Majorca, I love it.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Just booked for a week at the start of October :D. Staying in Cala D'Or but I might still hire from Port de Pollenca, can make the ride to and from the hire shop part of the trip.

Just have to inform the wife that I will be cycling for part of our holiday!
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    ednino wrote:
    might visit the velodrome at Sineu too

Good fun, good cafe, but a bit run down last time I was there. Don't set your hopes too high.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm down there for 10 days starting the 18th. Looking forward to big mileage.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    I'm down there for 10 days starting the 18th. Looking forward to big mileage.

Lots of nodders this year taking chances on descents, obviously chasing strava silliness; and loads of americans climbing like they've been stung by wasps... :lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Lots of nodders this year taking chances on descents, obviously chasing strava silliness; and loads of americans climbing like they've been stung by wasps... :lol:[/quote]

What's a nodder? I noticed some of the fast descents have been taken off Strava. I didn't notice any Americans however the speed at which I was regularly passed uphill they must have been on drugs...
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    I remember my mate getting harangued off a German guy on the descent to Sa Collobra. My mates not a confident descender after a really nasty spill on a downhill a couple of years back. He prefers to take his time and enjoy the descent. This German bloke was getting annoyed as Chris was taking some wide lines round the corner. Anyway, after several corners of this German shouting 'Nein!! Nein!!!' Chris calmly finished the downhill and saw this guy at the bottom (after he finally got past). Needless to say I think this German now fully understands Geordie, especially after the tirade Chris gave him for harrassing him on the descent. I'm sure the poor German guy can expertly use the words f**k, c**t and bast**d in one sentence now :shock:

How we chuckled. Bless Chris, every now and again he blows his stack, normally he's a mild mannered cyclist.

I'm looking forward to this year :wink:
  • markhewitt1978
    I can confirm that us Geordies use those words in every sentence :D
  • Starsboy
    Starsboy Posts: 66
    Just booked for a week at the start of October :D. Staying in Cala D'Or but I might still hire from Port de Pollenca, can make the ride to and from the hire shop part of the trip.

Off to Cala Do'r on Sunday and have hired a Canyon (same set up as back home) not sure how good the local cycling is but it has to be better than last weekend in Wales :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    Starsboy wrote:

Off to Cala Do'r on Sunday and have hired a Canyon (same set up as back home) not sure how good the local cycling is but it has to be better than last weekend in Wales :lol:[/quote]

Where did you hire it from? Is there a place in Cala d'Or?
  • john5339
    john5339 Posts: 10
    Just good back from 8 days in Pollensa - hired from Miquel at Pollensa Cycyling - very nice carbon Moser with Ultegra. Great time - Sa Colabra is a great run - although from Pollensa there is a fair amount of climbing before you get there. Be sure to visit Tolo's in the Port. Also, for Rapha fans, there is a pop up cafe on the old Formentor road - they will serve you a free coffee if you smile nicely. Amazed at how many Germans seem to be Rapha clothed!
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    Next time you should go to Asturias in Northern Spain and get some really tough mountain training.
    Here's a ride I did last week, from about minute 18 you can see how really tough it was : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSoFdv5Jcc . Maybe I should go to Mallorca next April instead :)
    But seriously Asturias is an amazing place to ride especially if you like climbing. You can see what it's like here http://bikeasturias.wordpress.com
    3000m in one ride, great going! love the pic too.
  • john5339
    john5339 Posts: 10
    That looked seriously tough - presumably you were using a compact?
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Was keen to go to Majorca with the family this July time , had a chat to a local cycle buddy today he thinks it may be to hot ?
    Any thoughts ?
    regards
    Mark
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    I've ridden in Northern Italy in July, early morning rides arriving home around 10am and it was pretty uncomfortable. I was nearly sick on the last climb.

Hoping to go again this year with the lads but leaving it until early October.

I would guess that Majorca will be horrendous in June.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • markhewitt1978
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Was keen to go to Majorca with the family this July time , had a chat to a local cycle buddy today he thinks it may be to hot ?
    Any thoughts ?
    regards
    Mark

I have been to Mallorca in July, not cycling, but it was far too hot for life never mind riding around then. I remember visiting Inca and a signpost said it was 38C. It was the kind of temperature where all you could think about was the heat, so oppressive. Those were the days when hire cars didn't have air conditioning either!
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    I was there last July (second week). It was hot, but not if you get out early. We were out by 0700 most days and had the bulk of the miles cracked before lunch. That said, i never once thought it was too hot, even on the one day on which we left the hotel at bang on midday. I don't believe it ever went over 30 degrees.

Admittedly it's more pleasant in April/May/October. Although there are less bikes on the roads in July. Only saw two others on SC.
  • Starsboy
    Starsboy Posts: 66
    Starsboy wrote:

Off to Cala Do'r on Sunday and have hired a Canyon (same set up as back home) not sure how good the local cycling is but it has to be better than last weekend in Wales :lol:

Where did you hire it from? Is there a place in Cala d'Or?[/quote]
    There is a Canyon cycle hire outlet in Cala d'Or based at the Robinson club Cala Serena, ordered via e-mail and so far so good :lol:
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    July is really too hot for cycling, but you can just about get away with it if you ride from Andratx, North, up the coast to Soller.

You'll be in the shade of the mountains for quite a bit of the ride if you go early.

Then the ride back to Palma is mostly downhill (apart from the Soller col of course!) so you'll stay cool!
  • markhewitt1978
    edited April 2014
    Starsboy wrote:
    There is a Canyon cycle hire outlet in Cala d'Or based at the Robinson club Cala Serena, ordered via e-mail and so far so good :lol:

Aha, excellent, please report back your experience so I know what do to for October, preferably with pictures (of the bike not you!)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    @ WHO?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Many thanks for the replies, seems as though it is back to the drawing board.
    Can anyone suggest any where a little cooler, (not Scotland,Iceland :D:D )
    regards
    ILG
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Arrived today & picked up bike from Pollensa Cycyling. Did a 30 mile ride up the light house & back then fell asleep on a sun lounger 8)

Might go to Colabra tomorrow. Would like to do Major too at some point this week
  • Just booked three weeks in May.

Don't even have to do any route planning as a good mate lives there and rides almost every day. He even has a car to carry our bikes around to wherever we want to start.

Oh yes. :D:D
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Starsboy wrote:

Aha, excellent, please report back your experience so I know what do to for October, preferably with pictures (of the bike not you!)

I got this Aeroad from the Canyon rental centre last year, excellent service and I'm renting from them again this year. Pic is at San Salvador Monastery, which isn't far from Cala D'or and is a great climb - testing, with loads of switchbacks.

IMG_6374_zpsb76ff9b2.jpg
  • markhewitt1978
    I got this Aeroad from the Canyon rental centre last year, excellent service and I'm renting from them again this year. Pic is at San Salvador Monastery, which isn't far from Cala D'or and is a great climb - testing, with loads of switchbacks.

Very nice! And San Salvador is one of the rides I have planned. It's close enough that I can meet my wife there and ride back to Cala d'Or and we can spend the rest of the day on the becah!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    No need to go to Majorca now! Looks like we've got a good 8 days of sunny and 18 to 20'C!
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    One month until we go now, really looking forward to it. Are there organised rides daily that we can tag on to from anywhere does anyone know? We're staying in the same hotel where Pro Cycle Hire are based.
  • markhewitt1978
    Pro Cycle Hire do rides every morning from outside their shop I believe?
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    Cheers, any idea if it's just one group or do they cater for different abilities?
  • markhewitt1978
    Cheers, any idea if it's just one group or do they cater for different abilities?

No idea mate just from memory I never went out with them - or found the shop for that matter, even though I stayed in Port de Pollenca for 2 weeks.