Pub Talk - Greatest Cycling Photo Ever!

Comments

• einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    In which case this thread may entertain you for a light read:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12966610

That's a good thread. I think there are 2 posts i really connect with:

1> it was a watershed moment that EPO really was more than just a naughty drug for a few
    2> I was a naive teenager at the time and viewed it different to the older guys in the club
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • Re. Maertens, just read this on Wikipedia, quite interesting:

1973 world championship
    Relations between the riders and their fans reached their depth on 2 September 1973 in the world road championship around the Montjuich climb near Barcelona. Maertens had said he was not willing to ride for Merckx. That angered Merckx's supporters who, Maertens said, six times threw cold water over his legs.[7]

Merckx broke clear on a hill. Maertens said none of the others took up the chase and so he chased by himself. Merckx was angry that Maertens, in his view, had sabotaged his chances of winning. Maertens was the better sprinter.

The two were unable to cooperate and were caught by Luis Ocaña and Felice Gimondi. Maertens agreed to lead Merckx in the sprint and allow him to win. He would be well paid, he understood - "a fantastic offer."[7] But Maertens rode too fast for Merckx to stay with him. Gimondi rode in Maertens' shelter instead. Maertens realised too late and Gimondi won.

Enmity between Merckx and Maertens lasted decades. It ended in 2007 when the two met in a hotel in France.

"I was smoking a cigarette and he asked me for a cigarette. He said to me, 'Freddy, we have to talk about Barcelona.' I said, 'I think so too.' And then we spoke about it for three hours and we shook hands and everything was over.”[3]
  • I like that last para.

Seems odd that Merckx would pay people off - definitely doesn't jive with my image of him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Wasn't there also supposed to have been some skulduggery related to Shimano vs Campag at that Worlds ?

Gimondi & Merckx were Campag and Maertens was Shimano IIRC and I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that money changed hands in relation to this
  • Photo is by the boss that is Breakthroughmedia:
    39_20140827_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_3S1A5528.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar wrote:
    Wasn't there also supposed to have been some skulduggery related to Shimano vs Campag at that Worlds ? Gimondi & Merckx were Campag and Maertens was Shimano IIRC and I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that money changed hands in relation to this

I think that was just Maerten's paranoia coming out. From what I recall of the story, a day or so before the event a group of riders, including Maertens, were out on a training ride when they came across Senior Campagnolo, who asked who was going to win the race. Someone said 'Him', pointing at Maertens. Campagnolo then started to laugh and said 'Oh no, not him, he rides Shimano'. Just a bit of banter I am sure, but Maertens took this to be the birth of a plan to stop him winning.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043

1952 Tdf, can anyone name the blokes in this shot? (Not a quiz, I just don't know)
    TOUR_DE_FRANCE_1952_196436a.jpg

Robic
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ByINentCMAAF6qv.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    cadel_evans1-420x0.jpg
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    gdl.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Jaja, Lombardia 1997
    lombardia-jalabertbig.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    C_27_articolo_90271_immagineprincipale.jpg

000_par7332750_670.jpg

joaquim-rodriguez-wins-il-lombardia-2012.jpg

joaquin_rodriguez_wins_2012_giro_di_lombardia_2_0.jpg?itok=MG1T8Lv8
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The third one is a great shot.
  • davidof wrote:

1952 Tdf, can anyone name the blokes in this shot? (Not a quiz, I just don't know)
    TOUR_DE_FRANCE_1952_196436a.jpg

Robic
    fausto copi on the bianchi
  • sorry should be two p,s coppi
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    PIC2149191.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,143
    phreak wrote:
    cadel_evans1-420x0.jpg

+1

My favourite stage this century :shock:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    1982 l'Alpe de Huez:
    alpedhuezbig.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cavendish-stage-8-tdf-2008.jpg
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    pantani.jpeg
  • tailwindhome
  • tailwindhome
    Really like this

BzSrQXhIEAAvCWe.jpg:large

Camille ‏@camillemcmillan · Oct 6
    The old man in 1955 or '56 (Bigginhill he thinks)
    Single free cyclocross bike!
  • Pross wrote:
    Phil Anderson is hardly getting stuck in, I'm surprised he is allowed back into Australia after that pathetic showing. Shame it wasn't Shane Sutton instead.
    Booner69 wrote:
    Ha ha, fair point, Anderson looks like he's wobbling on his cleats!... Sutton is solid, that would've been a sight!!

As an aside, when Sutton first came over to race thinking he was a hard knocker, apparently he used to be a bit of a bully. He was racing a crit with Sid Barras, something was said and Sutton slammed on in front of Barras. Needless to say the next time they came on to the finishing straight, the commentator announced that it was great to see Sid nursing the injured rider around. Apparently Sid had leathered him.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • tailwindhome
    928645_1549703561926986_69226767_n.jpg
  • Equipes, Deltas, Razors. Like!
  • 10431242_728244263896537_167043034698633062_o.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • What a terrible waste of a career and a life :(
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    De_Vlaeminck_Roubaix_73.jpg

The Gypsy in full flight, perfectly composed, alert, and muddy as hell on the pave/kasseien.
    kop van de wedstrijd