Paris - Nice 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    Meersman was really taking the wee wee. Very lucky to still be in the race. Should have had at least a 10 min penalty and lost his points from yesterday.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm I the only one thinking G could nick the GC

If it's not G, then someone else will win it :roll:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Is there some sort of sanction on OPQS after the Meersman incident today. I mean, realistically Meersman is not telling the car to drive in front of him. The DS is telling him to sit on the bumper.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    smithy21 wrote:
    Is there some sort of sanction on OPQS after the Meersman incident today. I mean, realistically Meersman is not telling the car to drive in front of him. The DS is telling him to sit on the bumper.

Yep the DS has to spend half an hour with Cavendish directly after he loses to Kittel at T-A.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Saxo, Sky & Belkin didn't show up for the sign on this morning so are being made to turn up early tomorrow (Tuesday) morning.

Quite right too.
  • rick_chasey
    smithy21 wrote:

(read from bottom up)

EdwardPickering ‏
    And finally, Meersman and Peeters owe a further 100CHF for presenting a bad image of cycling. Expensive day.

EdwardPickering
    ...plus 30 seconds and another 100 CHF for Meersman (& Terpstra) for the handsling.

EdwardPickering
    Today's tow cost Meersman a 40-second penalty and 100CHF. Peeters gets a 400CHF fine.
  • rick_chasey
    TBF, I bet this stuff happens all the time.

Just not on camera.
  • rick_chasey
    Lars Boom out of Paris-Nice with a broken elbow/radius. (Uninterestingly, exactly the same injury I sustained in the summer playing basketball in NYC).

S'a big blow for Belkin. He's a useful rider.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    (Uninterestingly, exactly the same injury I sustained in the summer playing basketball in NYC).

Yo you is representing da UK hood in da Bronx hizzle with dat kickass Bball yo!

Jazz-Posting-Up-Will-Mugging-For-Camera.jpeg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    (Uninterestingly, exactly the same injury I sustained in the summer playing basketball in NYC).

(*buzzkillington*) That's Phili innit.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:

Surely that's West Philadelphia, not the Bronx

(Rick beat me to it)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Belgian media is understandably more sympathetic to Meersman, comparing today after an unlucky crash with Nibali in the worlds and crying a lack of 'inconsistency'.

https://twitter.com/wielerman
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    meh I couldnt think of an actual Bronx example, I'm not that down with the kidz
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Apparently Nacer's idol is Mike Tyson. That takes him down a lot of pegs in the rankings. As does that shaved eyebrow and ding dong cap.

BggDRfaIQAAW079.jpg
    Oh dear, he looks like one of the blazin' squad there...
  • Paul 8v
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Surely that's West Philadelphia, not the Bronx

(Rick beat me to it)
    Surely this one, he even wears a cycling cap!

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/0 ... 68x619.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Meersman today, jeez that was pushing it. Quite exciting to watch but I bet the other riders cursed him as he flew past!
  • Breaking his wrist whilst playing pick up hoops indicates that Rick is neither a baller, nor a shot caller.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    MartinGT wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:
    GET IN!!!

Get in what?

Had Hofland in my PTP :P

Ah ha. I thought it was an instruction to Gianni Meersman from Pat in the car.

If this had been in the TdF this would have been my post of the day :lol::lol::lol:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Well, Gianni Meerkat (courtesy of ukcyclingexpert) aint starting today. Off to hospital in Belgium.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What a fighter. Gets blown into the ditch by poor bike handlers then rides like fire to rejoin. Then it turns out he did that while injured enough to go to hospital after.

SPTDW311.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Just curious Frenchie...do you know which poor bike handlers caused the crash that brought down Meersman etc? Do we know that Meersman himself wasnt to blame? He has a little bit of a reputation in the peloton

And, umm, riding like fire is one interpetation of a 10km tow + handsling, I s'pose
  • frenchfighter
    RR, do you know if the Sky rider at 25secs got a time penalty also?
    http://tinyurl.com/krs2qvm
    It looks like he gave up though as couldnt hold the pace so maybe he didnt get docked anything for not getting any unfair advantage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    I presume that 'the Sky rider' was Biggles, as he went down in the crash too. It wasn't his team car either that he was following.

The handsling probably put Meersman in hospita! :roll:
    And a CHF100 fine is a pittance - less than £70.

I do find it amazing how Frenchie is more than happy for cyclists to blatantly cheat.
  • Richmond Racer
    RR, do you know if the Sky rider at 25secs got a time penalty also?
    http://tinyurl.com/krs2qvm
    It looks like he gave up though as couldnt hold the pace so maybe he didnt get docked anything for not getting any unfair advantage.

Frenchie, pls, why do you have to resort to a 'look at what your Sky boy did' whenever one of us posts something you don't like? Its silly and its irrelevant. You're better than this. You know you are.
  • frenchfighter
    It's got nothing to do with Sky - regardless what team they were riding for I would be curious if a rider would also get a penalty even it wasn't his team car.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    It's got nothing to do with Sky - regardless what team they were riding for I would be curious if a rider would also get a penalty even it wasn't his team car.

Drafting is against the rules. Race officials may turn a blind eye to some, but the duration of Meersman's drafting meant a penalty was inevitable. His cause wasn't helped by the extensive TV coverage. I'm sure if he'd had drafted back to a chasing group he would have got away with it, but he went past group after group.

The team should have been penalised too....take a car out of the race.

Q Why is a handsling illegal?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    known as a flying relay in the UCI rule book

'article 12.1.040 of the UCI regulations states that the punishment for performing an illegal flying relay in a road race (amongst team-mates) is a fine of 200 Swiss Francs and a penalty of 10 seconds'

Two Movistar guys gave each other a handsling in the final kms of the Willunga Hill stage of the 2012 TDU, that ended up helping Piti who went on to win the stage). Commissaires never saw it so didnt penalise them.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Wasn't there a hand sling in the infamous ECHELON!!!!!!!! stage at last year's Tour?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    I highly doubt a handsling or 3 would help you much. Valverde would have beaten Gerrans if he didn't have any teammates.

It seems odd to me to penalise that as you can draft your teammate for the entire race but you cant get a few seconds advantage from a handsling.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    known as a flying relay in the UCI rule book

'article 12.1.040 of the UCI regulations states that the punishment for performing an illegal flying relay in a road race (amongst team-mates) is a fine of 200 Swiss Francs and a penalty of 10 seconds'

Two Movistar guys gave each other a handsling in the final kms of the Willunga Hill stage of the 2012 TDU, that ended up helping Piti who went on to win the stage). Commissaires never saw it so didnt penalise them.

I'm sat here, like this.

37c1b462d20d40f3c9c030986b69f6c02a66fae9b5f1b9871cb71daecf26e625.jpg

Clearly it takes two riders to perform a handsling, but only one benefits from it. You cannot give each other a simultaneous handsling.

Anyway, enough trackie talk, back to the racing.