Majorca, I love it.

Comments

• bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    edited March 2014
    My wife has now mentioned Menorca as a possibility, any decent cycling / cycle hire there at all?
    You need to put an immediate stop to this.
    Just tell her "You'll love it there". Do you want me to run you to the airport? Love you."
    Job done.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I lived in menorca for four years before moving to mallorca. There is a bike shop that rents in mahon but its mainly mtbs. The island has a fair few roadies but there is nit much great cycling there. Its roads are like a fish skeleton in a tom and jerry cartoon you cant do much in the way of a loop. There is a centre spine fast desdly A road east to west with roads off it but they all lead back to the main road in one way or another. There is a few loops but you would get bored fast. You can mtb riound the island on the cami de cavalls which is amazing. One climb of monte torro. Its steep but not that high 300 meters or so? Mahon to fornells and back is the best loop but not much else. Mallorca is 1000 time sbetter. If you want a great chilled very pretty holiday. Menorca wins each time. I love the place,
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Are there any road bike hire places around the Cala d'Or area as this is one of the places we are looking at.

We'll have a car so we could drive to Port de Pollenca but would rather not have to - holiday time being precious.

Canyon Base at the Club Robinson hotel in Cala Ferrera, it's 15 mins walk from the centre of Cala D'Or.

Last year I got an Aeroad with Dura Ace Di2, this year I'm getting an SLX with Campag EPS. Amazing bikes for around £15 per day.

Their service is great and if you email them they'll send a list of what's available in your size.
  • mallorcajeff
    There is a bike shop called escapda in campos. They hire. If you google the name it will come up. Can also rent canyons on the south coast from canyon themselves.
  • Whats the weather like at the moment Jeff?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mallorcajeff
    Last week has been beautiful and its been the best winter so far in the ten years ive been living in the med. not had any rain to speak off for few weeks. Sunny and high 70s last few days. Rain forecast for this saturday but then good again. Lottery this time of year though can go either way. Im nit bothered in having three weeks off the bike due to a crash and got stitches in me knee which is annoying as i love this month and next month as there is so many tourits here to race. 39 thousand arrived on the island just for cycling this weekend alone! Bloody mental on the roads.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    3 weeks until we head there at Easter! Can't wait!

Booked with lowcostholidays and it cost us £150 each self catering in Alcudia.

Went last year on a similar deal, but not specifically for cycling, saw just how good it was, hired bikes and did Sa Calobra and now are going back to do it properly this time!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • 39 thousand arrived on the island just for cycling this weekend alone! Bloody mental on the roads.

Jesus!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    39 thousand arrived on the island just for cycling this weekend alone! Bloody mental on the roads.

Jesus!

I know Majorca's popular for cyclists, but 39 000??!! You sure?! That's nearly 100 full jumbo jets!
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Looking at going on a cycling holiday in june, never been before so properly book with a company to get shown a few rides, looking forward to it though
  • mallorcajeff
    Yep berni its that busy. This mornings ride to work was a joke. Bloody germans and swiss everywhere. Busiest year ive known in ten years. Roll on may when they go home and leave the island for the rest of us to enjoy ;-)
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Yep berni its that busy. This mornings ride to work was a joke. Bloody germans and swiss everywhere. Busiest year ive known in ten years. Roll on may when they go home and leave the island for the rest of us to enjoy ;-)

Maybe if each of those 39000 donated a euro, there'd be enough to resurface the road out to the Formentor lighthouse, which is shocking and spoils what would otherwise be a really nice ride...!
  • mallorcajeff
    Tell me about it just done know why that stretch gets ignored. They have done so many roads this year that had nothing wrong with them but ive got a feeling its something to do with local councils etc and paperwork as it is probably one of the pretiest routes on the island yet the worst surface. We have so many broken spokes and bikes come in each week where they have been down the road. Im going to ride it next weekend not done it few a couple months.
  • It could be to stop people going so fast up and down it? (I mean cars!)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Does anyone have any advice about riding across the Mallorca interior? I've only really done the coast and the hills around Soller.

We are thinking of staying in Cala d'Or and I was planning a ride which would start in Cala d'Or then go across country and to Soller over the pass, obviously would prefer to stay off roads which might be busy with lorries etc!
  • markhewitt1978
    Tell me about it just done know why that stretch gets ignored. They have done so many roads this year that had nothing wrong with them but ive got a feeling its something to do with local councils etc and paperwork as it is probably one of the pretiest routes on the island yet the worst surface. We have so many broken spokes and bikes come in each week where they have been down the road. Im going to ride it next weekend not done it few a couple months.

I know nothing of Mallorca politics but doesn't the road pass into a different administrative area once it gets back down to sea level at Formentor? Certainly the surface from Port de Pollenca to Formentor is excellent, then it all falls apart (literally) after that.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Booked to be there the first week in June although a knee ligament injury from a recent skiing trip has put it slightly in doubt, fingers crossed.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    The other half and child (9year old girl) are that sick of holidaying in the UK they are desparate to go anywhere as long as it is sunny and abroad.
    Even to the exctent of encouraging me cycle !
    I was advised (on here to try Annecy) any further additions to ths ?
    I love hills and would probably ride for a couple of hours each day , leaving the rest of the day for some family time.
    Need to get organised so I look forward to any help you can offer.
    Do not want to take my bike so a good standard hire road bike would be a prefered option.
    regards
    ILG
    PS
    This would be my first bike holiday so a list of do,s and dont,s from experienced holiday cyclists would be appreciated.
  • markhewitt1978
    Are you talking about going to Mallorca? As Annecy is in France?
  • ilovegrace
    Are you talking about going to Mallorca? As Annecy is in France?
    Sorry poor post .
    What I should have posed is, other than Majorca where would you advise for a cycling holiday.
    regards
    ILG
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Well, I'm plotting a training weekend at our place in Italy and have litteraly bikelied this

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/lake-como-route

Thats just one of several routes I'm planning from our base in Menaggio.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I fly on Tuesday :D
  • markhewitt1978
    ednino wrote:

Where are you staying?
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Go to Majorca ilovegrace, stay in Puerto Pollensa, hire a bike from Bruce at Pro Cycle Hire, leave your family on the beach/pool and join one of the shop rides (from Pro Cycle Hire). Be back around lunch time to spend the rest of the day with the family.

Happy days.

I'm off there on the 28th April.

Then back again in August with the family (and a sneaky ride perhaps!).
  • ednino
    ednino wrote:

Where are you staying?

Hotel Daina, puerto pollensa
  • neil.s
    ednino wrote:

Hotel Daina, puerto pollensa

SNAP!

Stayed there last year. Staying there again this time (staying in the sister hotel, the Uyal, with the family.....again).
  • ednino
    Hows the food? I've booked half board
    Heard the bike store isn't all that secure...
  • neil.s
    Sorry, been out on the bike.

Food was excellent IMHO. Buffet brekkie and buffet evening meal. Plenty of choice.
    I got sick of bacon and eggs after two days :oops: so went all continental on my ass :wink:

Bike storage? To be honest we never used it. We were in the apartments just across the road so we kept the bikes in our rooms. You could get two bikes and blokes in the lift with a little luck. If you're in the main hotel forget it, you'll not get your bike past the desk. Plenty of guys were using the bike storage though, never heard of any issues whilst we were there. If you're worried take an extra lock. Oh, if you are in the apartments ask for a room that isn't overlooking the road outside. We got woken every morning by the bin men (we were on the top floor), it sounded like we had left the windows open but we hadn't. It was very strange how you could hear so clearly with the window shut (window = patio door).

Be sure to go to Sa Collobra. It you only manage one ride makes sure it's that one.
  • ilovegrace
    Neil.S wrote:
    Go to Majorca ilovegrace, stay in Puerto Pollensa, hire a bike from Bruce at Pro Cycle Hire, leave your family on the beach/pool and join one of the shop rides (from Pro Cycle Hire). Be back around lunch time to spend the rest of the day with the family.

Happy days.

I'm off there on the 28th April.

Then back again in August with the family (and a sneaky ride perhaps!).
    Just got sat down to read your post.
    Looks good.
    Many thanks for the info.
    regards
    ILG
  • ednino
    thanks, that's great

Will 100% make colabra, major, formentor etcc

might visit the velodrome at Sineu too