Majorca, I love it.

1151617181921»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Out and back is fine. The other route is just better IMO.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Cant help with the MA12 but, if you are bothered about Strava segments don't stop at the top of Coll de Femenia, it seems that the Strava segment goes beyond that, I had been wondering why people were going past, down a bit then turning and coming back up til I got home!!
  • Yep, it is the MA-12, runs along the coast down from Alcudia. Staying on the outskirts of Santa Margalida, not far from San Serra de Marina (sp?).
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    No the MA10 is great!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • PBlakeney wrote:

Have you got a Strava route for that one then. I’m aiming for three rides so could do Cap / MA-10 Sa Calobra / your route potentially?

Cheers
  • gdf
    gdf Posts: 26
    This has the majority of it, just keep going after the petrol station towards Sa Calobra. Out and back is fine too though. Both Femenia and Sa Batalla are fun climbs. Femenia is a better decent though so definitely come down that way.
    https://www.strava.com/routes/1062186
    That's taken from this site which has loads of good information. https://www.tramuntanacycling.com/en/

MA12 from Alcudia is alright. I cycled it a few years ago from PP to Arta. It's a little busier than some roads but fine to ride on. Use Google street view to get a look at it if you're unsure. I've just dropped the pin somewhere outside Can Picafort here but have a wander around to see the whole road. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7508454 ... 312!8i6656

Port Pollensa parking - this little parking area was at the back of the hotel I stayed in last year. Pretty sure it's free, people just came and went all day. Doubt you'd have a problem parking here for the morning.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carre ... d3.0839933
  • Cheers gdf, for some reason hadn’t thought about googling it! Always nice to get an idea of the roads you’ll be riding on.

The road surface makes even that road look appealing compared to the cycling in Cheshire. May just do that road over and over again! :D
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    PBlakeney wrote:

Have you got a Strava route for that one then. I’m aiming for three rides so could do Cap / MA-10 Sa Calobra / your route potentially?

Cheers
    Here you go. This is the route with a shortcut that bypasses Selva, although that is another option and you only have to start in Pollenca..
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/18581943
    Another option that wouldn't be too much further is Muro, Sa Pobla, Buger, Campanet, Selva, Lluc, Pollenca and home. Only you can decide on the timing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Go twice a year, once on a family holiday when I only get one day on a bike (always hire from Bruce at Pro Cycling in Pollensa) and once with the boys for a 4/5 day trip when we take our own bikes.
    Stay in Pollensa nearly always but this year gone off piste and staying in Soller.
    The ride to Cap Formetor is awesome, the MA10 all the way from Pollensa to Valdemossa is superb (14k descent!) and if you stay out of Palma centre you will have a great time.
    The weathers great, the tarmac smooth, the drivers courteous, the beer cold and none of the climbs are killers...I love it!
  • The weathers great, the tarmac smooth, the drivers courteous, the beer cold and none of the climbs are killers...I love it!

Excited now, gonna stop worrying about it and just enjoy it. Got 88km and 1200m of climbing in my legs yesterday so feeling a bit better about it anyway.

Cheers for all the pointers guys!
  • Ticked off Cap Formentor, Sa Calobra and Coll del Sa Batalla, three great rides (200km over 3 rides)! The roads are beautiful to ride, thanks for all the help.

Hired from Max Hurzeler, service was decent, bike was okay.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    '''if you stay out of Palma centre you will have a great time.'''

If you can spare some time to potter about in Palma it is an exceptionally pleasant city with lots of quite good cycle lanes (check opencyclemaps, on osmand off-line if signal is dodgy) . We usually go to the markets and hang around cafes etc.
    See what is on at Teatro principal . We have seen really good opera and flamenco there.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Hi, Majorca newbie here. I'm off for a family holiday there at start of October and was thinking of hiring a bike for 2/3 days.

I'm staying in Cala D'Or, and have read that Danilo Hondo is the best place to hire in that area. Is that still the case?

Any advice on routes to take? Looking at doing around 40-60km rides. Am I better heading up the east coast? Or down towards south coast? Also, thinking of doing San Salvador. What am I to expect? I started riding again this year after 6 years off, would consider myself reasonably fit; have been doing club rides once a week of around 40-60 miles with 2500-3000 feet climbing, avg 15-17mph. Is San Salvador going to be difficult or is it not as hard as the average gradient makes it seem?

I guess it is best to head out early morning to avoid peak sun hours. Is 8am ok? Or too late?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    You could take a ride over to Palma,a 60km ride each way. Lot of quiet roads but even main roads have a cycle lane on each side.Drop down into Arenal and along the prom to C’an Pastilla( Which is where we prefer to stay). Then take the 13k sea front cycle path all the way into Palma to the Marina. lots of cafes and bars for a break. Just gentle climbs most of the route. Don’t worry too much about the sun. We usually head out after breakfast about 9:30 and do full day rides and back for teatime and cold German beers!
    Lucmajor is a nice town for a shorter run if you don’t want to go to Palma. Good cafes in the square. You don’t have many coast roads as such from Cala you have to drop down from the main road to many of the resorts.