Ronde Van Vlaanderen 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• talius
    talius Posts: 282
    That was brilliant. And brutal, only half the riders finished - http://rvv.pro.p.assets.flandersclassic ... 1396799329
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Is it me or are Sky getting less rubbish at the classics

But still no cigar.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    That was a great race, really enjoyed that, I do wish there was a climb nearer the end but can't really complain.

What a great finish.

Sagan, Boonen, Thomas et al all poor.

Not really poor, especially Sagan who got left trying to close the gap alone yet again. He's a victim of his own success and needs to learn how to bluff.

He needs to stop being the nearly man. Seems to lack Cancelleras tactical skill

Yep, I agree. As I said, he needs to bluff and be prepared to lose (or at least make the others think he is). That's obviously easier when you already have palmares like Canc though. He hasn't got that out and out power though either.

Maybe poor isn't fair. but he doesn't seem to have it in these races, he will win uphill sprints in stage races, because he has other teams there to work as well as his own. He doesn't have the tactical awareness, but then he is young. I feel he has to pick something and stick with it, like target point jersey's in stage races, or focus more on one dayers.

I wonder if Froome learned his attacking stylle from Canc, he seems to just up the cadence by ten and blows everyone off. I think he was one of the first people who made me fall in love with the sport. Shame Boonen doesn't seem up to it anymore, but then his head is probably everywhere but focusing on a bike race. He deserves every credit for even thinking about racing.
  • Couldn't take my eyes off that race, incredible
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The best bit was Cirby's

"hes did to him, what he did to him... last year."
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Fortune favours the brave. OPQS wasnt brave. Total embarrassment to Belgium cycling. Four strong riders in that group. Lotto no where - crashed a lot too...think their dr needs to stop prescribing tamadol.

Very happy Cancellera won again as he was the strongest even if he is not as strong as in the past. Really wanted GVA to win - 100% proof racer - he deserves a big win. His solo effort was very impressive and he would have won solo if Cancellera wasnt in the race.

260km race and the winning move was made with 2 climbs to go. The gap between 2 and 3 is way too long leading to defensive riding from everyone.

Shame Devolder crashed twice - still battled tho.

Without Sagan Cannondale wouldn't be in the PT. Sagan didnt have the legs today. Geraint did well as did Wiggins. Shame he had to crash.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Damn good race that.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    As if anyone expected different. Sagan isn't in the same stratosphere when canc drops
    It. Very few are. With one more hill on today's race he's have own solo with little bother.

Cycling is fairly simple. Make the watts. Win the race. He dropped the hammer and it was selection made. He's not a bad sprinter despite his TT routes.

Boonen raced like a man who knew he wasn't going to contend. He was on the front 60 miles from the finish. Idiot. Sagan is still lacking when the big boys at the big races give it some, losing some weight would do him good probably.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • frenchfighter
    With this Van Sum crash I read that the spectator had walked out but from the one video ive seen it looks like she didnt move from the central reservation? If so Van Sum will have her outcome on his shoulders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I missed what happened to Geraint Thomas, inrng said he crashed at an inopportune moment. I thought he'd got tailed off but ended up finishing ahead of EBH in 8th.
  • frenchfighter
    Pozzato short.

Respect to Leukemans placing - no support and went for it himself.

Cancellara looking very lean on top.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Dowsett didn't finish, didn't see what happened there. Wiggo back at 32nd Crankbrother ;-)

Bit of a funny one for OPQS. Surprised we didn't see more from Stybar.
  • frenchfighter
    thegibdog wrote:
    I missed what happened to Geraint Thomas, inrng said he crashed at an inopportune moment. I thought he'd got tailed off but ended up finishing ahead of EBH in 8th.

He crashed yeah. Was behind the Ebh group but fought like a champ to pull himself all the way back and went straight to the front, got dropped later on, dragged himself back and then went again placing very well. Think he did best of any of the riders behind the first group.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    thegibdog wrote:
    I missed that too, there was a lot going on at the end of the race though so chances are the director didn't pick it up.
  • frenchfighter
    Bak over 8mins back.

Scott T finished.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Wanted to change my avatar to Cancellara this morning but had no access to my pc. Cant wait to change this Terpstra one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Wanted to change my avatar to Cancellara this morning but had no access to my pc. Cant wait to change this Terpstra one.
    Nobody cares.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    thegibdog wrote:

He crashed yeah. Was behind the Ebh group but fought like a champ to pull himself all the way back and went straight to the front, got dropped later on, dragged himself back and then went again placing very well. Think he did best of any of the riders behind the first group.

Typical SKY fanboy... :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    Cancellara saying he didnt have legs in the finale hence why he didnt attack and saved it all for the sprint.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    tumblr_n3m8cnmuKG1qbw072o1_400.gif
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    That made epic viewing and highly entertaining reading. Well played.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    With this Van Sum crash I read that the spectator had walked out but from the one video ive seen it looks like she didnt move from the central reservation? If so Van Sum will have her outcome on his shoulders.

Harsh, they were stood in an island in the centre of the road. Who knows why van Summeren hit the island but I'm pretty sure he would have avoided it if possible. People hit refuge islands quite frequently, they are a ridiculous place to stand.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    That was a horrific looking crash ^^^^. Very worrying that she lay immobile. Absolutely not her fault
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    johnboy183 wrote:
    That was a horrific looking crash ^^^^. Very worrying that she lay immobile. Absolutely not her fault

Can't bring myself to watch it, but would she not have been safer at the side of the road than in the middle of it?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    johnboy183 wrote:

I wouldn't say it was her fault but not really a smart place to stand is it? Had it been because the riders left the road to gain positions then it would have been a different matter but standing in the middle of the road on an island is just... Especially if you are 65 and perhaps not as 'alert' to your surroundings. (not that anyone else could have avoided it, I guess.)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    ThomThom wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:

I wouldn't say it was her fault but not really a smart place to stand is it? Had it been because the riders left the road to gain positions then it would have been a different matter but standing in the middle of the road on an island is just... Especially if you are 65 and perhaps not as 'alert' to your surroundings.

This exactly. van Sum hadn't jumped a kerb to gain an advantage. As I said above, it's like spectators who stand on the outside of bends watching rallying. They are off the course but are in prime position for something to go wrong.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    bring back the muur. Good race though, agree OPQS should have done better than they did, top ride by GVA
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited April 2014
    I'm not sure how Muur can be brought up after a race like this. It won't get any better.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Fortune favours the brave. OPQS wasnt brave. Total embarrassment to Belgium cycling. Four strong riders in that group. Lotto no where - crashed a lot too...think their dr needs to stop prescribing tamadol.

How many Saxo-Tinkoff riders went down in Devolder's final crash, 4? 5? I think another team doctor ought to lay off the tramadol prescriptions.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:

I wouldn't say it was her fault but not really a smart place to stand is it? Had it been because the riders left the road to gain positions then it would have been a different matter but standing in the middle of the road on an island is just... Especially if you are 65 and perhaps not as 'alert' to your surroundings.

This exactly. van Sum hadn't jumped a kerb to gain an advantage. As I said above, it's like spectators who stand on the outside of bends watching rallying. They are off the course but are in prime position for something to go wrong.

While you or I wouldn't stand there, casual spectators who don't understand the risks will do, unfortunately. Ultimately it's up to the organisers to ensure they're safe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format