The Hour *** spoilers ***

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I took a wander over to The Clinic this morning to see how they're taking it.

Apparently the entire effort was a calculated affront to regular posters on the clinic.

They're getting lazy.

Now they're judging riders based on the guestlist at their event (which Wiggo probably had very little to do with), rather than 'calculating' power output and claiming super-human efforts.

I loved the guy who was imagining evil Brad "laughing at all us keyboard warriors because he knows we know". Brilliant.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,160
    I took a wander over to The Clinic this morning to see how they're taking it.

Apparently the entire effort was a calculated affront to regular posters on the clinic.

They're getting lazy.

Now they're judging riders based on the guestlist at their event (which Wiggo probably had very little to do with), rather than 'calculating' power output and claiming super-human efforts.
    And it wasn't even a guestlist. Anyone could buy centre track VIP tickets.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Has Hutch said he would give this a go at all?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    And Bruyneel has said that he bought his ticket.....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • disgruntledgoat

He tried a few years ago when the rules were still "athletes hour"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382

He tried a few years ago when the rules were still "athletes hour"
    Didn't he make two attempts (at least)?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    He has tried twice before but to be fair to him he is not in the same bracket as the Boardmans and Wiggos of this world.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    deejay wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    This might help to put it in perspective.

New UCI Rules Introduced.
    Alex Dowsett (GB) 52.937km Manchester, 02/5/2015
    Rohan Dennis (Aus) 52.491km Switzerland, 08/2/2015
    Matthias Brändle (Aut) 51.852km Switzerland, 30/10/2014
    Jens Voigt (Ger) 51.115km Switzerland, 18/09/2014
    Ondrej Sosenka (Cze) 49.700km Moscow, 19/07/2005

Real All Comers Hour Record
    Graeme Obree (GB) 52.719km Bordeaux, 27/04/1994

How come Brandle, Dennis and Dowsett aren't on the second list?
    Simple answer is they are not good enough to beat Graeme Obree's 1994 record that he did on his "Homemade Bike" that had none of this ultra lightweight material.
    He wasn't a professional but an ordinary clubman who designed a bike to suit himself and later got sponsorship to pay expences.
    Your riders are well paid pro's with all the facilities who cannot beat a 21 year old record achieved by an odd ball cyclist who the bureaucratic UCI didn't like the look of, so they made excuses to ban him.
    What they allow now in their standardised rule book goes against all that they said 20 years ago and all you need now is a Top Tube.
    Wiki wrote:
    To see Obree in full flight, shoulders hunched and elbows tucked into his ribs, is a memorable sight. His face contorted with pain illustrates the effort he is putting in. And yet, not too many minutes after he has finished a ride the champion is sufficiently relaxed to talk with a queue of pressmen.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    deejay wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    This might help to put it in perspective.

New UCI Rules Introduced.
    Alex Dowsett (GB) 52.937km Manchester, 02/5/2015
    Rohan Dennis (Aus) 52.491km Switzerland, 08/2/2015
    Matthias Brändle (Aut) 51.852km Switzerland, 30/10/2014
    Jens Voigt (Ger) 51.115km Switzerland, 18/09/2014
    Ondrej Sosenka (Cze) 49.700km Moscow, 19/07/2005

Real All Comers Hour Record
    Graeme Obree (GB) 52.719km Bordeaux, 27/04/1994

How come Brandle, Dennis and Dowsett aren't on the second list?
    Simple answer is they are not good enough to beat Graeme Obree's 1994 record that he did on his "Homemade Bike" that had none of this ultra lightweight material.
    He wasn't a professional but an ordinary clubman who designed a bike to suit himself and later got sponsorship to pay expences.
    Your riders are well paid pro's with all the facilities who cannot beat a 21 year old record achieved by an odd ball cyclist who the bureaucratic UCI didn't like the look of, so they made excuses to ban him.
    What they allow now in their standardised rule book goes against all that they said 20 years ago and all you need now is a Top Tube.
    Wiki wrote:
    To see Obree in full flight, shoulders hunched and elbows tucked into his ribs, is a memorable sight. His face contorted with pain illustrates the effort he is putting in. And yet, not too many minutes after he has finished a ride the champion is sufficiently relaxed to talk with a queue of pressmen.
    Obree also did 2 attempts on consecutive days didn't he? and broke it on day two.

Having said that I don't think it's fair to ridicule these riders because you see Obree as having been wronged. Surely they didn't do anything wrong and don't deserve your scorn.
    Also weight is of little enough importance for a flat speed record, aerodynamics is much more important. That's where Obree broke new ground followed by others and why the regulations were changed in an attempt to standardise the event, rightly or wrongly.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just got round to posting this but Wow! What a night. The atmosphere was amazing, my ears were ringing when I got out it was so loud!

Sean Yates was sitting just back from us, we met Malcolm Elliot walking about as well. We met the others from our club outside the cycle surgery just in time to see Millar standing on the roof of Brailsford's Bentley whilst his sister looked on saying "I'm going to get fired for this!"

We waited around a bit to see if Wiggins was coming out (He didn't) but we saw Dr Hutch and Brailsford. THEN some Spanish guy came out, it was only Big Mig himself so he signed the page in the programme with his Pinarello on. Big Mig and Yates were in the first TDF I ever watched so it was quite a special night.

I managed to get two free Rapha posters they were flogging off for a fiver each and two Rapha hats that have to be worth at least £25 quid each going on their prices so I think the ticket cost was covered!

I think Mr Dowsett is going to have a job beating that distance to be fair.
  • disgruntledgoat

@gietvangent
  • deejay
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Having said that I don't think it's fair to ridicule these riders because you see Obree as having been wronged. Surely they didn't do anything wrong and don't deserve your scorn.
    How did I ridicule the riders when all I answered was facts and a bit of information of past events when the spectators of that time were equally involved like those last saturday.
    The riders that "disgruntledgoat" mentioned were below (bar one, only just) the standard set in 1994 by a vitual amatuer but they don't realise that had been done, before they had ever ridden a bike.
    I do remember the Obree picture on the front page of L'ÉQUIPE celebrating the achievement of a New Hour Record.
    I ridicule the UCI bureaucrats when I think they deserve it and the Giro wheel change between two countrymen is another prime example of many I have witnessed.
  • disgruntledgoat
    How do you know they don't realise?

@gietvangent
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,682

Can't get too excited about the groupees being present, but I don't know how they got around the rules about custom built kit.
  • deejay
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    Hutch saying he doesn't think the record will last a year.

I'm not so sure, it will still take an exceptional tester on an exceptional day with access to the very best preparation and equipment to beat that. Factor in finding a gap in busy schedules and a high possibility of failure and I don't think it is such an attractive proposition.

So the record has very quickly become just like the old record that Boardman set?
    EPC06 wrote:
    Apologies if this has been covered, but how much of a real advantage did Boardman's 96 bike give him over what Wiggins rode yesterday?

Here's Wiggo:

1372.jpg

...and here's Boardman:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAPJBJEQZCiKDjOzALzZDRiO4qSX-dH-xIikSIu3ujFserVZu9vEhubyfU

Wiggo is arguably as flat. Does that mean that the hour is only open to those with the physiology that will allow them to adopt a really flat position because of the UCI rules?

FWIW. O'Bree was a hell of a bloke. After abandoning the first attempt, he ended up using the 'water clock' method. Throughout the following night he would drink a pint of water which would go through the system and wake him up and then get up to do some stretching then drink more water and he repeated this all through the night to prevent getting stiff. So the second (successful) attempt was remarkable as he was a bit worse for wear after the poor night's sleep.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • frenchfighter

Interesting. I'm not surprised either, BC are a bunch of elitist crooks. UCI should show some and DQ him for the illegal bike.

I really hope Big Tone comes and murders that record. On a proper bike. Showing Wiggins how you reach the pain cave and stay there.

SPTDW412_zpse08d6533.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    hammerite wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's not particularly tight to the black line.

I was thinking that.
    For pursuiting, coming out of the corners they often drift up off thwe black line as it helps for going into the next corner. No loss of speed.
  • oldwelshman
    Very impressive how he is able to keep the splits so so close together.
    Brecause he is a world class and experienced pursuit rider. The top track riders can feel if they go .1 or .2 sec either way. They hold the pace and have a coach to walk the line to show schedule, if they go too much over they will loose time quickly.
  • disgruntledgoat

Interesting. I'm not surprised either, BC are a bunch of elitist crooks. UCI should show some and DQ him for the illegal bike.

I really hope Big Tone comes and murders that record. On a proper bike. Showing Wiggins how you reach the pain cave and stay there.

SPTDW412_zpse08d6533.jpg

Well your good mood didn't last long!

@gietvangent
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,612
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Just got round to posting this but Wow! What a night. The atmosphere was amazing, my ears were ringing when I got out it was so loud!

Sean Yates was sitting just back from us, we met Malcolm Elliot walking about as well. We met the others from our club outside the cycle surgery just in time to see Millar standing on the roof of Brailsford's Bentley whilst his sister looked on saying "I'm going to get fired for this!"

We waited around a bit to see if Wiggins was coming out (He didn't) but we saw Dr Hutch and Brailsford. THEN some Spanish guy came out, it was only Big Mig himself so he signed the page in the programme with his Pinarello on. Big Mig and Yates were in the first TDF I ever watched so it was quite a special night.

I managed to get two free Rapha posters they were flogging off for a fiver each and two Rapha hats that have to be worth at least £25 quid each going on their prices so I think the ticket cost was covered!

I think Mr Dowsett is going to have a job beating that distance to be fair.

I think we must of had pretty much the same night! Met Mig, nabbed posters, met SDB, and laughed at Millar :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • oldwelshman

SPTDW412_zpse08d6533.jpg
    dream on Frenchie lol The only way Martin will do it is if he starts track training now for 6 months, learns how to pace just below max effort and learns to use lower gear. He churns much bigger gears than Brad in TT and he will not get over a huge gear on the track, it is not a TT it is 1 hour going round in circles. Look what happened to Bobridge !! He is probably the only guy to challenge wiggo if he can sort his pacing out. I was surprised his effort was so bad, more mental than physical I suspect.
  • frenchfighter
    Bobridge is good but he is no Martin. He is not even a Dowsett!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339

And none of the three is a Wiggins.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    Tony Martin is a better time trialist then Wiggins as is Cancellara. Better at going in circles? No, not really. I know what I would want to be better at.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    Tony Martin is a better time trialist then Wiggins as is Cancellara. Better at going in circles? No, not really. I know what I would want to be better at.

Sadly, what you would rather be better at doesn't really come into it as the hour is (drum roll please) on a track.

Cancellara hasn't been a better time triallist than Wiggins for a good three years and I reckon Martin is better on a drag strip but Wiggins is the better on what we would call a sporting course.

@gietvangent
  • timbob67
    timbob67 Posts: 30
    The bike needn't have been illegal... The manufacturer has to be in a position to sell the bike and/or any special components commercially within 9 months of first using it in competition. No minimum production numbers or value is set...

So surely, Pinarello just have to sell Wiggins' bike, with its unique handlebar setup (production run of 1) to him for£0.01 before next March and it's fine...?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

Nope. He's a Bobridge. Individual pursuit World Record holder. He probably has more chance on the track than Martin does.
  • frenchfighter
    Why, because ability at 4mins is akin to ability at 1hr? You should let the track sprinters know.
    Contador is the Greatest