Eurosport 2014 / Cycling

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    http://www.forvo.com/word/robert_gesink/

said by a Dutchie.
    I can get the surname correct, but back throat rolling the R in "Robert" is just a step beyond my capabilities.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Paul 8v wrote:
    On the subject of this: Robert Gesink

Hhhay-sink

But the hardness of the H depends on where in Nederlands or Vlaanderen you come from. Noord Holland, Amsterdam accents are hard H's and also hard vowel sounds, as a rule it gets softer the further south you go.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Turfle wrote:
    http://www.forvo.com/word/robert_gesink/

said by a Dutchie.
    I can get the surname correct, but back throat rolling the R in "Robert" is just a step beyond my capabilities.

Ha ha great. See there's a variation in the harshness of the G/H between the first and second, the first being harder than the second.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    phil s wrote:
    cc78 wrote:
    Mac9 wrote:

But how is Vincenzo Nibali's surname correctly pronounced?

Gary Imlach and Rob Hatch seem to say 'Nee-bali'. Most others say it pretty much phonetically. Paul Sherwen says 'N'baali'.

So Paul Sherwen is correct.

No, he's not. It's pronounced Knee-bali

I stand corrected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqSjFaMvTs

an exception for every rule
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    cc78 wrote:
    phil s wrote:
    cc78 wrote:
    Mac9 wrote:

But how is Vincenzo Nibali's surname correctly pronounced?

Gary Imlach and Rob Hatch seem to say 'Nee-bali'. Most others say it pretty much phonetically. Paul Sherwen says 'N'baali'.

So Paul Sherwen is correct.

No, he's not. It's pronounced Knee-bali

I stand corrected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqSjFaMvTs

an exception for every rule

Is that the genuine Messinese/Sicilian pronunciation though?
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    You can't get much more accurate than from the horse's mouth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6d80ZN0Zc0

And another that's frequently mispronounced: Peter Sagan, again said by himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoP5X9HqVo

I think Rob H calls him 'Petter' more often than not, while Sagan I've head as Say-gan, Saah-gan and S'gan from almost everyone, sometimes changing from camera shot to camera shot, rather than Peeter Sag-ann which is how he says it himself.

Good old Liquigas videos!

The mispronounciation of the season must be Quigley's Nairo 'Kin/tin/ah' as opposed to everyone else's KEEN-tana.
  • Turfle
    Ant Mccrossan's "Tejay van good-air-un" is my favourite pronunciation.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Just managed to see the last 4k of Tour of Belgium on ES player, but there was no commentary!!

Looks as though with all the cycling they cover, that they've run out of commentators. :D:D
  • argyllflyer
    edited May 2014
    6wheels wrote:
    Just managed to see the last 4k of Tour of Belgium on ES player, but there was no commentary!!

Looks as though with all the cycling they cover, that they've run out of commentators. :D:D

They showed it in 2013 but it hasn't been shown on British Eurosport (tennis!! :x ) this time around so I guess it's whether or not they carried it in Europe? They may just have the pictures.
  • argyllflyer
    edited June 2014
    (deleted)
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    All this fuss about how to pronounce names seems absurd to me.

I much prefer it if you just use the language and pronounciation that fits with where you are from as opposed to the place or country or person you are talking about.

We seem to be the only country in the world that tries to sound like foreigners.

Are we really supposed to say Paree as opposed to Paris?

Can you imagine what it would be like if others followed this absurd plan?
    Just think what a French person would sound like if he tried to say Glasgee instead of Glasgow, and affected a Billy Connolly accent.

When the Eurosport commentator on the Giro does his fake foreign accent thing I find it much harder to know who he is talking about.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

I much prefer it if you just use the language and pronounciation that fits with where you are from as opposed to the place or country or person you are talking about.

We seem to be the only country in the world that tries to sound like foreigners.

Just think what a French person would sound like if he tried to say Glasgee instead of Glasgow, and affected a Billy Connolly accent.

When the Eurosport commentator on the Giro does his fake foreign accent thing I find it much harder to know who he is talking about.

It's not fake. He's speaking French, Italian, Spanish etc. Glaswegian is a cult, not a language.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Turfle

How do you say Paris-Roubaix?
  • littledove44
    Macaloon wrote:

It's not fake. He's speaking French, Italian, Spanish etc. Glaswegian is a cult, not a language.
    You should go there any try that attitude. Bye. :D
  • littledove44
    Macaloon wrote:

He is commentating on an UK channel to a UK audience. I think he should stick to English.

Watch Eurosport in Spain and you get Spanish commentary. I do not want or expect them to put on "English" voices. Same as in rugby. I love the way the French say Johhny Wilkeensorn, but listening to Eddie Butler doing the fake French thing is absurd. He clearly speaks French so tries, but when he commentates on other countries he doesn't bother.

It's pretentious.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels wrote:

They showed it in 2013 but it hasn't been shown on British Eurosport (tennis!! :x ) this time around so I guess it's whether or not they carried it in Europe? They may just have the pictures.

You're right, I have the T o Belgium up now and as yesterday no commentary. Mind you , I counted twelve feeds available at the moment, three cycling and nine tennis. Fabulous value for money, if you have unlimited internet.

Thanks for the itinerary.
  • 6wheels
    He is commentating on an UK channel to a UK audience. I think he should stick to English.

If he is fluent in Italian, then he would have trouble pronouncing it any differently, it would be unnatural to him.
  • argyllflyer
    6wheels wrote:
    Thanks for the itinerary.

De nada, as Rob Hatch might say!
    6wheels wrote:

You're right, I have the T o Belgium up now and as yesterday no commentary. Mind you , I counted twelve feeds available at the moment, three cycling and nine tennis. Fabulous value for money, if you have unlimited internet.

It seems to be a case of too many rights and not enough slots on the two channels because of the tennis. The have a job lot of Tour Series to show just now, the Giro live & highlights and they also seem to have a job lot of Norway races, with Tour Des Fjords and Tour of Norway this and last week. It's good that ES Player subscribers get a wee bonus I guess.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Turfle wrote:

How do you say Paris-Roubaix?
    How does one pronounce Ajax
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Allez Mark wrote:
    How does one pronounce Ajax
    The football club, the cycling club, the Greek warrior or the toilet cleaner?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Macaloon wrote:

Watch Eurosport in Spain and you get Spanish commentary. I do not want or expect them to put on "English" voices. Same as in rugby. I love the way the French say Johhny Wilkeensorn, but listening to Eddie Butler doing the fake French thing is absurd. He clearly speaks French so tries, but when he commentates on other countries he doesn't bother.

It's pretentious.

Well Butler's fluent in French so it's far from fake. Would you rather Jonathan Davies' hilarious efforts - the fine Toulouse centre Jazzwan amongst his better attempts?
  • argyllflyer
    edited June 2014
    (duplicate post)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,708
    So, Eurosport are back to showing the Tour of Switzerland again this year.
    (stage 1 not live, though)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Macaloon wrote:

It's pretentious.

Bizarre.

Speaking foreign languages and names as they say them pretentious?

Do you feel uncomfortable on trains where everyone isn't speaking English too?
  • argyllflyer
    So, Eurosport are back to showing the Tour of Switzerland again this year.
    (stage 1 not live, though)

yeah I'm assuming the programme on Sun 15th will be highlights of saturday's prologue as well.

With Kirby and Stephens doing the Dauphine and Rob Hatch likely working for the host broadcaster at TdS, I assume Quigley will be doing the comms.
  • argyllflyer
    edited June 2014
    deleted (duplicated)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Kirby's back and with Smith = sound off
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    The updated British Eurosport commentary pairings so far in 2014:

(Matt Stephens was down to summarise at the Dauphine but I wonder if he now will do main comms for Tour de Suisse...)

Tour de France: Kirby & Kelly
    Vuelta a Espana: Kirby & Kelly

Matt Stephens has just been on the BBC saying he is gutted not to be involved with the Tour de France and that the writing was on the wall when he wasn't chosen to go on a recent commentating camp with Kirby's inner circle and confirmed when he was dropped from supporting Kirby in the Dauphine.

Personally I thought he did a great job at the ToC but Kirby was worried he might get shown up at the TdF - looks like someone might need to go to a rival to continue their career.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    mr_poll wrote:
    Matt Stephens has just been on the BBC saying he is gutted not to be involved with the Tour de France and that the writing was on the wall when he wasn't chosen to go on a recent commentating camp with Kirby's inner circle and confirmed when he was dropped from supporting Kirby in the Dauphine.

Personally I thought he did a great job at the ToC but Kirby was worried he might get shown up at the TdF - looks like someone might need to go to a rival to continue their career.

:D The audience figures will collapse without Stephens. I can't believe Eurosport have allowed a motorsport commentator to masquerade as a plastic cycling fan. Unreal.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.