Friday Thread: If Scotland vote YES will TWH have to leave?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A route to growth that can easily be exported to any other country, as long as it is Egypt...

A bit unimaginative aren't you?! I can see a grand project for Scotland - a ship canal from Irish Sea to North sea opening up a fast marine trade route between Ireland and Scandinavia!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    A route to growth that can easily be exported to any other country, as long as it is Egypt...

A bit unimaginative aren't you?! I can see a grand project for Scotland - a ship canal from Irish Sea to North sea opening up a fast marine trade route between Ireland and Scandinavia!

It's called Loch Ness :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Or you could go via Falkirk :wink:

Salmond probably has a plan for a mile-wide canal just north of Newcastle :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • We may be crap as you have suggested but why do you want us to stay in the UK then?

There's no chance of a paramilitary backlash if there's a no vote. If it's a no then that's what the majority want. We will get over the disappointment and plod on.

Who is "we"? Are you doing the old trick of equating the SNP with the entire population of Scotland?

Never said I was a fan of the SNP. Bit of a huge assumption there.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Or you could go via Falkirk :wink:

Salmond probably has a plan for a mile-wide canal just north of Newcastle :shock: :wink:

He'd better brush up on his geography then unless by "just north" you mean 50+ miles.
  • YIMan wrote:

He'd better brush up on his geography then unless by "just north" you mean 50+ miles.

When you live 600 miles (by road) north of London and 300 miles north of Newcastle, 50+ miles IS just north :wink:
  • rolf_f
    YIMan wrote:

When you live 600 miles (by road) north of London and 300 miles north of Newcastle, 50+ miles IS just north :wink:

Yeah, but you Scots seem to have a notoriously bad sense of geography given the 'Aberdeen is nearer to Amsterdam than London' thing. I reckon we'll have to take a close look at you when you are putting up the border wires :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rolf F wrote:

Oh yes, that will have the ships queueing to save an hour or two won't it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

• Very good Alex Salmond went to a gym. Who are you trying to kid he could never pass the pie shop.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    YIMan wrote:

Yeah, but you Scots seem to have a notoriously bad sense of geography given the 'Aberdeen is nearer to Amsterdam than London' thing. I reckon we'll have to take a close look at you when you are putting up the border wires :lol:

If the position of Hadrian's Wall used to be good enough, surely putting Salmond's Moat in the same place makes sense. Besides, would anyone really miss Northumberland?
  • Rolf F wrote:
    YIMan wrote:

I'm undoubtedly more English than you are - not a drop of Scots blood in me :wink:
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    YIMan wrote:

I'm undoubtedly more English than you are - not a drop of Scots blood in me :wink:

Something of a wild assumption but absolutely correct! Now stop spoiling my joke. :lol:
    If the position of Hadrian's Wall used to be good enough, surely putting Salmond's Moat in the same place makes sense. Besides, would anyone really miss Northumberland?

Hang on a minute. There's no way we are giving Salmond Hadrians wall. He can use the crummy Antonine wall instead!
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Something of a wild assumption but absolutely correct! Now stop spoiling my joke. :lol:

A reasonably safe one - my family tree goes back a very long way. Sorry about the joke :oops: most Dutchies (including my boss -who is Belgian as it happens) think I'm Scottish because I have a house in Scotland...
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

A reasonably safe one - my family tree goes back a very long way. Sorry about the joke :oops: most Dutchies (including my boss -who is Belgian as it happens) think I'm Scottish because I have a house in Scotland...

Yeah, but family tree going back a long way doesn't really mean much in terms of how English you are if all you are doing is following the male line (obviously I'm guessing that is what you did - apols if wrong!). You have to follow both parents and all male and female lines to be sure you are very English and not many people must do that on the grounds of the enormity and pointlessness of the task!

I'm half German for one generation, quarter Polish and quarter German for the next generation and so on. But if I follow the male line I'm completely English for hundreds of years.

Millions of English people will find a very English male line and you don't have to go far back before you're likely to see a fairly static origin.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Yeah, but family tree going back a long way doesn't really mean much in terms of how English you are if all you are doing is following the male line (obviously I'm guessing that is what you did - apols if wrong!). You have to follow both parents and all male and female lines to be sure you are very English and not many people must do that on the grounds of the enormity and pointlessness of the task!

I'm half German for one generation, quarter Polish and quarter German for the next generation and so on. But if I follow the male line I'm completely English for hundreds of years.

Millions of English people will find a very English male line and you don't have to go far back before you're likely to see a fairly static origin.
    Exactly. My family came over in 1066 but then went native, Fathers side no idea on his Mothers side but seem native, Mothers fathers side were natives. Mothers mothers side half German quarter Italian.

So yep i am a Yorkshireman.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited February 2014
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

My family have only traced us back to 1753 in Suffolk even with the advantage of an unusual name. I'm a little sceptical of claims to be "completely English for hundreds of years" even if only on the male line.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Yeah, but family tree going back a long way doesn't really mean much in terms of how English you are if all you are doing is following the male line (obviously I'm guessing that is what you did - apols if wrong!).

No - both sides :wink: In fact my mum's side was far easier to trace as she has a family bible with all the births marriages and deaths going back a couple of hundred years: one of her relatives was killed in the charge of the Light Brigade etc etc My dad's side was far more humble but came from the East End and it was reasonably easy to trace.
  • rolf_f
    Now I quote:

For this to be so, you will have had to go up through male and female sides for each generation. ie family tree of both parents, family tree of all four grandparents, Family tree of all 8 great grand parents, Family tree of all 16 great great grandparents and so on and so on. If you've done all of that, right back to the beginning, only then you can reasonably claim an absence or otherwise of Scots blood! If you have done that, then huge kudos to you!
  • If you go far enough back were all related. How are all you distant cousins doing?
  • Rolf F wrote:

Hang on a minute. There's no way we are giving Salmond Hadrians wall. He can use the crummy Antonine wall instead!

Tsk! I see the old imperialistic land-grabbing gene is still strong in you English...
  • rjsterry
    Rolf F wrote:

Tsk! I see the old imperialistic land-grabbing gene is still strong in you English...

IIRC you're English, too. Anyway, many of the leading figures in the British Empire were Scots. You might even say the Scots are over represented.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Not at all - you can patrol the Antonine wall as much as you like. We'll chuck rocks at you off Hadrians Wall and the gap in the middle can be no mans land where the rational can live!
  • rjsterry
    Semi serious query: if Scotland does "detach" what happens to the nationality of those born in England, but settled in Scotland? Automatic conversion to Scottish nationality? Automatic right to remain as an ex-pat British citizen?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I suppose you have to ask what the remainder is going to call itself. Will Britain or the UK still exist? It won't be Great Britain anymore anyway.
  • rjsterry
    I suppose you have to ask what the remainder is going to call itself. Will Britain or the UK still exist? It won't be Great Britain anymore anyway.

Well that issue is already fairly murky Great Britain is just the name of the largest island of the UK. It could still quite easily be the UK. I seem to remember some talk a while back of retaining HM the Queen as head of state; is this still on the cards, what with her hoilday cottage up there an' all.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    Scotland leaving has no impact on 'Britain' - my nationality is British whether or not that includes Scotland.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Semi serious query: if Scotland does "detach" what happens to the nationality of those born in England, but settled in Scotland? Automatic conversion to Scottish nationality? Automatic right to remain as an ex-pat British citizen?

Not such a daft question - I guess if you hold a GB passport, you can choose? Or have dual nationality?
  • Since Britain is the place name for the main landmass from JOG to LE then how could it still be called Britain. It would be Southern Britain maybe. I don't think you could call yourself British anymore. You guys would need to change your passports as well.
  • Since Britain is the place name for the main landmass from JOG to LE then how could it still be called Britain. It would be Southern Britain maybe. I don't think you could call yourself British anymore. You guys would need to change your passports as well.

So if Catalonia left Spain, would Spain no longer be called Spain? Or, with Quebec gone, Canada would have to change its name?