Tirreno-Adriatico 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    some good side-on (ish) pics here:

http://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/gallery ... llery.html

Quintana's position actually looks the best! Fabs looks a bit odd - cramped at the front
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I don't believe in drawing strong conclusions on ascent times based on everything I have read unless it is a complete outlier.

I like this chart though. Can't vouch for its accuracy.
    Bi_8C2hCMAAlyu7.png

Graph currently being quoted as evidence that Contador was faster than Basso.

:lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ^oh, that's pretty funny :)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    He wasn't faster, but clearly he climbed higher :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I don't believe in drawing strong conclusions on ascent times based on everything I have read unless it is a complete outlier.

I like this chart though. Can't vouch for its accuracy.
    Bi_8C2hCMAAlyu7.png

Graph currently being quoted as evidence that Contador was faster than Basso.

:lol:

Oh, where is WBT when you need him. :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    He wasn't faster, but clearly he climbed higher :lol:

UK Cycling Expert ‏@ukcyclingexpert · Mar 16
    Fabio Candelabra has been very quiet but don't be fooled - he's aiming to set a new Hour Record by being 1st to do it in less than 60mins!

Excuse the tangent
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    Some great quality pictures of today there.

That front wheel on the Movistar Canyon is a thing of beauty. The rest of the machine is not too shabby either!
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Be1rBY-CYAA_rZZ.jpg

Movistar's change to Canyon plus work in the wind tunnel is really paying off with their riders.
    Cheers FF.
  • mike6
    Yes. Much better position, but you also need lots of TT bike practice to be able to produce your optimum power in the new position, Its not as simple as simply lowering the front end and there you go.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Not sure if its already been posted but here's a screenshot from Eurosport of Castroviejo's position:

XGLl4yk.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha preying mantis a la Landis.
    Crozza wrote:

Quintana's position actually looks the best! Fabs looks a bit odd - cramped at the front

Nice one thanks. Agreed on Quintana - looks amazing but those Canyon TT bikes are beauts. The colour scheme is wonderful. So much better looking and performing than those pinarellos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    Crozza wrote:

Nice one thanks. Agreed on Quintana - looks amazing but those Canyon TT bikes are beauts. The colour scheme is wonderful. So much better looking and performing than those pinarellos.[/quote]

Doubt that very much. Doubt many Pro Teams, and certainly not Sky, would use a bike that was less than competitive.

Also with Sky's budget, and marginal gains, they would make sure they get the best available, or help to have it developed. I mean its fairly transparent you were only knocking the Pinarello because Sky ride them. Any excuse. :roll:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    What the flip is wrong with Frenchie this week?!?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    David Millar ‏@millarmind
    I'm proud to say that was my Greatest Ever Tirreno-Adriatico; and i'm not being sarcastic.

Not sure why? Is it that he's only done it once or something?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Crampeur wrote:
    Be1rBY-CYAA_rZZ.jpg

Movistar's change to Canyon plus work in the wind tunnel is really paying off with their riders.
    Cheers FF.

Looks like he's taken advantage of the saddle setback rule changes. The saddle looks well forward.
  • Richmond Racer
    ddraver wrote:
    David Millar ‏@millarmind
    I'm proud to say that was my Greatest Ever Tirreno-Adriatico; and i'm not being sarcastic.

Not sure why? Is it that he's only done it once or something?

Has usually ridden P-N rather than T-A. Only other time he rode T-A, he came 103rd. This time he came 83rd. So it really was his Greatest Ever Tirreno-Adriatico
  • inseine
    mike6 wrote:
    Crozza wrote:

Nice one thanks. Agreed on Quintana - looks amazing but those Canyon TT bikes are beauts. The colour scheme is wonderful. So much better looking and performing than those pinarellos.[/quote]

Doubt that very much. Doubt many Pro Teams, and certainly not Sky, would use a bike that was less than competitive.

Also with Sky's budget, and marginal gains, they would make sure they get the best available, or help to have it developed. I mean its fairly transparent you were only knocking the Pinarello because Sky ride them. Any excuse. :roll:

Possibly true with respect to the Graal, though the Bolide seems better. Still quite possible that the Canyon is better.
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting inseine - I didnt know there were saddle rule changes. May be why some of the positions today looked somewhat different to usual.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I love that graph takes the last 5.24km of the climb.

Not 5.23, not 5.25... 5.24.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inseine
    Interesting inseine - I didnt know there were saddle rule changes. May be why some of the positions today looked somewhat different to usual.

Nose of saddle used to have to be 5cm behind BB unless the rider was especially small, now it can be directly above BB. It's linked to bar extension position too. Clearly a lot more tunnel work, especially by Movistar.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Really good to see Quintana has put some work into his TT.

You can't really say much based on a 9km TT but it looks as though Wiggins has at least got some purpose/form for this season. Unlike last year when he just coasted through.

Also anyone notice Stijn Devolder up there in the top 10? Maybe he could be in decent shape going into Flanders.
  • Milton50 wrote:

You can't really say much based on a 9km TT but it looks as though Wiggins has at least got some purpose/form for this season. Unlike last year when he just coasted through.

Also anyone notice Stijn Devolder up there in the top 10? Maybe he could be in decent shape going into Flanders.

Reckon Wiggins looks like he's shaping up ok for PR, you wouldn't expect him to be climbing well if that's his focus and he showed today he's got something going.

Devolder will still get a good feeling in his legs the first weekend of April 20 years after he's passed away. It's just what he does.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Quintana looking good in the TT, if he can keep it up he will be looking good for the Giro.

Contador wins the prize of becoming Neptune.

In all seriousness it was a great ride from him. Looking good for the grand tours. Just a shame we never saw a face off with him and Froome. Gives us something to look forward too though.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Milton50 wrote:

yep - 100/1 on bet365 at the moment.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Reckon Wiggins looks like he's shaping up ok for PR, you wouldn't expect him to be climbing well if that's his focus and he showed today he's got something going.
    He'll be pleased he beat Martin and got close to Canc on such a short TT.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Richmond Racer
    Daz555 wrote:
    He'll be pleased he beat Martin and got close to Canc on such a short TT.

Wiggins also had a mechanical as he was setting off - gearing or chain problem - wasnt mentioned in race reports, but its on the vid footage. Carlton was predicting it would make him 'a very angry man' - but it didnt, no tantrums, just dealt with whatever it was and set off.

So generally I think he'll have been happy enough.
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting posts on Colombian fans attitude towards riders in Europe......

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2014/ ... es-of.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    did anyone else notice Contador's left leg wiggle he kept doing at the start?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Paul 8v wrote:

First signs of BSE / CJD appearing?

(sorry :oops: )
  • Paul 8v
    Pross wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

First signs of BSE / CJD appearing?

(sorry :oops: )
    You are a bad man!