Ronde Van Vlaanderen 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It had to be poker, I agree he was knackered but I doubt he was more knackered than Vanmarcke, I think he's learnt he can't tow everyone to the line and still win, was it MSR a few years back he was beaten doing that?

^this.

Cancellara has been criticised in the last couple of years for crying when he tows others to the line and being one dimensional in his tactics. I'm sure if we dug out the threads with Nuyens win at RVV and Van Summeren's P-R win when he downed tools with Hushovd on his wheel we'd find the criticism.

However, yesterday he used a bit of guile and brinkmanship and Vanmarcke blinked first. I for one thought he was bluffing and the fact that he has recently sat back in one or two of the races and missed the cut perhaps Vanmarcke couldn't trust him to bridge. Good riding IMO
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:
    Yeh, not sure I agree. Have to have a look at it again but as far as I remember Fabian really struggled to close that gap. Vanmarcke did it in seconds. Vanmarcke was only beaten by GVA in being today's 'motm'. He attacked numerous times before following Fabian without any problems. I think Fabian was saved by that last km of track-esque riding and the fact that Vanmarcke 'towed' him back to Vandenbergh and GVA.

Pretty much agree with this. Cancellara was the strongest rider but he's not strong enough to force a huge selection on the Kwaremont, take the Paterberg full gas and then tow Sep up to the leading group, then drive that bigger group to safety, then close down any attacks in the last few kilometres. It's just not going to happen.

He was playing hardball with around 10km to go in trying to get Sep to do proper turns. But when that attack went in the final few kms I think he would have really struggled to close it down without Sep. A couple of times you could see he was working really hard to get back to the wheel.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I love seeing the tactics when it's a break of four at the finale - it just seems the perfect number for everyone to be a factor
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Sweet Jesus and the baby orphans....That was one fantastic race. Loved it, loved it.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just back in from my excursion! Ended up watching about 100m from the top of the Kwaremont then watching the finish on the big screen at the top whilst stood on a wheely bin!

Thoughts:

Canc looked super strong all 3 times, Wiggins looked surprisingly awesome 2nd time up, great finish, womens race excellent, biggest cheer of the day for Devolder off the back the last time up, when Aussies and Belgian police collide there will be only one winner.

Was Devolder looking very battered? French commentators said his left side was all cut up after the 2nd crash but the cameraman didnt show this.

How did the temporary rope barriers work along the climbs?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    Well I can't say that I had a bad weekend really...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You finish the route fine? How much of the race did you manage to catch?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lots of good photos as expected. This set is particularly good:
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/04/the-t ... in-photos/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Just back in from my excursion! Ended up watching about 100m from the top of the Kwaremont then watching the finish on the big screen at the top whilst stood on a wheely bin!

Thoughts:

Canc looked super strong all 3 times, Wiggins looked surprisingly awesome 2nd time up, great finish, womens race excellent, biggest cheer of the day for Devolder off the back the last time up, when Aussies and Belgian police collide there will be only one winner.

Was Devolder looking very battered? French commentators said his left side was all cut up after the 2nd crash but the cameraman didnt show this.

There's a pic knocking around of his left arm. Got so many massive bumps on it, it looks like yday's profile
  • frenchfighter

Thoughts:

There's a pic knocking around of his left arm. Got so many massive bumps on it, it looks like yday's profile

Yeah this one looks bad but need a better one:
    BkkT6GAIYAEd_Jf.jpg
    Devolder crashes way too much imo. This race he probably knows every turn and these races are everything to him yet he still crashes almost every race once or thrice. I reckon his bike handling and positioning are not great given the big guns never seem to have a problem.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    WATSON-00003741030_3116061.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333

Thoughts:

Yeah this one looks bad but need a better one:
    BkkT6GAIYAEd_Jf.jpg
    Devolder crashes way too much imo. This race he probably knows every turn and these races are everything to him yet he still crashes almost every race once or thrice. I reckon his bike handling and positioning are not great given the big guns never seem to have a problem.

Like Cancellara in the Olympics? Crashes happen...
  • frenchfighter
    Great article on Cancellara.

“Yes. Yes. Every race. I prefer to win less, but what I win, I win in a strong way. It keeps for me, and it stands out to myself. That’s why, when people ask me, ‘when was your best moment? What was your biggest victory?’ It starts from ’06 and ends last year,” Cancellara said this spring in an extended interview with VeloNews and Het Nieuwsblad. “I mean, find me a victory please that I could say, ‘Hmm, that just came.’”

“I think quality comes first. I don’t want to have something crap. Something bad. I stand out for the best in what I’m doing.”

“You’re in the war, you’re in the fight. You want to show your strength,” Cancellara said of the waning hours of a classic. “You want to show you’re the strongest. And then when you win and you have this feeling, this new experience … tactics and feelings and mentality and power and luck and so many things, and it’s just something beautiful.”

20130331-3S3A6297-659x440.jpg

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... -us_322798

The way you win matters. He never ceases to secure his position in the pantheon of the greats.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    BkjDZTlCYAAuKMc.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    To be fair to Devolder, once he crashed the first time he would have had to make his way back through the peloton with the increased risk of further crashes and then had to do it again and again so he never really got much chance to be up front where it is safer.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited April 2014
    So, now I ve got a bit of time, I ll make you al Jealous!

What a Weekend. You HAVE to ride the sportive once if you re one of those cycling Pro Cycling fans. If you re British, just to ride over proper cobblestones is an experience. I thought having done so much MTBing that I'd know what to expect but hell no, they re like nothing I ve ever done before! My wrists are still sore! Managed to get up all the climbs (thankyou SRAM WiFli 34x32) except the Kopperberg because someone proper stacked in front of me. I would ve shouted at him but he hit the ground like a sack of Vlaamse Aardappelen so I couldn't really. Had to walk up the steeper bit but then used the barriers to remount. Having had a rest I could power up past all the other riders so got a lot of cheers for a fat bloke! Watching a line of riders in front and behind as far as you could see was wonderful. There were bits when you gradually get feelings of deja vu when you think "I've seen this before..." and you know that something fun is coming :evil: ;)

Having Enjoyed a bit too much of Belgum's finest in the bar on Saturday Night (I don't like Dance Music but the 2 best DJ's I ve ever heard were in Belgium) we got up a tad late and missed the girls start which was a bit of a shame. Had a nice walk around the finish line then went to watch the race go past in Oudenaarde Square which was fun. Then watched it on the big screen in a bar before walking up the watch my mate Ellen take the win. Then we walked down to the 500m to go point to another Big Screen to watch the race unfold.

What a race eh? Cancellara was epic! Thought the Sky Boys did pretty well. We did nt realise that Thomas had crashed so that made a bit of sense. There were a lot of very narked off people in OPQS jerseys at the end (isnt it amazing how cycling kit in Belgium is worn just like football kit in the UK?). The Tom Boonen Fan Club were next to us and were pretty quiet except for that little dig he did with Terpstra (tuns out I was better at Dutch than I thought I could follow the Sporza OKish.

The 4 riders came past us at the end so slowly you could get a proper look at them. Unfortunately we were all so glued to the big screen that we missed most of the others. Kristoff came past going so fast i thought he was sure to catch them but no. Not sure Wiggo appreciated me bellowing in his face much either. ;)

Sagan must have been too tired after 3DddP, he looked utterly miserable as he came past. I couldnt help but give him a shout too though.

Unfortunately we had to leave to make the sprint for the ferry (which we made with ease) so couldnt hang around after the race. Next year i l make sure I can stay on Sunday night too (my colleague had to get back for work)

It's so easy to get to for most of South England and it's a great great weekend. If you re a cycling fan, you have to get over there one year!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Managed to get up all the climbs (thankyou SRAM WiFli 34x32) except the Kopperberg because someone proper stacked in front of me.

Should have ridden over him! :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I got up them all. Guy fell infront of me on the Koppenberg but a fan stuck his arm out and held my arse till the chap was out of my way. No foot down :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    Managed to get up all the climbs (thankyou SRAM WiFli 34x32) except the Kopperberg because someone proper stacked in front of me.

Should have ridden over him! :D

Yeah, we were right on the edge, the guy in front fell then the less than bike-skilled guy in front of me stopped and pushed his bike back into mine as he unclipped so we sort of fell over each other giggling like schoolgirls.

To be honest, given the fun of riding past everyone in the top 100m and being shouted on it was kinda worth it ;P
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I got up them all. Guy fell infront of me on the Koppenberg but a fan stuck his arm out and held my ars* till the chap was out of my way. No foot down :)

Those Belgians eh? Any excuse to cop a feel!
  • ddraver
    Sep Vanmarcke ‏@sepvanmarcke
    3th in #RVV ! Yes! Fuck! Yes! Fuck! Yes! Fuck! Yes! Fuck! 2 different feelings crossing my mind...

I'm so proud & happy with the teammates I have!!! Great support, strong & smart!!! & not to forget the whole @TeamBelkin staff! Yes RT that!

From now on it's all about rest and focus on Paris-Roubaix! #TotallyCobbled
    BknF_mSIAAASfcF.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    ddraver wrote:
    Sep Vanmarcke ‏@sepvanmarcke
    3th in #RVV ! Yes! fark! Yes! fark! Yes! fark! Yes! fark! 2 different feelings crossing my mind...

I'm so proud & happy with the teammates I have!!! Great support, strong & smart!!! & not to forget the whole @TeamBelkin staff! Yes RT that!

From now on it's all about rest and focus on Paris-Roubaix! #TotallyCobbled
    BknF_mSIAAASfcF.jpg

:lol: That photo gets better the longer you look at it.
  • frenchfighter
    Re-watching the JVS crash it's pretty weird. Every other rider is no where near the middle as it is clearly marked with large white chevrons. JVS comes straight down the middle of it. I'm guessing he wasn't looking where he was going.
    The race organisation did not want to communicate much about the situation, stating only, "She is still in the intensive care unit in hospital. The organization regrets the accident and sympathizes with the family," in a press release.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 2532411_orig.jpg
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Re-watching the JVS crash it's pretty weird. Every other rider is no where near the middle as it is clearly marked with large white chevrons. JVS comes straight down the middle of it. I'm guessing he wasn't looking where he was going.

You really do want VS to have this 'on his shoulders' as you put it yesterday, don't you..
  • milton50
    Great story ddraver. Sounds awesome! I'll have to get over there one year and ride the famous climbs. I'll have to give my wrists...errm....you know..a workout.
  • milton50
    I got up them all.

Aren't you ridiculously light?
  • Not sure about the mascot on Sep's pillow...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Milton50 wrote:
    I got up them all.

Aren't you ridiculously light?

54kg.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest