Majorca, I love it.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Good to hear, going there from the 5th October for a week. Provisionally booked for Cala d'Or but that could yet change ;)

Most places that I've seen with seasonal opening are open at least until the end of October.
  • For the past five years I've gone the last week in Sept/ first week of October.

The place is packed.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • markhewitt1978
    We looked at going in the start / middle of September. The flights were the same price but accommodation was double.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Grill wrote:
    Sounds about right. I felt like I was climbing about 70 rpm most of the week. Suits me for long tempo climbs when trying to keep my HR low.

Is that the turn by the car park after climbing up from Puerto Pollensa?

Yes.
    Not many people seem to do it, and it's not been segmented. But we did it in March, so I may go back and create the segment! The views from the top are great.
    Does it have a proper road surface? One of my clubmates rode up there a couple of years ago and said it was mostly gravel.
    Two years ago today I was on a ride out from PP to Petra. Happy times.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Sounds about right. I felt like I was climbing about 70 rpm most of the week. Suits me for long tempo climbs when trying to keep my HR low.

Is that the turn by the car park after climbing up from Puerto Pollensa?

Yes.
    Not many people seem to do it, and it's not been segmented. But we did it in March, so I may go back and create the segment! The views from the top are great.
    Does it have a proper road surface? One of my clubmates rode up there a couple of years ago and said it was mostly gravel.
    Two years ago today I was on a ride out from PP to Petra. Happy times.

Yes. It's not the best, but it's fine to ride a road bike on. Couple of big potholes.
  • bernithebiker
    Would it be deserted in mid-October? We're going in early October so I hope not! It was my understanding that things didn't shut down until the end of October.

That said Palma isn't a bad shout, we had a nice holiday staying there along the seafront.

Seems some think it's still quite busy in October.

We visited for a day in mid October and it seemed pretty dead to me, but maybe it depends on weather, etc.

Anyway, my wife's quite demanding, so if I want some cycling action, it has to be Palma!
  • markhewitt1978
    I guess it depends where you go? We've visited in April a couple of times, and a lot of places were still closed up then. Port de Pollenca was mostly open but went to Cala d'Or and it was almost dead.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    When i was there last week i noticed that 2 of the guys in our apartments took their bikes to the rooms, when i met them a few days later i said dont you know there is a bike store. one of the guys said yes and there had been bikes stolen and they decided to keep them in their room and that there was a rumours that some folk had been followed back to their accomodation and bike taken ??? This is now the same story from from a different person...anyone else heard this in the pollensa\alcudia area ?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    When i was there last week i noticed that 2 of the guys in our apartments took their bikes to the rooms, when i met them a few days later i said dont you know there is a bike store. one of the guys said yes and there had been bikes stolen and they decided to keep them in their room and that there was a rumours that some folk had been followed back to their accomodation and bike taken ??? This is now the same story from from a different person...anyone else heard this in the pollensa\alcudia area ?

Wouldn't doubt it. I kept my bike in my room at the Pollensa Park Hotel last year. This year they've said that bikes can't be taken to rooms so I rented an apartment instead.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    When I was out there last year I heard a lot about bikes being nicked. On one occasion someone suggested that it might have been relatives of staff from one of the smaller bike hire outfits going to villas where they knew bikes were being stored and filching them. Then the hire company would charge a hefty replacement fee (I did notice that no replacement insurance was ever offered at the places I looked to hire from). given the increase in the popularity of cycling over there, and the continuing economic problems I guess it's not entirely surprising...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bernithebiker
    Grill wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Wouldn't doubt it. I kept my bike in my room at the Pollensa Park Hotel last year. This year they've said that bikes can't be taken to rooms so I rented an apartment instead.

They were charging a fee to take your bike to your room in March; this because some dumbasses had been using towels etc to clean their bikes. Another great example of how a few idiots spoil it for everyone.

They now have a 'secure' bike basement, that is fully 'insured', but the door was open most of the day, as hundreds of different cyclists take out/bring back their bikes at different times, and super easy to nip in and take one. They're all secured with cheap hotel locks that a decent pair of scissors would cut, and failing that, just unscrew the hook from the wall.

I was very nervous about my bike during our week, and I'd love to see just how well their 'insurance' really did work if a £6000 bike went walkies.
  • markhewitt1978
    Has anyone had a hire bike stolen? How much is the replacement fee? Is that something you could claim on holiday insurance?

I asked the question before I hired a bike last year and was told We don't offer theft insurance and if any other company tells you they do they're lying!

Thankfully we were staying in a villa so no problem with storing the bike, even so I had a lock and locked it to a radiator whenever it wasn't being used!
  • mattythemod
    mattythemod Posts: 289
    Some good points on hire bikes there it would also be my worry that getting my hire bike stolen would be a major drama ...is it an option to take your own lock from home to secure your bike in the hotel storage room ?

Was looking at this place which is used by many of the UK traning camp companies and seems to be quite well reviewed "Fergus Pollensa Park " anyone have first hand knowledge ?
  • markhewitt1978
    On the other hand when people are out and about it seems standard practice to just leave bikes outside cafes etc, often completely unattended. If I had been so minded I could have stolen any number of bikes.
  • bernithebiker
    On the other hand when people are out and about it seems standard practice to just leave bikes outside cafes etc, often completely unattended. If I had been so minded I could have stolen any number of bikes.
    Mine never left my sight.

However, whilst sipping a cafe con leche, it did nearly get crushed by the tram as it came through the central Plaza in Soller!
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I've never heard of a bike been stolen. But it is something that does concern me. I believe that crime is not a big issue on the island. My sister and nieces have lived there for many years and they are not big on security. Unlocked doors everywhere and none of them have alarms in their homes.
    I always think that it's an island. If you want to nick something and leave you have to pass a police/customs check somewhere. A bit offputting compared to all the nice open borders on the mainland.
    I've never asked about taking my bike to my room. I just take it. Never been stopped.
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    I'm planning my first cycling holiday abroad and will be visiting the island during the summer. Does anyone have any recommendations (i.e. cheapest) how to get four people (3 or 4 suitcases + one bikeboxallen) from the airport to nr Pollenca?
  • markhewitt1978
    When in summer? If it's July/August then it can get very hot there. i.e. Above 30C pretty much all day, not a pleasant cycling experience.
  • Go early in the morning, 7-12 or late in the afternoon/ evening.

Good luck on finding a cheap form of transport from the airport. I've used the same taxi guy for years and its always €75 each way.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • markhewitt1978
    We've always hired a car but even just for two people, 1 child, and suitcases there was no more space in the car!
  • bernithebiker
    Go early in the morning, 7-12 or late in the afternoon/ evening.

Good luck on finding a cheap form of transport from the airport. I've used the same taxi guy for years and its always €75 each way.

Yet another reason to stay in/near Palma. Taxi 20E, or bus about 5 I think.

And there are some absolutely cracking restaurants…...
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    blimey.. ok, thanks. sounds like its gonna cost me a bit. Is that 75 euros per car/van or each?

Going 23-29 June - people's leave availability pretty much limited our choice. Thanks for the heads up about riding times.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I booked a 'shuttle bus' through easy jet. It was just a taxi with 1 other bloke inside going to another hotel!
    Bargin at 35 euros return
  • Go early in the morning, 7-12 or late in the afternoon/ evening.

Yet another reason to stay in/near Palma. Taxi 20E, or bus about 5 I think.

And there are some absolutely cracking restaurants…...
    I agree. We always stay in Palma.

Here are my favourites.
    For meat try Meson Can Pedro in Genova.
    For fish try Es Molet. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... ml#REVIEWS. It's just a 10 minute bike ride along the sea front.
    For tapas there are loads to choose from in the old town.

I will be in all of them in two weeks. Between rides of course. :)
  • bernithebiker

Me too, a week in Palma, 1st week of May. Will probably hire a bike and get a few rides in - can't do too much, as I've already had my cycle week this year!

Ahhhh, San Miguel!
  • JohnW52
    JohnW52 Posts: 34
    As I mentioned a few pages ago you should be able to hire a small van (Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner type) for about the price of return transport to Pollenca. You should be able to get 4 people, luggage and a bike box in and you'll have your own transport for the rest of the stay. I use Atesa, booked through Auto Europe. It was £130 for a week at the end of March but it will be more in June I would imagine.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Just got back from an excellent week in Mallorca. Based in Alcudia we did three full day rides and three family days. Sa Calobra is an obvious one but we also loved the Coll de sa Batalla and Coll d'Honor. The descent down from Puig Major to Soller was as good as I have experienced anywhere!

We used Max Hurzeler bike hire, and found them fantastic. €160 for a Di2 equipped Cube Litening was good value and we also got a free saddle bag, spare tube and tyre levers.

Met Sean Kelly at the top of the Batalla, was overtaken by Kevin Pauwels on the Coll de Soller and spotted several Team GB members at their hotel in Port de Alcudia.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • I will be in all of them in two weeks. Between rides of course. :)

Me too, a week in Palma, 1st week of May. Will probably hire a bike and get a few rides in - can't do too much, as I've already had my cycle week this year!

Ahhhh, San Miguel!

We will be there for the first two weeks.

You may pass two old blokes on Palma seafront. One very good looking on a Moozes and an ugly bloke on a Black Synapse then that's us.

Some of the time our bikes will be outside aforementioned restaurants.
  • bernithebiker

Ahhhh, San Miguel!

We will be there for the first two weeks.

You may pass two old blokes on Palma seafront. One very good looking on a Moozes and an ugly bloke on a Black Synapse then that's us.

Some of the time our bikes will be outside aforementioned restaurants.

I'll keep my eyes peeled!

If you see a scrawny bloke going nuts on the Bendinat climb on a hire bike, that'll be me trying to get my KOM back!!
  • Anyone fancy taking me out there with them? I can chip a tener in! :D