frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    1396802830440-2oa45mwirkbq-670-80.jpg

^Very nicely done.

Sky's version:
    IMG-9435_3116398.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Essex Rouleur is to G what Crankbrother is to Wiggins.

By the way- did anyone mention what a surprisingly good ride Bradley did at the weekend?

*runs*
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695

^Very nicely done.

Sky's version:
    IMG-9435_3116398.jpg

So who got their sums for the finale wrong, or is it only riders with long stems that win this race?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Ja duh, but this Flanders fortnight had been particularly bad .

Yeah watching it it was absolutely crazy on Sunday - for the first time ever watching a bike race I thought is it fair to ask even well paid pros to take these kind of risks. It would be interesting to compare how many crashes there are now compared to say 30 years ago but I guess people will always say things were better back in the day, of course that's not to say they weren't.

Is there any more news on the spectator that was injured, the image of her lying motionless was quite shocking and when you think it was a fun day out to watch a bike race more so.

Road furniture has to be an issue but what else? Are people taking more risks, do helmets encourage riders to think they are more protected than they are, does the modern head down position offer as much control, do the races stay together longer with increased fitness throughout the bunch, are radios meaning DSs put pressure on riders to push up before the next berg who might otherwise slip to the back ? All things which are very hard to prove but if races are more dangerous now there has to be some reason, and most crashes are not caused by road furniture.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Why is Fabian holding up four fingers?!
    CORVOS_00023022-083.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    smithy21 wrote:

By the way- did anyone mention what a surprisingly good ride Bradley did at the weekend?

*runs*

ER needs to get himself along for a big feed at the Blue Egg (cliche alert) - make himself less of a gringe.

There's toot all hope for Crankie, on the other hand
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

^Very nicely done.

Sky's version:
    IMG-9435_3116398.jpg

Sky = old skool, spirit of cycling

Trek = hi tech factory robots

:wink:
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Didn't realise GvA punctured at exactly the same point as the Devolder crash.

Bloody good effort.

Still a choker though.

If memory serves correctly BMC were doing the wheel-swop on the outside of a left-hand bend when half of the Saxo riders went down together then Devolder ran into the pile-up. Not sure if the two were related. The thing that I couldn't understand was why Devolder was that far back given that he was supposed to be supporting Cancellara - or had he fallen / punctured before and was trying to make his way back up to the front?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Didn't realise GvA punctured at exactly the same point as the Devolder crash.

Bloody good effort.

Still a choker though.

If memory serves correctly BMC were doing the wheel-swop on the outside of a left-hand bend when half of the Saxo riders went down together then Devolder ran into the pile-up. Not sure if the two were related. The thing that I couldn't understand was why Devolder was that far back given that he was supposed to be supporting Cancellara - or had he fallen / punctured before and was trying to make his way back up to the front?

Can't remember the chronology but Devolder hit the deck several times during the race... Kirby was wetting himself.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012

^Very nicely done.

Sky's version:
    IMG-9435_3116398.jpg

Is there any specific reason for the - to my mind - really long stem? I remember an article on here a couple of years back about Phil Gil saying he rode a 50/52 frame with a 140mm stem. What's the reasoning: short legs / long torso? Better for handling? Better aero down in the drops? :?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I know a lot of them ride smaller frames than normal so need longer stems, also they can get lower on the bike than a lot of us.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Use a smaller frame to get a lower position then use a long seatpost and stem to get the correct fit. It works if you re a pro rider, if you see anyone else doing it, they re an idiot

They should sell those stickers for the Sportive MAMILs - I'd have got one ;)

More and more older riders are complaining about the newer riders lack of respect, but let's not forget that the classics are notable crash fests...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    smithy21 wrote:

*runs*

ER needs to get himself along for a big feed at the Blue Egg (cliche alert) - make himself less of a gringe.

There's toot all hope for Crankie, on the other hand
    Mmm, Blue Egg goodness... :-)

Cranky is actually Michelle Counde, hence the Wiggo hate. Some say he has a Rapha duvet in Black and blue and a sky onesie...
  • ddraver
    Counde is off on one on twitter this morning...
    - @ddraver
  • Crankbrother
    My dislike for Wiggins is fuelled mainly by the merry band of Wigginsw@nkers on here ... It just gets tiresome (much as Richmond Racer feels about my anti-BW posts, only I have to deal with about a dozen supposedly sensible adults gushing like schoolgirls) ...
  • Paul 8v
    ddraver wrote:
    Use a smaller frame to get a lower position then use a long seatpost and stem to get the correct fit. It works if you re a pro rider, if you see anyone else doing it, they re an idiot

More and more older riders are complaining about the newer riders lack of respect, but let's not forget that the classics are notable crash fests...
    Someone on here had one for the Paris Roubaix sportive last year that his mate made for him. It was pretty good to be fair.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    ddraver wrote:
    Michelle Cound‏@michellecound·1m
    All the little fan boys & girls of convicted dopers going mental... Get a life!

She does know how the internet works right?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    mroli wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Michelle Cound‏@michellecound·1m
    All the little fan boys & girls of convicted dopers going mental... Get a life!

She does know how the internet works right?

Oh, she knows very well
  • Paul 8v
    My dislike for Wiggins is fuelled mainly by the merry band of Wigginsw@nkers on here ... It just gets tiresome (much as Richmond Racer feels about my anti-BW posts, only I have to deal with about a dozen supposedly sensible adults gushing like schoolgirls) ...
    I think to be honest there are more anti sky posters on here than pro.

Wiggo is one of the most successful cyclists this country has ever produced. It would be a bit naive to think there wouldnt be interest in him in a race he's competing in. The same as if it were an Italian forum when Nibali races or Contador in Spain etc.

I think the problem might be your reaction to the mere mention of Wiggins is so OTT people post about him more. It's like shooting fish in a barrell. The attitude of "I don't like Wiggins so no-one is allowed to mention him" has possibly had the opposite effect to what you desire...
  • Crankbrother
    I don't mind a bit of twitter meltdown every now and again, so long as it's not psuedo journalists or doping evangelists ... Should we resurrect viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12623642&p=15326983&hilit=Twitter#p15326983 and keep all the twitter stuff in one place?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    ddraver wrote:

They gave out something similar for the Cyclo but it was too long for my stem even after I'd cut it in half (and that's with a 13cm stem) - ended up on the top tube which I can confirm is a really bad place for it - impossible to look at it and look where you're going, especially over the cobbles. As such, Sky got it right and Trek got it wrong (I doubt Cancellara even looked at it).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Does it show how much Sky have improved at riding the classics? A couple of years ago Sky had some feel good poetry on the stem whilst Boonen had the cobbles mapped out.
  • ddraver
    BigMat wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

They gave out something similar for the Cyclo but it was too long for my stem even after I'd cut it in half (and that's with a 13cm stem) - ended up on the top tube which I can confirm is a really bad place for it - impossible to look at it and look where you're going, especially over the cobbles. As such, Sky got it right and Trek got it wrong (I doubt Cancellara even looked at it).

Ahhhh Dag nabbit!

I'd have put that on the Top Tube as a memento :(

s'what you get for not reaching the start till gone 9 I s'pose :oops:
    - @ddraver
  • Crankbrother
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I think to be honest there are more anti sky posters on here than pro.

Wiggo is one of the most successful cyclists this country has ever produced. It would be a bit naive to think there wouldnt be interest in him in a race he's competing in. The same as if it were an Italian forum when Nibali races or Contador in Spain etc.

I think the problem might be your reaction to the mere mention of Wiggins is so OTT people post about him more. It's like shooting fish in a barrell. The attitude of "I don't like Wiggins so no-one is allowed to mention him" has possibly had the opposite effect to what you desire...

People like the think they're getting me to 'bite' but in nearly all cases I've brought my own condiments ...

Only exception is the racing threads where I think folks need to keep things less 'Brit-centric' and allow others to enjoy the threads/posts without jabbering on about BW ... As I said in the RvV spoiler thread on Sunday, he was only doing the job of faceless gregario, a job many others were doing better but with no hoopla from you lot ...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    But you predicted he wouldn't be seen at the pointy end then when he was, towing G back into contention, you moved the goal posts and said 'ah but he's not in the break or chase group'. If he hadn't been seen all race do you think the 'haters' (and I don't necessarily mean you) would have ignored the fact?
  • ddraver
    ^^ Maybe point that out then? I.e. "Terpstra is doing a hell of a job for Boonen here" rather than the insults we usually get
    - @ddraver
  • Crankbrother
    ddraver wrote:
    ^^ Maybe point that out then? I.e. "Terpstra is doing a hell of a job for Boonen here" rather than the insults we usually get

You have Carlton Kirby stating the obvious, you shouldn't need my help :wink:

I'm not here to convince you that Wiggins is not the second coming ... I'm just asking you to wipe up after yourselves ...