Paris - Nice 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I seem to remember Andy Schleck and Gilbert getting a super long tow in Amstel Gold Race last year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    37c1b462d20d40f3c9c030986b69f6c02a66fae9b5f1b9871cb71daecf26e625.jpg

That's not a handsling...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    andyp wrote:
    known as a flying relay in the UCI rule book

'article 12.1.040 of the UCI regulations states that the punishment for performing an illegal flying relay in a road race (amongst team-mates) is a fine of 200 Swiss Francs and a penalty of 10 seconds'

Two Movistar guys gave each other a handsling in the final kms of the Willunga Hill stage of the 2012 TDU, that ended up helping Piti who went on to win the stage). Commissaires never saw it so didnt penalise them.

I'm sat here, like this.

37c1b462d20d40f3c9c030986b69f6c02a66fae9b5f1b9871cb71daecf26e625.jpg

Clearly it takes two riders to perform a handsling, but only one benefits from it. You cannot give each other a simultaneous handsling.

Anyway, enough trackie talk, back to the racing.

Alright, alright, Mr Pedantic

One rider gave the other a handsling.

Happy now?
  • Richmond Racer
    Wasn't there a hand sling in the infamous ECHELON!!!!!!!! stage at last year's Tour?

Si. And it was how Cav managed to latch on to the back of that front group, otherwise curtains for him. It wasnt on camera, the Commissaires didnt see it, and in fact no one would have known if Cav hadnt 'fessed in his latest book
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Think the handsling is more of a safety thing really. if you legalise it then you start getting sprint trains doing it in the last 300m and carnage ensues.

Plus remember that those laws (are designed to, even if it's quite clearly stupid) apply in every race from Cat 4 ,U12 criteriums to the TdF.

Meersman is lucky to be in the race, they were warned repeatadly to stop and didnt and went flying past several groups. They tried a bit of the old getting the Cofidis rider to draft he car and then Meersman draft him which is a little more of a grey area (how!) but that was deemed insufficient. It's no different to a flanker who repeatadly kills the ball getting a yellow card...never mind that Richie McCaw did it a bit too.

Once again Frenchie is the only person in the world who seesm to think it was fair, even worthy
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450

Alright, alright, Mr Pedantic

One rider gave the other a handsling.

Happy now?

Very.

I see today's stage has a turn into what will be a crosswind with around 40 kms to go, are we all on high alert?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Wasn't there a hand sling in the infamous ECHELON!!!!!!!! stage at last year's Tour?

Si. And it was how Cav managed to latch on to the back of that front group, otherwise curtains for him. It wasnt on camera, the Commissaires didnt see it, and in fact no one would have known if Cav hadnt 'fessed in his latest book

I thought that was it but couldn't quite remember. It was Kwiato who gave him the hand sling wasn't it?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    andyp wrote:
    I see today's stage has a turn into what will be a crosswind with around 40 kms to go, are we all on high alert?

Klaxon at the ready... :D
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

I thought that was it but couldn't quite remember. It was Kwiato who gave him the hand sling wasn't it?

I remember Froome mentioning it after the stage, saying that Cav was the last to make it across (due to the handsling) and he was the first to miss the split.
  • ddraver
    Ooohh controversial ;)
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    r0bh wrote:

I remember Froome mentioning it after the stage, saying that Cav was the last to make it across (due to the handsling) and he was the first to miss the split.

And that's because he was busy looking at his...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    Cav made it across as he is the best sprinter in the World. The absence of a handsling wouldnt have prevented him from making the selection.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Happens all the time.

Don't know why people are so surprised. Guy was involved in a crash.
  • frenchfighter
    Just curious Frenchie...do you know which poor bike handlers caused the crash that brought down Meersman etc? Do we know that Meersman himself wasnt to blame? He has a little bit of a reputation in the peloton

And, umm, riding like fire is one interpetation of a 10km tow + handsling, I s'pose

boom.png

I guess Boom thinks it was the australian m matthews. Maybe he was discussing rock, paper, scissors with a sky rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Bad losers the Dutch..

Dutch-Speed-Skater.jpg?1390309109
  • above_the_cows
    ThomThom wrote:
    Bad losers the Dutch..

Oh god not Sjinkie Knegt. He's such a dom domkop. :evil:
  • andyp
    It's a national trait.

Middle%2Bfinger.jpg
  • thomthom

Oh god not Sjinkie Knegt. He's such a dom domkop. :evil:

Sådan en dum dumrian.
  • andyp
    What was that all about? Did Lotto have a rush of blood to the head?
  • Richmond Racer
    ThomThom wrote:
    Bad losers the Dutch..

That really is one of my favourite sports photos ever
  • ddraver
    Not enough wind for any slanty fun but Movistar on the front just in case...
    - @ddraver
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    ThomThom wrote:
    Bad losers the Dutch..

That really is one of my favourite sports photos ever

Eurosport player just crashed, that's more or less the same gesture that I am making right now.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    Is it just me, or are the peleton a bit too relaxed in catching the last of the escape?
  • thomthom
    So.. Stage races you say.. When is the next classic..
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:
    Is it just me, or are the peloton a bit too relaxed in catching the last of the escape?

Maybe they forgot there were three riders not just two. No radios I dont think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    andyp wrote:
    Is it just me, or are the peloton a bit too relaxed in catching the last of the escape?

I think they've now realised!
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting finishing route.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Half expecting to see Sebastian Vettel win this!
  • above_the_cows
    andyp wrote:
    It's a national trait.

Middle%2Bfinger.jpg

Thing is it isn't. It is SO rude here. Flicking the bird is not 'that' rude in the UK. But if you do it here, people will literally fight you. Stop their cars, get out and fight you. So it is REALLY serious when a Dutchie does it.

EDIT - fl*cking gets a swear filter? Weird.