J T-L

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I will continue to be involved during my ban, and continue coaching and giving advice to athletes.

Even if his alibi was believed, why would anyone want coaching by someone who themselves didn't like being told how to train by some of the best in the business?
    And his advice to atheletes ... 'Don't drink 40 units of alcohol before your debut at the top level'?
    To be fair, some of the best coaches are the uncoachable because they have their own ways of doing things rather than following a set system.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • And his advice to atheletes ... 'Don't drink 40 units of alcohol before your debut at the top level'?

Hmmm, wasn't it a "drink binge" that was Floyd's first excuse back in 2006?
  • having 'no respect for the ban' a bit like having no respect for the anit doping rules. I find it funny how he keeps going on about this other test that he took the day after his abnormal reading, after his glow time had gone
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    having 'no respect for the ban' a bit like having no respect for the anit doping rules. I find it funny how he keeps going on about this other test that he took the day after his abnormal reading, after his glow time had gone
    The thing is that the second test was pretty alarming in itself - and probably should have been enough to warn Sky off (if they hadn't already signed him)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    With all the unseemliness, I'd say his only viable avenue - if he wants to continue to state his innocence - is to come back after the ban and perform like he did at the start of 2012 (ideally with whatever is deemed the most sophisticated testing regime in place).
    That would go a lot further to convincing me that he is the real deal than a load of legal, procedural and theoretical nit-picking.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The thing about coming back is that he's not good enough without the drugs
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    And still no Frenchie to tell us what's so "very good" about that interview.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    One suspects it is because he gives Sky a kicking...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • lostboysaint
    Oh I am more than aware of why he thinks it's very good, it's just that, as usual, he makes a pithy comment and disappears knowing that there's no educated argument that he can put up.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Still feel this is an odd one.

Guy on continental thinks 'I know I'll dope, win a few races and hey presto big fat contract with World tour team'.

Now forgive my ignorance and I said before there's a financial cost to doping a pretty hefty one to do it right. You have source the goods and get the right advice.

Where there hell would JTL of sourced the goods and the know how to do it? Think he just googled it and just bought it online or would he have hooked up with someone in the know to set him a programme?

Not defending him here but most dopers you find are in groups of those in the know. He's a lad he didn't want to stray far from home it seems.
  • lostboysaint
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Where there hell would JTL of sourced the goods and the know how to do it? Think he just googled it and just bought it online or would he have hooked up with someone in the know to set him a programme?

Do you really think that dubious doctors/dealers/coaches don't go looking for riders that they can "work" with?
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • It seems a resolved issue to me. Either he doped or he is a monumental idiot for drinking so heavily before a big race. The drinking story seems to me like utter nonsense both the context and the amount he supposedly drunk.
    If most dopers work in groups as you suggest it wouldnt surprise me if he knew others that did it as well.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Now forgive my ignorance and I said before there's a financial cost to doping a pretty hefty one to do it right. You have source the goods and get the right advice.

Clearly he didn't do it right.

I was under the impression that EPO can be had quite cheaply. Good hoping programs cost lots of money. DIY not so much.

At least that 's my understanding from forum members more in the know than me.
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    Clearly he didn't do it right.

I was under the impression that EPO can be had quite cheaply. Good hoping programs cost lots of money. DIY not so much.

At least that 's my understanding from forum members more in the know than me.
    Indeed. It's the expertise in minimising the chances of getting caught that they pay for, not the drugs themselves. Buying EPO is no harder than buying coke or weed.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    There are three shots of EPO in my fridge week in week out. They are weekly shots taken by my mother in law when she stays for her legitimate illness.

It is I am afraid very easy to get hold of in a Diy scenario.

Might take some to rip up the club ride Sunday (joke)
  • RichN95.
    tom3 wrote:
    There are three shots of EPO in my fridge week in week out. They are weekly shots taken by my mother in law when she stays for her legitimate illness.

It is I am afraid very easy to get hold of in a Diy scenario.

Might take some to rip up the club ride Sunday (joke)
    Are you Raimondas Rumsas?
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Ha ha I remember he tried to palm it off on the MIL. Unfortunately no but it is a strange to pass a shot to her and think that cycling careers are made out of it.

As easy as breaking a seal on a self administered shot and pressing it in to your belly.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

Where there hell would JTL of sourced the goods and the know how to do it? Think he just googled it and just bought it online

Perfectly plausible. It's not expensive and as long as you're not an idiot you can probably do it with a pretty good degree of safety. Your most expensive outlay will be buying a blood spinner, but there's blokes on the internet who'll build you one that's portable.

However on the subject of people showing him what to do, this opens up the possibility of there being numerous other domestic riders that are also doping, which in all honesty would not surprise me. I'm pretty certain a careful rider could have a pretty good career whilst avoiding testing within the British scene.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    pretty good career whilst avoiding testing within the British scene.

What sort of income would they have?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pretty good career whilst avoiding testing within the British scene.

What sort of income would they have?

Not a career in that sense, but plenty of race wins. Although I imagine you could pick up a few hundred quid a week.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'm a little bit unsure about this one, it's SUCH a cr@p excuse it could actually be true. I mean, you wouldn't make that up as it's so bonkers nobody would believe it
  • ddraver
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I'm a little bit unsure about this one, it's SUCH a cr@p excuse it could actually be true. I mean, you wouldn't make that up as it's so bonkers nobody would believe it

I'm a bit like that, It's sort of SO obvious and crap that surely no one who was guilty would think it was worth a shot......
    - @ddraver
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Well Floyd thought it was believable.
  • lostboysaint
    Well Floyd thought it was believable.

And it worked for him..........oh!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Yep, it's a much worse excuse than let's say 'I sent someone into a different country to get me a steak because the country I was in isn't exactly famous for world class cuisine' :wink:
  • ddraver
    All I'm saying is that if the Coaching doesnt work out he could be a nifty guest on "Would I Lie to You"...
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Think a few people could benefit from applying the Spanish Athlete filter to this case. If, say, someone like Alejandro Valverde was behaving in a tit in the way JTL is, would anybody do anything other than call him a tit?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Paul 8v wrote:

Vanishing twin?
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    Think a few people could benefit from applying the Spanish Athlete filter to this case. If, say, someone like Alejandro Valverde was behaving in a tit in the way JTL is, would anybody do anything other than call him a tit?
    I think more or less everyone is calling him tit anyway.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    The_Boy wrote:

The Spanish connection is potentially not far off the mark - JTL was on a training camp in Spain prior to the ToB. Not hard to come into contact with people there willing or able to show you the ropes or supply the gear.