Tirreno-Adriatico 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,976
    Anyone ever played Forge of Empires? It always looks like a bit of fun on the adverts.
  • Pross
    Eurosport appear to have lost coverage.
  • Pross
    ....and my Sky Go feed appears to be a few minutes behind!!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Close up of daisies. Not looking good.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    pictures back, giant 40secs back
  • Pross
    Wiggins goes solo and has opened up a 20 second lead

only joking, still no pictures
  • RonB
    Battle of the sprint trains, but all over for the Giant team.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Cav well placed for this.
  • Pross
    Why is my (legal) feed so far behind everyone else?
  • RonB
    OPQS TTT at the front now!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited March 2014
    Cav easy. His final lead out man (Petacchi) second and had more or less stopped in last 100m. Crash in run in delayed Griepel and others but OPQS in total control already. Sagan third.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That is the easiest win Cavendish is going to have all season. No competitors and a perfect lead out.

Good job on being there to sprint though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Crash, group split's, no showdown, very disappointing finish.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    edited March 2014
    I know that there was the crash at the end, but the gap was forming before. I think this goes to show that one of the OPQS problems last year was that they were left to do so much of the work on the front during the midstage phase, with one rider token gestures from other teams, that when it got down to the last 5kms they got swamped by fresher squads like Giant Shimano, lotto belisol. This time with Lotto and cannondale doing the work to drop kittel, OPQS were by far the freshest in the closing kms and nailed it
  • Pross
    As soon as they showed the aerial shot of that last bend I knew a crash was about to occur. OPQS made quite hard work of it in the end considering they rode a good few bike lengths clear when the Lotto boys bailed out. Cav's back!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,778
    So it's Renshaw -> Petachhi -> Cavendish. I wondered which order they would do it.
  • RonB
    Good work by the OPQS team and Quickowski in particular getting it all right with those corners at around 2km from the finish, that's perhaps where Lotto lost it.
  • Pross
    andytee87 wrote:
    I know that there was the crash at the end, but the gap was forming before. I think this goes to show that one of the OPQS problems last year was that they were left to do so much of the work on the front during the midstage phase, with one rider token gestures from other teams, that when it got down to the last 5kms they got swamped by fresher squads like Giant Shimano, lotto belisol. This time with Lotto and cannondale doing the work to drop kittel, OPQS were by far the freshest in the closing kms and nailed it

Yep, OPQS played that perfectly leaving Canondale and Lotto to use their energy keeping Kittel behind. It did look at one point that the rest of the bunch were about to swamp them at the end though - must have been the front on shot. It also looked like Cav wasn't there at times - he really does keep himself out of the wind well.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,905
    RAI pictures didn't go down, so a quick switch and I saw the lot.
    Lampre rider (Modolo?) came down inside the Lotto train and
    they were all wiped out.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,157
    Another Lampre rider was in 4th or 5th wheel inside the last kilometre and pulled to one side and sat up after realising Modolo was nowhere to be seen, leaving a gap that all those that had just closed a previous gap to do it again.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Renshaw got 9th

:lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    andyp wrote:
    Another Lampre rider was in 4th or 5th wheel inside the last kilometre and pulled to one side and sat up after realising Modolo was nowhere to be seen, leaving a gap that all those that had just closed a previous gap to do it again.

Yeah, I noticed that - it was poor riding, Lampre aren't going to make many friends with that sort of thing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    1658312_10151971108333247_473163535_o.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,778
    Pross wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that - it was poor riding, Lampre aren't going to make many friends with that sort of thing.

What's he supposed to do, give them a free lead out? I mean deliberately disrupting things is a bit much, but this doesn't seem that bad.
  • frenchfighter
    Fabian Cancellara (@f_cancellara)
    3/16/14, 5:17 PM
    What a final ramp It was 25% writen but i guess it was much more... My gears 34x28 was not enough. Next time i will walk.so im faster up;-))
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Purito Rodríguez, following the race as a spectator: “We can be rivals, we can get along better or worse...but one thing I’m not is blind!! What an exhibition I’m seeing in Tirreno-Adriatico! Chapeau!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rayjay
    What a final ramp It was 25% writen but i guess it was much more... My gears 34x28 was not enough. Next time i will walk.so im faster up;-))

I think some of the riders used a 32 at the back.
  • rayjay
    Pross wrote:
    As soon as they showed the aerial shot of that last bend I knew a crash was about to occur. OPQS made quite hard work of it in the end considering they rode a good few bike lengths clear when the Lotto boys bailed out. Cav's back!

I thought the same. For some reason it looked very crashable

A bit like when Thomas went off in P-N . You could see a crash was going to happen.
  • frenchfighter
    rayjay wrote:

I think some of the riders used a 32 at the back.

Yeah French commentators said 32 was the max they knew of being used.
    Contador is the Greatest