Vuelta a Andalucia 2014 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Banter...doncha love it...
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    A stage profile that leaves absolutely nothing to make it an interesting race = a dull race.
  • r0bh wrote:
    Porte was never going to beat Valverde with those tactics today on that parcours. Still, you can understand why SKy used those tactics rather than fire Kennaugh/Thomas off the front. Rehersals.

They better also work on Plan B, C and D as there is some serious real racing talent who are going to shower them with surprises this year.

But surely Valverde is peaking far too early?

Kind of guy that wins all season year after year. Doesn't know how to soft pedal.

Well, not in the last few hundred metres, at least.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    Valverde won this race and two stages last year. He didn't win another race all season, so it's a little premature to be getting overexcited. These are like pre-season friendlies.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Valverde won this race and two stages last year. He didn't win another race all season, so it's a little premature to be getting overexcited. These are like pre-season friendlies.

I would check his palmares and world ranking throughout his whole career. Stuff most riders dream of.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:

I would check his palmares and world ranking throughout his whole career. Stuff most riders dream of.

Jersey red.svg 1st Overall Vuelta a Andalucía
    Jersey blue.svg 1st Points classification
    1st Prologue & Stage 3
    1st Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana
    2nd Giro di Lombardia
    2nd Amstel Gold Race
    2nd Clásica de San Sebastián
    3rd Bronze medal blank.svg World Road Race Championships
    3rd Overall Vuelta a España
    Jersey green.svg Winner points classification
    3rd Liège–Bastogne–Liège
    3rd Vuelta a Murcia
    4th GP Miguel Indurain
    6th Milano–Torino
    7th Overall Critérium du Dauphiné
    7th La Flèche Wallonne
    8th Overall Tour de France
    9th Overall Tour de Romandie

He sure does consistently finish in the top ten but not winning all season.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Well I enjoyed it. Sky tried the turn and burn. Valverde did everything right for his win.
    Great chess on wheels.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    I thought great champions won with panache, not sitting on the wheels until the final 200 metres before unleashing a sprint?
  • sjmclean wrote:
    Porte only got back from OZ a week ago ...

The Cowardly Lion stepped up today ...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Quite a predictable end, rubbish tactics by Sky, basically a black and blue lead out train for Valverde. That is it for the GC then, be interesting tomorrow though with Kittel out of the picture.

Are we allowed to mention Wiggins' turn on the front? ;-)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,565
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Quite a predictable end, rubbish tactics by Sky, basically a black and blue lead out train for Valverde. That is it for the GC then, be interesting tomorrow though with Kittel out of the picture.

briefly
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    I thought great champions won with panache, not sitting on the wheels until the final 200 metres before unleashing a sprint?
    The greatest trick that Valverde ever pulled was convincing the world he was an exciting rider.

He epitomises my arguements against time bonuses.
  • Paul 8v
    dish_dash wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

briefly
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,340
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    The greatest trick that Valverde ever pulled was convincing the world he was an exciting rider.

He epitomises my arguements against time bonuses.

Valverde's basically an uphill Gerrans, isn't he?

Time bonuses are the work of the devil.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Paul 8v
    His prologue was pretty kick a$$ but yeah, he didn't win an exciting way. He did use his head though, which as much as it pains me to say it is what Gerrans does too.
  • If you ride like Sky then what else is Valverde supposed to do? What would you suggest he does? Attacking off the front is useless...those boys will burn themselves out until their top guy is back in contention and then he will have little left for the sprint and may get dropped before then. Or he can ride their silly wheel then attack in the last 500m take a few seconds and the bonus seconds. Its quite clear what he has to do.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you ride like Sky then what else is Valverde supposed to do? What would you suggest he does? Attacking off the front is useless...those boys will burn themselves out until their top guy is back in contention and then he will have little left for the sprint and may get dropped before then. Or he can ride their silly wheel then attack in the last 500m take a few seconds and the bonus seconds. Its quite clear what he has to do.

Wait so if a Sky rider attacks from 500m he's boring but if Valverde does it he's a great champion? Jesus.
  • RichN95.
    If you ride like Sky then what else is Valverde supposed to do? What would you suggest he does? Attacking off the front is useless...those boys will burn themselves out until their top guy is back in contention and then he will have little left for the sprint and may get dropped before then. Or he can ride their silly wheel then attack in the last 500m take a few seconds and the bonus seconds. Its quite clear what he has to do.
    He should do exactly what he's doing. I'm criticising him. I, and others, are just pointing out that he's not the exciting attacking rider some think he is (presumably because he's Spanish), but just a higher altitude version of Gerrans.
  • Well lets be honest here - the rider knows how to attack, knows how to ride solo and certainly knows how to force a selection...I have seen it time after time along with his wins such as today. Gerrans is much much worse. In these wins he is no worse than anyone that finished in the first group - he is just best of those that rode the sky burn out train - right?

000_dv1216120_600.jpg

526726-4448561-460-296.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    sjmclean wrote:

Wait so if a Sky rider attacks from 500m he's boring but if Valverde does it he's a great champion? Jesus.

I don't think that's the issue. If you drive the train fast enough, nobody can sensibly escape. (Definitely the tactic for Wiggins in 2012. Much less so in 2013 where Froome wanted more uphill room to attack.) Deterring attacks like this is inherently negative and bad for fans (especially True FansTM). I agree with this. Slower trains would lead to more attacking riding as the risk of blowing is reduced.

Having said that, it's such a sensible tactic that it would be negligent for any team to ignore it, and the upside is that when somebody reliably beats it they'll be a hell of a rider.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    For all the talk of Sky trains it was notable how many riders were left at the business end.

I made it 14

Maybe if organisers decide they don't like this GC strategy they cut to 7 man teams?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    Well lets be honest here - the rider knows how to attack, knows how to ride solo and certainly knows how to force a selection...I have seen it time after time along with his wins such as today. Gerrans is much much worse. In these wins he is no worse than anyone that finished in the first group - he is just best of those that rode the sky burn out train - right?

I'm always amazed he has a suntan, given he spends most of his time in the shadow of other riders, waiting and watching.

He doesn't know how to attack and he rarely rides solo, you're confusing him with someone else (Froome maybe?). He has a great sprint, so sitting in and waiting to unleash that is almost always the right tactic for him, but please let's not make out he's some great champion, swashbuckling his way to great wins.
  • For all the talk of Sky trains it was notable how many riders were left at the business end.

I made it 14

Maybe if organisers decide they don't like this GC strategy they cut to 7 man teams?

You reckon 5-10& of a field is a lot?

I agree about smaller teams in general - which would also help the teams with lower budgets and enable better participation in more races.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp wrote:
    Well lets be honest here - the rider knows how to attack, knows how to ride solo and certainly knows how to force a selection...I have seen it time after time along with his wins such as today. Gerrans is much much worse. In these wins he is no worse than anyone that finished in the first group - he is just best of those that rode the sky burn out train - right?

I'm always amazed he has a suntan, given he spends most of his time in the shadow of other riders, waiting and watching.

He doesn't know how to attack and he rarely rides solo, you're confusing him with someone else (Froome maybe?). He has a great sprint, so sitting in and waiting to unleash that is almost always the right tactic for him, but please let's not make out he's some great champion, swashbuckling his way to great wins.

You being an ardent Valverde hater there is little point in me arguing. I would just reiterate again what I said in the post you quoted - which is honest. I also like him as so many on here hate him - he is not my favourite rider even if I like him a lot and prefer he is in races.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:

In his entire career Valverde has won a race by more than 5 seconds on only three occasions (excluding time trials)
  • Nice stat. You can also check where he has finished in a select group ahead of the rest or when he has finished first of the GC candidates by a margin even if not won (due to a non-GC threat winning).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The last time I can recall Valverde attacking from beyond the kite was Ventoux
    in the Dauphine, a few years back.
    Since then it's always been mark wheels and sprint when within sprinting range.
    Effectively, he's sucked the life out of as many uphill finishes as all
    the combined Sky trains and then some.
  • Really? So you dont recognize the win from the photo I posted? Its from 2012 and the biggest race in the season. Attacked with others from 125km out - ended up finishing 19secs ahead of Froome because the big blue locomotive wanted to catch him. There are numerous other examples in the smaller Spanish races as well as the Vuelta where he is part of a select group - winning solo repetitively is not a pre-requisite for a great champion.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Valverde wins to his strengths ... Which, regardless of his shadiness, puts him in the same bracket as Boonen, Fab, Cav ... and an uphill copy of Sagan ...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,861
    edited February 2014
    Really? So you dont recognize the win from the photo I posted? Its from 2012 and the biggest race in the season. Attacked with others from 125km out - ended up finishing 19secs ahead of Froome because the big blue locomotive wanted to catch him. There are numerous other examples in the smaller Spanish races as well as the Vuelta where he is part of a select group - winning solo repetitively is not a pre-requisite for a great champion.

Was he a threat to the Maillot Jeune at the time?
    No. Well over half an hour down.
    His "attack" was allowed to go, like any other GC no hoper.

Lightweight.