Paris - Nice 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Nice climb. Difficult for one team to control it. Hopefully see some fireworks even with the field as weak as it is.

And maybe a bonkers descent to the finish. Hopefully some action tomorrow.
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    inseine wrote:
    I wasn't trying to beat up on SKY and I have no interest in the Team classification, it's just it tells you a bit about what a team is up to. They are rolling in last and it's not like they are working hard to keep G in the mix.
    They have won it the last two years, though this course is totally diferent, so you'd think they had some plan for this year.

I rather suspect they do have a plan rather than just meander through each day looking at the lovely chateaux and countryside. And I think they're working at keeping G in the mix. But I think G's someone who's comfortable looking after himself within the last 3km rather than be surrounded by lots of team mates. He's always been capable of moving well in the bunch and following wheels in the final hectic kms - and sometimes it can be more of a hindrance with lots of team mates around you unless you're contesting the sprint. it worked well for Wiggins in the 2012 Tour, but they changed tactics with Froome last year and had just Stannard looking after him in the frenetic sprint stages.

Its all about getting through these first 3 days with G losing as little time as possible. Which they seem to be doing a pretty good job of, to be fair.

Looking at the stage results, they bled most of the time yday with stuff like EBH in the crash with Meersman, Lopez having a mechanical just as the pace was hotting up near the end and Kiryienka on the wrong end of a split with the peloton stretched out

Thomas needs all the help he can get,His road craft and bike handling over the last year or so has been poor.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Based on what evidence?
  • stanislav
    seeing him on the floor last spring
    PTP winner 2015.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    stanislav wrote:
    seeing him on the floor last spring

One spate doesn't make him a poor career bike handler

Riders crash, sometimes through their own fault, sometimes because someone else takes out their wheel (eg entrance into Arenberg last year), sometimes because some idiot tries to go through a closing gap too small and shunts another rider, causing dominoes (eg Gorilla on st 1 of last year's Tour)
  • stanislav
    If you read the post I didn't say he was a career bad bike handler,I said over the last year or so.last year he was involved in several crashes,Often the result of poor positioning
    PTP winner 2015.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    The best bit of today's stage was Sean using phrase "making the calculation" twice in his first bit of commentary. Someone from the Sean Kelly Bingo scene has clearly got to him, surely it won't be long before cycling's next big commentary fixing scandal is uncovered.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Rubbish race so far. As expected.

Let's hope tommorrow brings something to cheer about.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ThomThom wrote:

True dat.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ThomThom wrote:

The sprint stages are as expected. But they normally whet the appetite for juicy MTF or TT showdowns. It remains to be seen what a bunch of 'classics' stages with several contenders per team does for the race overall.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Today's stage has Meersman written all over it. He must be annoyed about his crash.

The Pro Tour Pundit world is very divided on this stage. Picks range from Nibali to Degenkolb.
  • Macaloon
    MartinGT wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:
    GET IN!!!

Get in what?

Had Hofland in my PTP :P

Ah ha. I thought it was an instruction to Gianni Meersman from Pat in the car.

Was Gianni Meersmann brought up by wolves?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Shocking news for BSE supporters - no rider in the early breakaway

Sad times

Instead:

Agnoli (AST), Didier (TFR), Quemeneur (EUC) and Jesus Harrada (MOV) lead the peloton by 3:40 after 30km
  • Macaloon

It's as pivot to their GC ambitions despite the clamour from the fans for glorious failure. Happens to all the great teams.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450

Sad times

Instead:

Agnoli (AST), Didier (TFR), Quemeneur (EUC) and Jesus Harrada (MOV) lead the peloton by 3:40 after 30km

I was wondering last night if Nibali would try and get a domestique up the road today to support him later. Should make for an interesting finale.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Gutierrez (MOV), Caruso and De Marchi (CAN) have been pushed up. Wonder if they are to support later or whether they think they can win it. They can all climb.
  • Belleville Rendezvous
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lopez and Didier are only 40 secs down on GC.

profile-04.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    In a way I am happy Porte isnt riding this. It gives Thomas a chance and atm he is looking strong.
  • frenchfighter
    M Breschel pulls out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    On a sad note, today marks the 11 year anniversary since Andrei Kivilev lost his life. The former Cofidis rider crashed during this race and fell into a coma as a result. He tragically died a day later. His death sparked action from the UCI who made helmets compulsory within the peloton.
    -Cnews
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Rather than fill up the PTP thread:

I notice only TailWindHome went for Boonen today. When I first loked at the stage profile my first thought was that this would be a great finish for Boonen. But when I saw that no one else fancied him I lost my bottle :?
  • frenchfighter
    M Breschel pulls out.

Due to the injuries he sustained in the Tour of Oman mattress crash.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MartinGT
    Milton50 wrote:

I notice only TailWindHome went for Boonen today. When I first loked at the stage profile my first thought was that this would be a great finish for Boonen. But when I saw that no one else fancied him I lost my bottle :?

It could be a stage for him, although with a 20% near the end it might be too much for the punchers. I was going to go with Gerrans, but lost my bottle.

Gambled on Tommy V over Thomas.
  • MartinGT
    I wonder if Yates will have a chance today or will he be too busy looking after Gerrans?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Milton50 wrote:

Weak!

You can see the variety of picks here http://tinyurl.com/mmduu8v

The honourable mention of the day goes to the current leader of PTP, ContraLaMontre, for being the first and only person to pick a rider ranked outside the top 400. (Simon Yates). It broke my system, but chapeau and all that.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    MartinGT wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

It could be a stage for him, although with a 20% near the end it might be too much for the punchers. I was going to go with Gerrans, but lost my bottle.

Gambled on Tommy V over Thomas.

Inner Ring reckons it's not 20%

For 6 points Boonen was worth a punt I thought.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • MartinGT
    I thought he said it was 20% and not the 25% as advertised.

Hmmm that could change things!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Weak!

Haha. Yeh I should have learnt my lesson I suppose and just gone with my first instinct. On the other hand if Gerrans wins then I will be lording it over everyone.
  • MartinGT
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Weak!

The honourable mention of the day goes to the current leader of PTP, ContraLaMontre, for being the first and only person to pick a rider ranked outside the top 400. (Simon Yates). It broke my system, but chapeau and all that.

I was think about Yates a few mins ago.

Damn hard stage to pic for!

Rick has gone for Degonklob! If its a bunch of 30 he could be there!!!

Sky and OGE thinning down the Peloton!