Ronde Van Vlaanderen 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    True but Frenchie implied Van Summeren should have it on his conscience when it plainly wasn't his fault.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    That was a horrific looking crash ^^^^. Very worrying that she lay immobile. Absolutely not her fault

I wouldn't say it was her fault but not really a smart place to stand is it? Had it been because the riders left the road to gain positions then it would have been a different matter but standing in the middle of the road on an island is just... Especially if you are 65 and perhaps not as 'alert' to your surroundings.

This exactly. van Sum hadn't jumped a kerb to gain an advantage. As I said above, it's like spectators who stand on the outside of bends watching rallying. They are off the course but are in prime position for something to go wrong.

While you or I wouldn't stand there, casual spectators who don't understand the risks will do, unfortunately. Ultimately it's up to the organisers to ensure they're safe.

With hindsight, like many incidents, I guess she/they would choose not to stand there. However, how often will someone have stood in a similar position without the hint of a problem?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You can see why the Flandriens love Cancellara so much they give him his own room in the RvV museum. Popovyc gone, Stijn gone and he still does it. Woof.

Though even the biggest Flandrien Cancellara fan seemed a bit miffed that 3 Belgians in the winning 4 man group couldn't finish it off.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Come on - its crazy to lay any blame at anyone other than the spectator. To stand on a tiny island like that with the entire caravan of motorcycles, peleton, support vehicles etc etc coming at you at 50k plus per hour is simply insane.

It is 100% her fault and any injury to Van Summeren is on her shoulders - only possibly partly shared by the people who were with her.

I really do hope she is ok - I am not saying she deserved to get struck in any way whatsoever - but the fault is not with the rider.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537
    Pross wrote:
    True but Frenchie implied Van Summeren should have it on his conscience when it plainly wasn't his fault.

That says more about Frenchie than Van S. I've yet to see a pro cyclist deliberately take a traffic island head-on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,708
    Excuse the use of google:
    The Tour of Flanders, Johan Vansummeren lasted for only a half hour . The Garmin rider collided in Wielsbeke a spectator and was discharged with a head wound . The woman in question is in bad shape . "I have a black eye and stitches in my face , but that's not important right now ," said Vansummeren in shock .

The collision happened at the exit of Wielsbeke . On a traffic island in the middle of the street popped Vansummeren on a woman . Possibly the Garmin rider had not seen the traffic island. Vansummeren had to retire with a head wound . The woman was in critical condition in hospital .

"I have no desire to go deeper into the collision itself ," said Vansummeren clearly in shock . "It would quickly get bogged down in a debate who is to blame . "
    "The Tour is a hype . There is enormous pressure on the riders and there's a lot of people going. Moreover, you should always sit in the front on the narrow roads of Flanders . "

"With me it 's not so bad . I have a black eye and stitches in my face , but that's not important right now . I'm shocked. Touched me I feel that other people are involved. "

"I feel worse about the fact that the lady is hurt , then my crash . Hear falls in the price , but this is bad for the family . What I will leave them alone first , but will in a few days or contact us. Hopefully the right direction with her . "

Vansummeren know why there are so many cases . "The Tour is a hype . There are only a few days a year that the riders are so tense and there's a lot of people going. Narrow roads and front rates , that's about it at this rate . "

" There accidents happen every year , but a large part of the blame lies right in everything they put on the road . It had a lovely Sunday should be , but it is anything but . , I will not sleep well tonight."
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    We agreed that the route was better this year?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    clanton wrote:
    Come on - its crazy to lay any blame at anyone other than the spectator. To stand on a tiny island like that with the entire caravan of motorcycles, peloton, support vehicles etc etc coming at you at 50k plus per hour is simply insane.

It is 100% her fault and any injury to Van Summeren is on her shoulders - only possibly partly shared by the people who were with her.

I really do hope she is ok - I am not saying she deserved to get struck in any way whatsoever - but the fault is not with the rider.

It's what's known technically as an accident. The woman didn't know she was in danger, van Summeren didn't know the island was there. You can't assume that casual spectators understand the speed of the peloton, and you can't assume that riders in the middle of the peloton can see road furniture.

If there's any blame at all then it's with the race organisers for not ensuring the island was spectator free and signalled to the riders.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Thought it was quite well balanced. Was certainly a good race.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450

That trinity of the Kwaremont, the Paterberg and the Koppenberg from 55 kms to 44 kms to go did an excellent job of forcing a selection.
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    The thing I don't understand about the VS crash is why the guy standing next to the woman who was hit, just goes back to watching the race and doesn't even bother to turn round.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Top 4 could be fairly similar in P-R.

Obviously, Cancellera rode it well, but I did feel for Van Avermaet after spending quite a while out in front and Vanmarcke for the repeat of P-R last year. But Vanmarcke is young and has plenty more chances.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Geraint saying he crashed into a central reservation as he was having a drink when everyone braked. Caused him pain in his back so he wasnt properly at ease for the rest of the race. He is riding 100% for EBH is Roubaix.

Sep also crashed and could be seen holding his neck. Hard guys these cyclists.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Talius wrote:
    The thing I don't understand about the VS crash is why the guy standing next to the woman who was hit, just goes back to watching the race and doesn't even bother to turn round.

I believe there was a young child present and he was ensuring that he didn't see the injuries to his grandmother(?)
  • frenchfighter
    Cancellara saying he wanted to win solo but was happy to have a sprint win on his palmares as there arent many of them.

He nicely said he tried not to show too much emotion as it was Sep's first time contesting the win in Flanders and similar for GVA.

Continuing thoughts about him not being as strong and suffering, he said that he was nearly dropped after those few attacks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I don't trust him. Feigning weakness before Roubaix. How quaint!
  • Pross
    andyp wrote:

That trinity of the Kwaremont, the Paterberg and the Koppenberg from 55 kms to 44 kms to go did an excellent job of forcing a selection.

Yep but still gives enough time for a determined chase group to get back if they work hard so a very good balance.
  • frenchfighter
    If Vander had cooperated with GVA do you think they would have stayed away?

GVA is pretty pissed with it. Vander says his team told him he couldn't work. Cut out the radios.

Read GVA here. Note what Pieper says and the GVA just after. 100% proof racer.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... ght_322999
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Nice way that the ladies Flanders played out. Only 140km tho.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    If Vander had cooperated with GVA do you think they would have stayed away?

GVA is pretty pissed with it. Vander says his team told him he couldn't work. Cut out the radios.

Read GVA here. Note what Pieper says and the GVA just after. 100% proof racer.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... ght_322999

Yep. It was a standard and legitimate race tactic at first but as soon as it was obvious Boonen wasn't going to be in the running he should have started working GvA was strong so with help the two could have battled it out.
  • Pross
    Nice way that the ladies Flanders played out. Only 140km tho.

10 bergs in that 140km though so far from easy!
  • Just back in from my excursion! Ended up watching about 100m from the top of the Kwaremont then watching the finish on the big screen at the top whilst stood on a wheely bin!

Thoughts:

Canc looked super strong all 3 times, Wiggins looked surprisingly awesome 2nd time up, great finish, womens race excellent, biggest cheer of the day for Devolder off the back the last time up, when Aussies and Belgian police collide there will be only one winner.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    35 riders finished within 1 min 35 secs of the winner and this amount would have been a lot more without the crashes.
    The times you saw a break develop over a climb and then a large regroupment on the long run to the next climb.
    If you are not going to have the Muur to sort things out then I would suggest that you use the lanes to the Koppenberg again and then let them finish over the same roads as today.

They didn't mention the race twice crossed the "Hotonberg", a tarmac road above the Kwarmont, whereas in other races it gets labelled and numbered. I had hoped to see the locals attack on that climb and then freewheel down to "Berchem".

I did enjoy today's RVV but I've seen better.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    deejay wrote:
    35 riders finished within 1 min 35 secs of the winner and this amount would have been a lot more without the crashes.
    The times you saw a break develop over a climb and then a large regroupment on the long run to the next climb.
    If you are not going to have the Muur to sort things out then I would suggest that you use the lanes to the Koppenberg again and then let them finish over the same roads as today.

They didn't mention the race twice crossed the "Hotonberg", a tarmac road above the Kwarmont, whereas in other races it gets labelled and numbered. I had hoped to see the locals attack on that climb and then freewheel down to "Berchem".

I did enjoy today's RVV but I've seen better.

Last time Muur was a part of the route 46 riders finished withing 1.24 after the winner.
    In 2009 33 riders finished within 1.14 of the winner.
  • The muur was 15km from the finish.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Great tactical riding by Cancellera, forcing Vanmarcke to close that gap was a masterstroke. I reckon GVA is being harsh on Vandenbergh but I suppose you are going to have a few if onlys after a second place. Bit surprised OPQ couldn't get one of their big three in the front group.

Paris roubaix will have to go some to beat that though after today I think it's looking more open than it has for a while, Canc obviously looking favourite but maybe not unbeatable as he has in the past.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • thomthom
    Not sure it was down to tactics when Vanmarcke closed the gap instead of Fabian. Fabian looked well knackered and they almost fecked it up before Vanmarcke took charge.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    It had to be poker, I agree he was knackered but I doubt he was more knackered than Vanmarcke, I think he's learnt he can't tow everyone to the line and still win, was it MSR a few years back he was beaten doing that?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • thomthom
    Yeh, not sure I agree. Have to have a look at it again but as far as I remember Fabian really struggled to close that gap. Vanmarcke did it in seconds. Vanmarcke was only beaten by GVA in being today's 'motm'. He attacked numerous times before following Fabian without any problems. I think Fabian was saved by that last km of track-esque riding and the fact that Vanmarcke 'towed' him back to Vandenbergh and GVA.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well I can't say that I had a bad weekend really...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver