Ronde Van Vlaanderen 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Paul 8v wrote:
    My dislike for Wiggins is fuelled mainly by the merry band of Wigginsw@nkers on here ... It just gets tiresome (much as Richmond Racer feels about my anti-BW posts, only I have to deal with about a dozen supposedly sensible adults gushing like schoolgirls) ...
    I think to be honest there are more anti sky posters on here than pro.

Wiggo is one of the most successful cyclists this country has ever produced. It would be a bit naive to think there wouldnt be interest in him in a race he's competing in. The same as if it were an Italian forum when Nibali races or Contador in Spain etc.

I think the problem might be your reaction to the mere mention of Wiggins is so OTT people post about him more. It's like shooting fish in a barrell. The attitude of "I don't like Wiggins so no-one is allowed to mention him" has possibly had the opposite effect to what you desire...

People like the think they're getting me to 'bite' but in nearly all cases I've brought my own condiments ...

Only exception is the racing threads where I think folks need to keep things less 'Brit-centric' and allow others to enjoy the threads/posts without jabbering on about BW ... As I said in the RvV spoiler thread on Sunday, he was only doing the job of faceless gregario, a job many others were doing better but with no hoopla from you lot ...
    To be fair though, Wiggins isn't a faceless gregario, he's a former TDF champion. If Contador, Evans or Schleck had been in that race performing a similar role there would have been interest in how they were performing.

On top of that, Wiggins has been accused of being lazy and unprofessional. That some people chose to point out that he was in fact doing a decent job of work for the team seems entirely reasonable to me.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ^ A champion should do more than just 'work' ... You 'work' to pay back others only when you have met the goals that you are being paid to achieve ...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    ^ A champion should do more than just 'work' ... You 'work' to pay back others only when you have met the goals that you are being paid to achieve ...

What goals is he being paid to achieve then? Sky have told him he's no longer a GT leader and I haven't seen anything saying they have made him a Classics leader so ergo I assume his goal is to act as a domestique which he did well on Sunday but appears to have done badly in other races. To me it suggests he may be more prepared to work for some team mates than others which is obviously a bad thing.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    b4dt7a.jpg

but he shows you nothing but respect :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    ^^ Maybe point that out then? I.e. "Terpstra is doing a hell of a job for Boonen here" rather than the insults we usually get

You have Carlton Kirby stating the obvious, you shouldn't need my help :wink:

I'm not here to convince you that Wiggins is not the second coming ... I'm just asking you to wipe up after yourselves ...

Trust me we don't need your help. You re trying to pretend you re not the forum WiggoTroll, yet clearly you re not interested in sensible discussion about the race and the racers. All you want to do is bash Wiggins...which we all know too
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Paul 8v wrote:
    My dislike for Wiggins is fuelled mainly by the merry band of Wigginsw@nkers on here ... It just gets tiresome (much as Richmond Racer feels about my anti-BW posts, only I have to deal with about a dozen supposedly sensible adults gushing like schoolgirls) ...
    I think to be honest there are more anti sky posters on here than pro.

Wiggo is one of the most successful cyclists this country has ever produced. It would be a bit naive to think there wouldnt be interest in him in a race he's competing in. The same as if it were an Italian forum when Nibali races or Contador in Spain etc.

I think the problem might be your reaction to the mere mention of Wiggins is so OTT people post about him more. It's like shooting fish in a barrell. The attitude of "I don't like Wiggins so no-one is allowed to mention him" has possibly had the opposite effect to what you desire...

People like the think they're getting me to 'bite' but in nearly all cases I've brought my own condiments ...

Only exception is the racing threads where I think folks need to keep things less 'Brit-centric' and allow others to enjoy the threads/posts without jabbering on about BW ... As I said in the RvV spoiler thread on Sunday, he was only doing the job of faceless gregario, a job many others were doing better but with no hoopla from you lot ...

Sweeping generalisation Crank, name the "Wiggins w@nkers" and "you lot". I spent a lot of time on the RVV thread on Sunday, I don't recall that much Pro Wiggins chat only Paul 8v yanking your chain...rather successfully it seems
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Crankbrother
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    ^^ Maybe point that out then? I.e. "Terpstra is doing a hell of a job for Boonen here" rather than the insults we usually get

You have Carlton Kirby stating the obvious, you shouldn't need my help :wink:

I'm not here to convince you that Wiggins is not the second coming ... I'm just asking you to wipe up after yourselves ...

Trust me we don't need your help. You re trying to pretend you re not the forum WiggoTroll, yet clearly you re not interested in sensible discussion about the race and the racers. All you want to do is bash Wiggins...which we all know too

Read back the spoiler threads ... I watch 90% of the races that are available and contribute to the threads where I see fit ... Plenty comment on both races and racers ... I troll-lite where BW is concerned, it's obvious to all, but that's only for poops and giggles ... i dislike him, yes, but ultimately he's just someone who used to be on telly ...

It amazes me the passion some folks have for this subject (and often how personal you make it) ... He's just a bloke on the tv to you lot too you know ...
  • ddraver
    I know, i'm not reall y that interested in him at the moment hence why I don't post about him...you on the other hand...

Again, it's funny how many people have Sky living rent free in their heads right now...
    - @ddraver
  • Crankbrother
    ddraver wrote:
    I know, i'm not reall y that interested in him at the moment hence why I don't post about him...you on the other hand...

Again, it's funny how many people have Sky living rent free in their heads right now...

In fairness, it was RR and someone else that started me on this after some other poster was dissing Thomas (who does seem to spend more time on the deck than Admiral Nelson) ... RvV finished 2 days ago ...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I got up them all. Guy fell infront of me on the Koppenberg but a fan stuck his arm out and held my ars* till the chap was out of my way. No foot down :)
    lucky sod. i had to eject on the koppenberg after a fat mamil stacked it in super slo mo. smashed up my left cleat on impact, and my right decided to play silly buggers,so did the next 15-20k unable to clip in... lovely. replaced both and towed a few folks along the final straight at around 31mph for a bit... totally love the course.

the weekend was epic. I am back for this next year! I'm also going to post up and see if anyone wants to do some summer classics training in June or July. wanna go back!

the race was brilliant as well. cancellara is absolutely the real deal. Felt sorry for Van Avermaet. he reminds me of me in racing terms. has the finish, but times it too late! Devolder needs stabilisers!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ddraver wrote:

Quite.

Anyways...your mate Ellen did rather well on Sun...I put it down to a certain cafe ride a few months ago... :wink:
  • ddraver
    She did indeed! I would ve shouted an encouragement given that Lizzie wasnt going to win the sprint, but it was uneccessary...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    philbar72 wrote:
    the weekend was epic. I am back for this next year! I'm also going to post up and see if anyone wants to do some summer classics training in June or July. wanna go back!

I would be but i'm one of the fat MAMILs of which you speak and if you re not exaggerating about 31mph then it would be a rather poor match...
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Everyone seems to be conveniently forgetting about the commercial value of Wiggo. For Sky, Wiggo is perfect even if he isn't winning for a couple of years. He is far bigger than Froome will ever be in that respect.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    ddraver wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

I would be but i'm one of the fat MAMILs of which you speak and if you re not exaggerating about 31mph then it would be a rather poor match...

You're not middle aged, are you?
  • ddraver
    The oldies are going to roll their eyes but as I hurtle toward 30 i'm feeling the mid/quarter life crisis beginning to bite...

let's say that the videos on the climbs are less than flattering and reveal how uncool I really do look on a bike too :oops:
    - @ddraver
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    ddraver wrote:
    The oldies are going to roll their eyes but as I hurtle toward 30 i'm feeling the mid/quarter life crisis beginning to bite...

let's say that the videos on the climbs are less than flattering and reveal how uncool I really do look on a bike too :oops:

"Hurtle" towards 30?? Love, you ain't seen the half of it yet... Time becomes ever slipperier and faster moving.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Coriander wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

"Hurtle" towards 30?? Love, you ain't seen the half of it yet... Time becomes ever slipperier and faster moving.

Absolutely, someone take the kid out for an ice cream
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Joelsim wrote:
    Everyone seems to be conveniently forgetting about the commercial value of Wiggo. For Sky, Wiggo is perfect even if he isn't winning for a couple of years. He is far bigger than Froome will ever be in that respect.

The BBC's radio football station - (R5Lies) - led their daytime bulletins with "Team Sky's Bradley Wiggins gets his call-up papers for Paris-Roubaix" on the day Wiggo got his PR call-up papers.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    Yep, they did an hour Special on Paris Roubaix with Rob hayles and Maggie Backstead and I don't think they mentioned a single other classic or even Cancellara or Boonen, let alone Gerraint Thomas
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ddraver wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

What i didn't say was it was only about a mile that i towed them for (and on strava it rounded down to 30 mph). i'm not thin at 75kg. and not really a great climber either. Get me on a flat bit or a descent and i do go reasonably quick.
  • ddraver
    Well it's up to you, there was talk of a London BRPR ride in the summer so we can see ;)
    - @ddraver
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Heard this afternoon that the woman whom Van Summeren collided with has woken out of her coma.
    Don't know, however, what condition she is otherwise in.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    knedlicky wrote:
    Heard this afternoon that the woman whom Van Summeren collided with has woken out of her coma.
    Don't know, however, what condition she is otherwise in.

Good news - hopefully she'll make a full recovery in time
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Crazy to think she has been in a coma for a month. Hope she makes a full recovery.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Philippe Reyntjens, the husband of Marie-Claire Moreels told HLN.be, “Five days ago, the anaesthesia was discontinued and put two days ago, the hospital called me that my wife was woken up.” “I jumped in the air and I drove to the hospital right away. I was so euphoric that I almost had an accident myself.”

Marie-Claire Moreels was spectating at the Tour of Flanders and while standing on the middle of the boulevard the peloton split around but Johan Vansummeren crashed and hit her dead on. It was suspected that she had brain trauma underwent an operation at the hospital. Since then, she was kept in a coma and fortunately woke up two days ago.

“She’s been looking around and can already move, but not talk,” said Philippe. “I hope it will continue all the way in the right direction. Tomorrow I have a talk with the doctor. Then I will know more,” says Philippe Reyntjens.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Philippe Reyntjens, the husband of Marie-Claire Moreels told HLN.be, “Five days ago, the anaesthesia was discontinued and put two days ago, the hospital called me that my wife was woken up.”... “She’s been looking around and can already move, but not talk,” said Philippe.
    It’s a start, talking always comes later – general movement, signs of awareness and later physical response to speech usually come first.
    (Thanks for the update, FF)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ThomThom wrote:
    BkiI7qXIIAAb9D0.jpg

A rather sad update on this accident.
    http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/woman ... _accident/
  • Thanks for posting. Pretty sad. Hopefully the organization can help out and if JVS doesnt foot the medical bill or something then he loses all respect.
    Contador is the Greatest