Ronde Van Vlaanderen 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Apparently, the woman has had two operations – probably removal of some of skull in attempt to drain any blood build-up and to relieve the pressure under the skull, so like done for Michael Schumacher.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I got up them all. Except the Koppenberg. Was confronted by a sea of nodders walking up the left hand side, I could have punched them if my arms weren't so feeble after the pummelling from the cobbles. On the plus side it meant I was fresh for the top of the climb so according to the official video I was flying up there!

What does everyone think of Wiggo's performance? I was pleasantly surprised - looked comfortable when he passed us on the Molenberg and then did well to be in the main bunch. Good effort for his first cobbled race of the year, ridiculous really for someone supposedly targetting Roubaix but maybe, just maybe....?
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Great article on Cancellara.

“You’re in the war, you’re in the fight. You want to show your strength,” Cancellara said of the waning hours of a classic. “You want to show you’re the strongest. And then when you win and you have this feeling, this new experience … tactics and feelings and mentality and power and luck and so many things, and it’s just something beautiful.”

The way you win matters. He never ceases to secure his position in the pantheon of the greats.
    Shame he was on the radio so much during the run-in ;)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    54kg.
    I think that makes you officially TOO light to be a cox in the Boat Race.... You'd have to carry weights. We should implement this next year! :D
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Milton50 wrote:
    I got up them all.

Aren't you ridiculously light?

54kg.

I found it harder being light, especially on the Koppenberg, either my front wheel was coming off the ground or the rear wheel was slipping all over the place!

Great day, ride and experience though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mtfu.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Rick's the equivalent of a wafer thin mint
  • markwb79
    Mtfu.

clear! But I never said I had to get off!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • rick_chasey

Something like that.

The cobbles are really something when you ride them. TV doesn't do them justice. You can barely believe you should be riding over them but soon enough you work out that going hard at them works well.

Hills were steep - biggest problem I faced wasn't my front wheel lifting (that happens on any steep climb) but the guys crawling to a halt in front of me.

I found the going relative to others pretty good on cobbles but I suspect far too many were running too high tyre pressures.

It was the flats inbetween that did me in.
  • markwb79

Something like that.

The cobbles are really something when you ride them. TV doesn't do them justice. You can barely believe you should be riding over them but soon enough you work out that going hard at them works well.

Hills were steep - biggest problem I faced wasn't my front wheel lifting (that happens on any steep climb) but the guys crawling to a halt in front of me.

I found the going relative to others pretty good on cobbles but I suspect far too many were running too high tyre pressures.

It was the flats inbetween that did me in.

From hating it two years ago, so sort of 'enjoying' it this year. I was quite surprised. I was pretty scared before riding, but all went well. Brilliant day on the bike and got round in a respectable time.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • The cobbles are really something when you ride them. TV doesn't do them justice. You can barely believe you should be riding over them but soon enough you work out that going hard at them works well.

Now go and ride some proper cobblestones at Roubaix... :D
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    He'd hit the first set and be bounced into the woods. Or fall down one of the cracks at his size :)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    I got up them all.
    Aren't you ridiculously light?
    54kg.
    I found it harder being light, especially on the Koppenberg, either my front wheel was coming off the ground or the rear wheel was slipping all over the place!
    Great day, ride and experience though.
    Maybe you need a longer stem? Or else, bring your body as far forward and as low as possible (apologies if stating what you already realise/do).
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    BigMat wrote:
    What does everyone think of Wiggo's performance? I was pleasantly surprised - looked comfortable when he passed us on the Molenberg and then did well to be in the main bunch. Good effort for his first cobbled race of the year, ridiculous really for someone supposedly targetting Roubaix but maybe, just maybe....?
    I was very surprised to see him at the right end of things on the final climbs - he has looked so disinterested in everything since he won the Olympic TT and he looked very focussed on Sunday.

He probably has the legs to stay with a lot of the guys at PR but has he got the road skills and determination - the ability to stay with the leaders and out of trouble when the pace hots up and the roads narrow?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Daz555 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    I was very surprised to see him at the right end of things on the final climbs - he has looked so disinterested in everything since he won the Olympic TT and he looked very focussed on Sunday.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Just seems even stranger that this was his first race since Tirreno-Adriatico.

Hasn't Geraint Thomas said he is working 100% for EBH at Paris-Roubaix?
  • Richmond Racer
    Milton50 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Just seems even stranger that this was his first race since Tirreno-Adriatico.

He's been riding new grooves into the tarmac up and down Puig Major and Sa Colobra since T-A.

EBH is leader on Sun. My guess is BW will be given a free role. Stan being out makes the latter more possible, I think.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

He's been riding new grooves into the tarmac up and down Puig Major and Sa Colobra since T-A.

Yeh, that's my point really. Not the actions of someone who is targeting Paris-Roubaix. Still, I hope he surprises me.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

He probably has the legs to stay with a lot of the guys at PR but has he got the road skills and determination - the ability to stay with the leaders and out of trouble when the pace hots up and the roads narrow?

PLeasantly surprised, his new tattoo is gipping though.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • In response to Frenchie from a while back, I was on the wrong side of Devolder to see any damage. Geraint's face looked sore though.

Devolders second crash was him catching his bars on a flag at the side of the road, so can't really blame him for that.

About 40 girls in the square in Oudenaarde went full Hard Days Night when Canc was wandering back to the bus.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Daz555 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

PLeasantly surprised, his new tattoo is gipping though.

*looks up meaning of 'gipping'*

Oh.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    In response to Frenchie from a while back, I was on the wrong side of Devolder to see any damage. Geraint's face looked sore though.

Devolders second crash was him catching his bars on a flag at the side of the road, so can't really blame him for that.

About 40 girls in the square in Oudenaarde went full Hard Days Night when Canc was wandering back to the bus.

Ah that sucks. Didnt realise a spectator took him out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    1396802830440-2oa45mwirkbq-670-80.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'm guessing when the numbers turn to red it means "Attack!"
  • rick_chasey
    Didn't realise GvA punctured at exactly the same point as the Devolder crash.

Bloody good effort.

Still a choker though.
  • WATSON-00003741030_3116061.jpg

Seriously, this guy needs stabilisers.

Overrated big time, i just wonder when Brailsford is going to wake up and smell the coffee.
  • rick_chasey
    There were a worryingly large amount of crashes all round.

You lot focus on the English speaking riders, as per usual, but it's an issue that should be looked at.

Marc Sargant was saying how he was seeing riders who were way back, in no chance of getting world tour points taking big risks, let alone the guys at the front.

Vansummeren, granted in a fair bit of shock was talking about road furniture.

GvA was talking about a much higher proportion of 'cowboy' or people who don't ride by the unwritten rules than there ever used to be.

Wuyts is convinced that the peloton is far too big and teams should be 6 men.

It's definitely an issue.
  • So according to Thomas himself, he's having a drink and everybody slams on the anchors for some reason and down he goes, how can he avoid that? Surely everyone who rides a bike in a group has crashed or nearly crashed because of something stupid like that?

Also, you dont get a top ten at the Ronde if you're not a good bike handler

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    There were a worryingly large amount of crashes all round.

You lot focus on the English speaking riders, as per usual, but it's an issue that should be looked at.

Marc Sargant was saying how he was seeing riders who were way back, in no chance of getting world tour points taking big risks, let alone the guys at the front.

Vansummeren, granted in a fair bit of shock was talking about road furniture.

GvA was talking about a much higher proportion of 'cowboy' or people who don't ride by the unwritten rules than there ever used to be.

Wuyts is convinced that the peloton is far too big and teams should be 6 men.

It's definitely an issue.

Other riders have been saying any and all of the above for some time. The likes of Michael Barry wrote about rider safety, road furniture and the preponderance of crashes - plus the question of team sizes - going back to 2011. David Millar's written and spoken about it. Hell, even Jens Voigt has talked about the problems in his stuff for Bicycling. In fact a good number of riders have been saying this for the last few years via blogs, interviews and columns in mags or on websites.
  • rick_chasey
    Ja duh, but this Flanders fortnight had been particularly bad .
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    WATSON-00003741030_3116061.jpg

Seriously, this guy needs stabilisers.

Overrated big time, i just wonder when Brailsford is going to wake up and smell the coffee.

And yet he still finished 8th :roll: