Henao withdrawn from racing

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's no more a conflict of interest than the Chief of Police's son living in his jurisdiction

It's only a conflict interest if there is a specific interest to be conflicted over. Their mere existence is not.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ok whatever, I think it is, if you dont, I dont really care and cant be bothered to argue the toss.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't see it being a problem. OC is a very small part of Sky - its not like he's Dave Brailsford or something.

A lot of businesses have family connections.

That Ad was a bit funny. I'm not sure I fancy riding that road if there's a Jag hurtling down the road to me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    People are aware of the relationship. If anything comes up that could be seen as a risk of bias then Cookson Snr would presumably declare an interest and take no part in the decision. This happens in all walks of life such as Council planning committees. It would be impossible for no business / authority to be in a position where their decisions don't affect families and friends. The biggest issue is often people over compensate and avoid making a decision that is perfectly reasonable because they don't want to be seen as being biased.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    The biggest issue is often people over compensate and avoid making a decision that is perfectly reasonable because they don't want to be seen as being biased.
    David Walsh said that about reporting on Tiernan Locke, saying that his editor thought they had to give it more attention that it probably merited due to ownership links between Sky and the Sunday Times.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Do you realise that in business, politics, sports, whatever, some decisions are affected by relationships? It really is not a stretch of the imagination to understand this.

I'm not saying it will, but the possibility and the temptation certainly is.

The man signing the pay checks for Purito and the rest of Katusha has been a senior member of the UCI Management Committee for years. If you're perturbed about possible ramifications of connections and relationships relating to a lowly team gopher, then Katusha's owner being on the top table of the governing body must surely be of more major concern?

But that's different, it's not Team SKY and it does not relate to British riders so we'll let that one pass. SKY are always up to no good, in fact they are evil.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Ok whatever, I think it is, if you dont, I dont really care and cant be bothered to argue the toss.
    You might find this article interesting Frenchie: http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/all-aboard-the-magic-bus/
    While we wait, Oli Cookson gets chatting. Apropos of nothing in particular, he says: “I just wanted to say I didn’t get this job because of my dad.” His father is Brian Cookson, president of British Cycling and a board member of Tour Racing Limited, the company that owns Team Sky. “In fact, I nearly didn’t get the job because of who my dad is and how it might look.”
    It’s a fair point. Last year, UK Sport and British Cycling commissioned the auditor, Deloitte, to examine the relationship between Team Sky and the national federation. Cookson previously worked as a landscape architect and urban designer in Madrid but spent some time on last year’s Tour with Sky. He fitted in well and then worked on the Vuelta a Espana, partly because he is fluent in Spanish.

The team was rocked by the death of Txema Gonzalez, one of the carers, during the race. Gonzalez was taken ill when he contracted a bacterial infection, which worsened and entered the bloodstream causing damage to his internal organs and bringing on septic shock. It was a terrible time. “I was one of the only people on the team who could speak English and Spanish,” he says. “I was translating at the hospital and then I was translating between Dave and Txema’s family. It was absolutely terrible. We were all in tears.”

Cookson’s role on the team is broad. He helps lug the riders’ mattresses from hotel to hotel.

“People joke about it, but having a good night’s sleep is one of the most important parts of recovery,” he says. “It also helps minimise the risk of allergies.”

Cyclists’ lungs are put under stress every day and can be susceptible to irritation. Breathing in dust from a hotel mattress every night can exacerbate any breathing problems. “Some hotels are fine but you go into others and you wouldn’t want to sleep there. During the Giro, the carpet was so dusty I could write the word ‘Sky’ on the floor with my finger. We seal up our mattresses and transport them with us for big races.”

Cookson also helps plan logistics and he translates for Zandio and Uran, who joined from Caisse d’Epargne during the winter and are picking up English slowly. Portal also speaks Spanish having ridden with Caisse d’Epargne, so between them they can get the message across.
  • frenchfighter
    Nice one, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    mroli wrote:
    You might find this article interesting Frenchie: http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/all-aboard-the-magic-bus/
    While we wait, Oli Cookson gets chatting. Apropos of nothing in particular, he says: “I just wanted to say I didn’t get this job because of my dad.” His father is Brian Cookson, president of British Cycling and a board member of Tour Racing Limited, the company that owns Team Sky. “In fact, I nearly didn’t get the job because of who my dad is and how it might look.”
    It’s a fair point. Last year, UK Sport and British Cycling commissioned the auditor, Deloitte, to examine the relationship between Team Sky and the national federation. Cookson previously worked as a landscape architect and urban designer in Madrid but spent some time on last year’s Tour with Sky. He fitted in well and then worked on the Vuelta a Espana, partly because he is fluent in Spanish.

The team was rocked by the death of Txema Gonzalez, one of the carers, during the race. Gonzalez was taken ill when he contracted a bacterial infection, which worsened and entered the bloodstream causing damage to his internal organs and bringing on septic shock. It was a terrible time. “I was one of the only people on the team who could speak English and Spanish,” he says. “I was translating at the hospital and then I was translating between Dave and Txema’s family. It was absolutely terrible. We were all in tears.”

Cookson’s role on the team is broad. He helps lug the riders’ mattresses from hotel to hotel.

“People joke about it, but having a good night’s sleep is one of the most important parts of recovery,” he says. “It also helps minimise the risk of allergies.”

Cyclists’ lungs are put under stress every day and can be susceptible to irritation. Breathing in dust from a hotel mattress every night can exacerbate any breathing problems. “Some hotels are fine but you go into others and you wouldn’t want to sleep there. During the Giro, the carpet was so dusty I could write the word ‘Sky’ on the floor with my finger. We seal up our mattresses and transport them with us for big races.”

Cookson also helps plan logistics and he translates for Zandio and Uran, who joined from Caisse d’Epargne during the winter and are picking up English slowly. Portal also speaks Spanish having ridden with Caisse d’Epargne, so between them they can get the message across.

Well, from what you've posted above, sounds like a sinecure to me. Obviously just sitting in there doing f-all and being paid loads 'cos of his dad. He's probably even getting tip-offs from Cookson snr about any drug testing too I'd say :wink:
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ^obviously not the one about the bio passport test in Colombia in Oct tho

8)
  • frenchfighter
    When do we see this guy back to racing? Sky have smoked his season already and are now smoking the fan's enjoyment. Any news on the outcome of these tests?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    When do we see this guy back to racing? Sky have smoked his season already and are now smoking the fan's enjoyment. Any news on the outcome of these tests?!

The original press release said no racing for at least 8 weeks and that was about 7 weeks ago. I'm not sure if Sky are scheduled for anything whilst the Giro or Cali are running but I doubt it so it's going to be at least another couple of weeks even if the testing gets completed at the earliest opportunity and everyone is happy with the results.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    He hopes to return at Tour de Suisse.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Yes they should have put the "fans" first rather than take a pro-active stance on bio-passport anomalies :roll:
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    He couldn't have picked a better year to have bio passport issues. The way the stage racers have been going, he'd have been knackered anyway.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    https://twitter.com/HectorUCiclismo/sta ... 0900698112

Henao heading to Europe to get ready for TdF
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    So Sky could have Froome, Wiggins, Porte, Henao, Kennagh and Thomas in the Tour squad? Would seem a bit of overkill.
  • Turfle
    Nieve, Lopez, Kiryienka too don't forget.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Possibly overkill but the tour is always the main objective. Best to send their top riders if that's their main aim.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Given how isolated Froome was at times last season, then surely going with the strongest team they can field makes sense?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    No matter what Brailsford does it won't please the bike radar audience ;-)

To use a football analogy, this is sky's world cup final. Bring your best players!
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    iirc Cav wasn't too complimentary in his book about the two Colombians in the 2012 Giro, saying they were never where they should have been or words to that effect. Is Henao a better team player now?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Lots of paper strength. But due to the lack of racing (how can they know Porte will last more than a week?) they're even more reliant on Kerrison's "numbers" than last year. Bonkers.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Jesus that potential squad seems a bit strong. Possibly lose a decent climber or two to replace with a couple of flatlands men. I dont thi k henao will be there.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Turfle
    Macaloon wrote:
    Lots of paper strength. But due to the lack of racing (how can they know Porte will last more than a week?) they're even more reliant on Kerrison's "numbers" than last year. Bonkers.

It's only Porte and Henao.

Froome (3 more race days so far than this time last year), Wiggins, Lopez, Nieve, Kiryienka, Kennaugh, Thomas will all have had plenty of racing. As have Knees and Zandio if they're called upon.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:

To be fair how can they know any of them will last the first week? They could fall off in the neutralized zone on stage one (hello Mr Froome) and break their collarbone.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    There's also the Dauphiné coming up to determine race fitness.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

To be fair how can they know any of them will last the first week? They could fall off in the neutralized zone on stage one (hello Mr Froome) and break their collarbone.

Why do you think the Tour squad will perform so much better than the Giro team: high watermark ~ 19th on GC from Siutsou, good enough for selection to several Tour squads.

Edit: To mix sports, this looks like Blairism to me: winning an election/Tour then having no idea what to do next. Spectacular 12 month collapse in performance, with precious few exceptions :D

_42905843_cylcing_pa300x300.jpg
    A wheelsucking Mandy, lurks.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Why do you think the Tour squad will perform so much better than the Giro team: high watermark ~ 19th on GC from Siutsou, good enough for selection to several Tour squads.

Edit: To mix sports, this looks like Blairism to me: winning an election/Tour then having no idea what to do next. Spectacular 12 month collapse in performance, with precious few exceptions :D

_42905843_cylcing_pa300x300.jpg
    A wheelsucking Mandy, lurks.

I don't. I'm saying we cannot know everything. There are too many variables. You can have great form on paper and you can fall off. You can be weaker than the competition and they can fall off. All you can do is turn up with the best possible team you can put together for the parcours, control what you can control and for everything else hope that lady luck is also on your side.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    I don't. I'm saying we cannot know everything. There are too many variables. You can have great form on paper and you can fall off. You can be weaker than the competition and they can fall off. All you can do is turn up with the best possible team you can put together for the parcours, control what you can control and for everything else hope that lady luck is also on your side.

I was talking about the application of bleeding-edge sports science. Not acts of god :roll:

The stage race team was cooked on arrival at the 2013 Tour. They don't care about the Vuelta. World championships LOL. Other than Froome, Wiggo, and some classics guys, the stage-race squad has been invisible in big races this year. Porte is their 2nd highest CQ-ranked rider (43rd). They have 2 riders in Top 50 of the Giro (31st and 43rd). AG2R have 2 riders (6th & 14th) in the top 20.

If Froome goes down they don't even have a plan C. That's a pathetic record.