XTR 2015

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    njee20 wrote:
    The more you see of it the more you realise just how caught off guard they were by XX1, I am just finding it all totally underwhelming.

Do you think?

I just don't think they're targeting the single ring market, which is a pretty small market in itself. Strikes me as sensible to not try and get those on XX1 back to Shimano after a year or two, go after the far more lucrative OEM and 2x/3x markets. Apparently the desire to go single ring is quite a UK one.

You ay that but there a couple of US bikes coming single ring only like the new santacruz nomad..
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    njee20 wrote:
    The more you see of it the more you realise just how caught off guard they were by XX1, I am just finding it all totally underwhelming.

Do you think?

I just don't think they're targeting the single ring market, which is a pretty small market in itself. Strikes me as sensible to not try and get those on XX1 back to Shimano after a year or two, go after the far more lucrative OEM and 2x/3x markets. Apparently the desire to go single ring is quite a UK one.

It started out as a very UK thing, but it's a popular set up in Canada as well and XX1 has bought it to the states more for sure.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited April 2014
    Shimano are the masters of working metal. Take a look at the hollowtech chainring construction. On my Dura Ace chainring that upper outside join is impossible to see even with a loupe. Clearly this sort of construction adds strength.
    It's now tricked down to the new 2015 mid-price 105 road chainset. My guess is the next gen XT will surely follow.

2015 xtr
    img685eaf93c92af16f758647dd830f112f.jpg

dura ace 9000 and 7900
    IMG_1279.jpg

DA 7900 back
    22222-2.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited April 2014
    What's the diagram with 70 on trying to show?
  • adamfo
    What's the diagram with 70 one trying to show?

70 degrees
  • Chunkers1980
    Well, yeah, 70 degrees of what or in relation to?
  • Chunkers1980
    Also looks like completely different brakes for Trail and XC/race rather than just the leavers and plonking a finned pad in of the last generation.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    adamfo wrote:

70 degrees

They've moved the arms closer to each other to be more in the 'power' zones.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • lawman
    Also looks like completely different brakes for Trail and XC/race rather than just the leavers and plonking a finned pad in of the last generation.

The race brakes look pretty much identical to the M987's they introduced last year with a new magnesium lever body and caliper. Not sure whether they'll add the carbon lever from those to the trails though, hard to tell from the pics, but guess we'll find out tomorrow :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Those pics show an aluminium lever on the Trail brakes still.
  • adamfo
    edited April 2014
    benpinnick wrote:
    adamfo wrote:

70 degrees

They've moved the arms closer to each other to be more in the 'power' zones.

Indeed, just like the recent road cranksets, the part of the chainring not in the power stroke does not need a spider arm. The dura Ace 9000 is hence lighter than the old 7900 one.

img8b9c55defb529d9aa3936d313a3b7d25.jpg
  • njee20
    Has the added advantage on the road you can use compact and standard rings on one BCD without the rings being flexy.
  • adamfo
    So, is the XC cheaper ?

img6f8377cbc4b197e87bdbf4ada1624ec9.jpg
  • lawman
    adamfo wrote:
    So, is the XC cheaper ?

img6f8377cbc4b197e87bdbf4ada1624ec9.jpg

From memory the old trails and xcs were the same price, but the newer m987's were a little more expensive. Not entirely sure cos I didn't pay for mine :lol:
  • njee20
    I was contemplating changing to the M987s, and they appeared to be available cheaper than M985s. No idea on retail prices.
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    I was contemplating changing to the M987s, and they appeared to be available cheaper than M985s. No idea on retail prices.

Just had a look and the RRP of the M985's is £194.99, yet the newer M987's which are 40g lighter are £169.99 :? If you are looking for a set of M987's I've got a brand new pair I'm likely gonna flog once I've got all the details of the new ones :)
  • njee20
    Could be interested. Don't need rotors or adapters or owt. Starbike are doing them for £230 for the pair, as a reference...
  • lawman
    Once full details and UK RRP's are announced I'll give you a shout :)
  • Is the Di2 version launching tomorrow too?
  • lawman
    Is the Di2 version launching tomorrow too?

I would guess so
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    adamfo wrote:
    More of a titanium colour than bronze

imge4d35965dac7183237a1093271478135.jpg
    I see the pivot location on the cage has moved, it used to pivot through the top jockey wheel but now is a bit below slightly more like the XX1 mech
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • lawman
    By heck I was right!!! :D

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/04/11/fir ... tr-groups/
    No, there is no 10t or 42t cassette ring, but one of the main benefits of the cassettes is that it fits on standard Shimano freehub bodies without any new parts. Unlike the road groups, Shimano was able to squeeze 11 gears into the space of 10, without making the gears any narrower thanks to the larger low cogs. Unlike a road cassette, the big cogs can be dished around the spokes since they sit out farther, so the freehub body and the hub spacing remain the same

No that is a huge advantage it has over XX1!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The only issue i can see (and its possibly a small one) is that by dishing the cassette to allow it to fit on a standard freewheel you move your whole gear system that bit closer to your wheel and spokes, a smaller bend in your hanger could cause some nasty situations(I have a habbit of bending hangers).
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I await someone to create a 42t cassette adapter
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • lawman
    dusk wrote:

11-40's fine for me, especially as fits on a normal freehub. I'm willing to bet a lot of folks are going to be willing to sacrifice a small amount of extra range for being able to use their existing freehubs and not a proprietary one like the XD driver for XX1.

I'll be interested to see if the 1x chainring is secure as they say it is, not that it bothers me too much as I run a top guide on all my bikes anyway.
  • njee20
    dusk wrote:

You'll wait a bloody long time, considering the gap to the next sprocket is 5t, a 42t would be horrible plonked on the end. 12 speed too...
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    XX1 or X01 every time. Greater gear spread on 1x11 and better IMHO for 99% of people. Seems like Shimano just did not want to pay to license the XD driver so cutting there nose off to spite there face.
  • njee20
    CBA to get into the same debate here as on STW, but not everyone wants to ride 1x11, it's a very UK thing for every man and his dog to want to do it. Of those who do, most (those unfit overweight riders aside) will find an 11-40 fine. Not needing to buy new free hub bodies will appeal. Cheaper cassettes will appeal. The fact it's Shimano not SRAM will appeal to a significant number.

People are looking at this as a comparator to XX1, it was never pitched like that, it's more holistic, and I'd be shocked if it didn't outsell XX1 by a margin.

FWIW I use XX1, I'd find an 11-40 fine, I found 11-36 fine.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    njee20 wrote:
    CBA to get into the same debate here as on STW, but not everyone wants to ride 1x11, it's a very UK thing for every man and his dog to want to do it. Of those who do, most (those unfit overweight riders aside) will find an 11-40 fine. Not needing to buy new free hub bodies will appeal. Cheaper cassettes will appeal. The fact it's Shimano not SRAM will appeal to a significant number.

People are looking at this as a comparator to XX1, it was never pitched like that, it's more holistic, and I'd be shocked if it didn't outsell XX1 by a margin.

FWIW I use XX1, I'd find an 11-40 fine, I found 11-36 fine.

^ this.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.