Henao withdrawn from racing

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    They look at the power files of every session of every rider. They don't have to fly people around the world to collect them. If a rider suddenly starts doing his 400w for half an hour drill at 20bpm lower than he has ever done previously that's probably a better indicator of dodginess than a one off blood test.
    Riders dope to improve performance. So if they are doping it will show in their performance.

Not sure it necessarily follows that you can pick things up through that data - if they're training properly, this should also show in their performance. Otherwise why bother?
    Yes, of course. But doping gives an almost instantaneous benefit, while training is more gradual. It's not the change that is important, but the rate of change. And they are getting this information on a daily basis - rather than the occasional test which you get with blood.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    We should bear in mind though that that hypothesis has been arrived at by people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

What with this and missing planes I've had my fill of conspiracy hypothesists (I won't give them the honour of calling them theorists) for one week.
    What's remarkable is how many of theories are based on the theorist's terrible reading comprehension. (Not the Velorooms one)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    They could merge into one giant integrated conspiracy theory

I've discovered the unifying theory.

Waits patiently to be spoken to
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:

Go on then. Spill the beans.

EDIT - But not if its altitude, Sky/the sky or variations thereof.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Macaloon wrote:

Marvin_the_Paranoid_Android_costume.jpg

Ive just worked out the square root of -1, it's never been worked out before, it's always been though impossible
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? Because I don't.

Incidentally, there are two square roots of -1. Not impossible, just imaginary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    Sorry, did I say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it oh God I'm so depressed.
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    You don't really want to know. You're just pretending to be interested.

[Even further OT - They're running the original radio series on radio 4 extra at the moment. For a period piece it's uncannily prophetic]
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Macaloon wrote:
    You don't really want to know. You're just pretending to be interested.

[Even further OT - They're running the original radio series on radio 4 extra at the moment. For a period piece it's uncannily prophetic]

To my shame, I've never heard the original radio series. :oops:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I have a signed first edition...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    Worth finding, it must be cheap on amazon/itunes somewhere - nothing better for a long drive.
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Dave (Dim) ‏@dimspace · 39m
    @franmillar Fran, are you able to confirm if the Henao issue is related to the new steroidal element of the bio passport, specifically 1/2

Fran Millar ‏@franmillar · 13m
    @dimspace Hi Dave, as per the statement the tests in questions are CADF ABP blood tests. (1)

Fran Millar ‏@franmillar · 11m
    @dimspace this was the first time our altitude native athletes were tested as part of the ABP at home in Colombia. (2

Fran Millar ‏@franmillar · 12m
    @dimspace Thought that was clear in the statement, happy to clarify though, after this weekend I am not keen to engage much more. (3)

Dave (Dim)‏@dimspace ·
    @franmillar ah ok. now that makes much more sense. the colombian labs have never done abp sampling before.

Dave (Dim)‏@dimspace ·
    @franmillar that actually clears it up a lot. it said "new tests" and things were a bit confusing to a lot of people.

Dave (Dim) ‏@dimspace · 10m
    The new element of the test is that Colombian athletes have never been tested for Bio Passport purposes before while in colombia

Fran Millar ‏@franmillar · 8m
    @dimspace Our athletes - not sure if other Colombians have been tested we haven't had them on our athletes before. Just to be totally clear
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Been reading those on VRs.
    So................from when Quintana climbed off his bike after LBL, went home and returned to France, just in time for the Tour presentation......................his BP wasn't tested or updated.
    Good to know.

All available power to the Clinic deflectors, Scotty....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    So the half-baked theory that someone on an internet forum invented off the top of their head turned out to be wrong? There's a surprise.
  • tailwindhome
    http://t.co/AOZddXFDgA

He's calm apparently
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Hopes to be back racing TdS and the Tour

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/r ... video.html
  • tailwindhome
    So Oli Cookson, son of UCI president Brian Cookson is in Colombia with Henao?

Sometimes I think Sky do these things just to wind people up.....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    I'm sure RR can shed more light, but isn't Oli Cookson fluent in Spanish so it would make sense to send him out there rather than someone who didn't speak the language?

Personally I think it's encouraging that the team are prepared to have someone out in Colombia supporting Henao through this.
  • Richmond Racer

He's been working for Sky ever since Autumn 2010. Speaks fluent Spanish, and acts as a bridge with the Spanish and Colombian riders on the team, amongst other things.

His employment by the team has never been a secret - he's been mentioned in everything from Lionel Birnie features on being embedded with the team during races, to Richard Moore's Sky's the Limit, and even featured in an entire chapter in David Walsh's book.

If Henao was under investigation by the UCI, maybe flutterings of disquiet would be understandable. But he's not. This is a team-led, team-driven exercise. They've sent OC out with the Henaos as chaparone to Sergio, partly so that he feels supported by the team, also OC goes out with him and Sebastien on training rides etc - pretty much living with him.

Photo of him out in Colombia out training with the Henao cousins and Rigo Uran, on Rigo's Twitter feed. Also picture of him with Sergio and well known Colombian anti-doping movers and shakers, one evening last week, if you're interested.

You cant miss him - he bears more than a passing resemblance to Wiggins.
  • Richmond Racer
    OC in action on a bike, if anyone's interested

http://www.teamsky.com/video/0,27287,17 ... 76,00.html
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    OC in action on a bike, if anyone's interested

http://www.teamsky.com/video/0,27287,17 ... 76,00.html

Interesting indeed.
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12961499&p=18776278&hilit=sky+jag#p18776278

How does him being in that work from a commercial perspective?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

He's been working for Sky ever since Autumn 2010. Speaks fluent Spanish, and acts as a bridge with the Spanish and Colombian riders on the team, amongst other things.

His employment by the team has never been a secret - he's been mentioned in everything from Lionel Birnie features on being embedded with the team during races, to Richard Moore's Sky's the Limit, and even featured in an entire chapter in David Walsh's book.

If Henao was under investigation by the UCI, maybe flutterings of disquiet would be understandable. But he's not. This is a team-led, team-driven exercise. They've sent OC out with the Henaos as chaparone to Sergio, partly so that he feels supported by the team, also OC goes out with him and Sebastien on training rides etc - pretty much living with him.

Photo of him out in Colombia out training with the Henao cousins and Rigo Uran, on Rigo's Twitter feed. Also picture of him with Sergio and well known Colombian anti-doping movers and shakers, one evening last week, if you're interested.

4 year contract.
    http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/29-04-2 ... 7918.shtml

To be honest it really is not acceptable. You can say both he and Cookson senior are honest etc but if your son came to you and asked about something that would benefit Sky (like a new tech invention only they have as the first example that springs to mind) then it would be a lot harder to say no then if it was someone you had no connection with.

What is Cookson juniors credentials? i know nothing about him and am wondering whether he is in this position due to merit or because his father is who he is?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    4 year contract.

To be honest it really is not acceptable. You can say both he and Cookson senior are honest etc but if your son came to you and asked about something that would benefit Sky (like a new tech invention only they have as the first example that springs to mind) then it would be a lot harder to say no then if it was someone you had no connection with.

What is Cookson juniors credentials? i know nothing about him and am wondering whether he is in this position due to merit or because his father is who he is?

Were you as outspoken about other members of the McQuaid family being involved in cycling whist Pat was head of the UCI?
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172

4 year contract.

Really? You think that sort of thing would go on without the rest of the UCI having a say?

Maybe his son would call him the day before the Tour asking if a new rule could be imposed so that British riders get a 10 minute head start? Or that all sprints will be won by a Sky Rider?

If it was my child asking me for preferential treatment then I'd say no more readily than I would with anybody else.
  • frenchfighter
    Do you realise that in business, politics, sports, whatever, some decisions are affected by relationships? It really is not a stretch of the imagination to understand this.

I'm not saying it will, but the possibility and the temptation certainly is.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Are some people still under the impression that the UCI is just one person?
  • Richmond Racer
    Do you realise that in business, politics, sports, whatever, some decisions are affected by relationships? It really is not a stretch of the imagination to understand this.

The man signing the pay checks for Purito and the rest of Katusha has been a senior member of the UCI Management Committee for years. If you're perturbed about possible ramifications of connections and relationships relating to a lowly team gopher, then Katusha's owner being on the top table of the governing body must surely be of more major concern?
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah absolutely. Irrespective of the team is should not be allowed. Why would anyone think it is ok?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172

Although it is not impossible it is very improbable that this would happen.

Given the recent history of the UCI I would have thought a situation like this would be avoided by the relevant parties.