist that drinks a lot is a rare thing is it..?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Remember there is a certain British Cyclist who is famed for a lot of binge drinking who is a multiple gold medal winner and the first British winner of the TdF. It's hardly like a cyclist that drinks a lot is a rare thing is it..?

Theres another olympic and commonwealth medallist who's ridden on 2 TDF winning teams who likes a binge too. He will then try and walk/crawl home wherever he is in the world.

As to Frenchie's focusing onthe drinking excuse, it's not the quantities that blow his defense out of the water, its the alleged effect on ones bloods which is unknown to science.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pokerface
    My drinking wasn't binge drinking. It was just 'drinking'.

Ironically, I've found that in 'Western Europe" the drinking culture is far more prevalent than in Canada where I grew up. But I digress....

(And I'm not proud of how much I used to be able to drink. It was just an amount. I didn't go out of my way to prove I could drink any more than anyone else, ext. Having a high tolerance is neither a good nor bad thing).
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:

What is your point?
    Two riders doesn't prove anything. Wiggins is not a good example of how to lead your life.
    As to Frenchie's focusing onthe drinking excuse, it's not the quantities that blow his defense out of the water, its the alleged effect on ones bloods which is unknown to science.
    points 39 and 40 are pretty damning and I would be happy to uphold his ban on the evidence presented.

Pokerface wrote:
    Ironically, I've found that in 'Western Europe" the drinking culture is far more prevalent than in Canada where I grew up. But I digress....

Quite believable. I was comparing W E to UK.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • My bad, i didn't click that your points were referencing the reasoned decision.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pokerface wrote:
    My drinking wasn't binge drinking. It was just 'drinking'.

(And I'm not proud of how much I used to be able to drink. It was just an amount. I didn't go out of my way to prove I could drink any more than anyone else, ext. Having a high tolerance is neither a good nor bad thing).

Having a high tolerance is more expensive. Not a good thing.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    A whole bottle of spirits a night???? That is alcoholic territory surely?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    mike6 wrote:
    A whole bottle of spirits a night???? That is alcoholic territory surely?

If he does it all the time, yes. Once in a blue moon, of course not.
  • frenchfighter
    jtl_zps4edd799e.jpg

Looks either guilty or sozzled in this photo:
    070-IMG_6570a_zps3e540efa.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Just such a sorry saga but also a bit of a lesson for those that think doping is the preserve of Johnny Foreigner
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    awavey wrote:
    There's lots of reading in there that really stands out as the JTL that I recognise.

He's a rider that fell in love with bike racing and the feeling which comes with that. I don't believe for one second he could afford to engage in doping or would have the mindset to do so.

The bio passport exists for a reason and I think that it's going to serve the sport well. But this has shown a failing of it in my opinion.

*Removed part of post*
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • frenchfighter
    With regard the cost of doping - it was discussed a little before and the consensus is that buying some epo off the internet is not very expensive (there is not even epo tests at Tour of Britain). Getting into Lance-style doping deception is hugely more costly though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    JSCL wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    There's lots of reading in there that really stands out as the JTL that I recognise.

He's a rider that fell in love with bike racing and the feeling which comes with that. I don't believe for one second he could afford to engage in doping or would have the mindset to do so.

The bio passport exists for a reason and I think that it's going to serve the sport well. But this has shown a failing of it in my opinion.

*Removed part of post*

In your opinion.

You sound like FF does when talking about a certain other doper.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    JSCL wrote:
    awavey wrote:

*Removed part of post*

So....why do you think the passport has failed?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Have any of the journalists read the UKAD report, admittedly I haven't read it in full, but they seem to have even less of a grasp of the situation than me...

Lots of detail about how J T-L loved the sport...so what? I bet Rico loves cycling too
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    edited August 2014
    Another "report" from his local friends....sorry....paper
    http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/UKAD-mistake-ban-Plymouth-cyclist-Jonathan/story-22795346-detail/story.html

It's so full of bull I can't believe it got to press......

EDIT: just realised it's a republication of the torquay herald as previously posted.....it's still utter bull though
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning