Eurosport 2014 / Cycling

Comments

• The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Kirby is dragging down the coverage. He does a great job of making co-commentators look like idiots. Saturday's TT was some of the worse I have heard in any sport.

I can only assume his brother is the Eurosport CEO or something
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Hatch says he is going to be doing Liège-Bastogne-Liège and the Giro. Also doing more stuff for 5 Live including the Tour.
  • Carlton "and why not, for goodness sake " Kirby.

He really is awful. Why on earth they don't ask David Harmon back I don't know
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RR took a minor savaging from the ES boys today...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • doolie
    doolie Posts: 42
    Daz555 wrote:
    My main gripe with Eurosport is the schedule.

No end of times I fire up the Tivo to watch recorded highlights of race x only to discover womens tennis doubles from Dubai or some random touring car race! :evil:

This drives me nuts. 50/50 as to whether my ES recordings are cycling related :twisted:
    PlanetX RT-57
    Orbea Orca
    Felt DA
    GT Grade
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    thegibdog wrote:
    Hatch says he is going to be doing Liège-Bastogne-Liège and the Giro. Also doing more stuff for 5 Live including the Tour.

Which means its Kirby for Tour of Turkey I'd guess.
  • argyllflyer
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Have Eurosport lost Hatch and Quigley? is it Kirby from now on.... heaven forbid!

Hatch does a lot of stuff elsewhere - all the Flanders classics for the international english feed, 5Live use him for various events too (London-Surrey, TdF, and P-R this week).

Quigley only gets work when Kirby and Hatch are both busy or used on other races.
  • argyllflyer
    edited April 2014
    The updated British Eurosport commentary pairings so far in 2014:

Dubai: Quigley & Smith
    Oman: Kirby (solo)
    Andalucia: Hatch & Stephens
    K-B-K: Hatch & Stephens
    Le Samyn: Kirby & Smith
    Langkawi: Hatch (first week) / Quigley (last few stages) (both solo)
    Strade Bianche: Hatch & Smith
    Roma Maxima: Quigley & Smith
    Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
    Tirreno-Adriatico: Quigley & Stephens
    Milan-Sanremo: Quigley & Kelly
    Catalunia: Kirby & Backstedt
    E3 Harelbeke: Quigley & Stephens
    Criterium International: Quigley & Stephens
    Three Days of De Panne: Kirby & Smith
    Tour of Flanders: Kirby & Kelly
    Vuelta al Pais Vasco: Kirby & Stephens
    Paris-Roubaix: Kirby & Stephens
    GP de Denain: Kirby & Lloyd
    Tour of the Reservoir: McCrossan & Stephens

Coming Up (from @carltonkirby, @RealStephens, @robhatchtv):

Liege-Bastogne-Liege: Hatch & Kelly
    Tour of California: Stephens (someone said he's doing main comms??) & ??
    Criterium du Dauphine: Kirby & Stephens
    Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Kelly
    Tour de France: Kirby & Kelly
    Vuelta a Espana: Kirby & Kelly

And for those who press mute when Kirby comes on! Amstel Gold: Hatch & Backstedt (Sky - highlights or live I know not)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Thanks for the heads up Agyllflyer not the best of news for me being a Kirby muter, looking forward to the Giro at least!
    There is definitely a job going begging as a replacement for when Kirby goes over to covering Crown Green Bowls from the dungeon.
    What happened to Dan Lloyd he was sound and easy to listen to :?:
    My fellow Shropshire dweller David Harmon is sadly missed, can we get him on the comeback trail :?:

What about an online petition surely we would get tens of thousands to sign up :idea:

Above all my wife is fed up with hearing my riposte's at Kirby's wacko commentary :shock:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Anybody watch the "Lemond of cycling"programme after the race? I thought Greg was absolutely awful, like a rabbit caught in headlamps, no more insight than I could have offered myself. Flecha was very good though.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Flecha was great

(AMAZING tan too)
  • Greg was worse than Carlton. True.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I thought they were both ok, it'd be great if we could have a bit more discussion about the racing on Eurosport though, they wheel Lemond out for the cameras and they use Roche, Kelly and others but it'd be great to see their take on some of the debates we have on here, did Boonen do to much, should Wiggins have attacked more, etc.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • argyllflyer
    I'd guess British Eurosport viewers won't see much of GLM during the Tour unless they're dispensing with James Richardson and Co as they would do their own thing while International had interviews etc.
  • Garry H
    I'd guess British Eurosport viewers won't see much of GLM during the Tour unless they're dispensing with James Richardson and Co as they would do their own thing while International had interviews etc.

Was thinking that he was scheduled on uk Eurosport after each stage? Hopefully he'll get better. Should have a lot to offer.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Flecha was great

(AMAZING tan too)

I loved his face when he was interviewing the riders, he just looked so happy and enthusiastic. I think he would be good to keep as a correspondent as he knows the riders and still has the race head on.

Lemond just seemed to say that PR was magical a lot.

Who is that Stefano Bernabino chap? He was a bit silly. I think if they got a better anchor then him (the better main presenter) and Flecha would be a good team.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    What happened to the ES :-

PLANET ARMSTRONG.

More rubbish that is good enough for the USA market.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Garry H
    deejay wrote:
    What happened to the ES :-

PLANET ARMSTRONG.

More rubbish that is good enough for the USA market.

Nah, wouldn't put Lemond on the same label as Armstrong. Lemond's proper Euro. Speaks foreign and everything :wink:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    MrTapir wrote:
    Flecha was great

(AMAZING tan too)

I loved his face when he was interviewing the riders, he just looked so happy and enthusiastic. I think he would be good to keep as a correspondent as he knows the riders and still has the race head on.

His smile reminded me of my son's embarrassed grin in every school play he was ever in - that's why I like Sean Kelly, he unashamedly treats racing as the most important thing there is - you wouldn't catch him smiling.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:
    Flecha was great

(AMAZING tan too)

His smile reminded me of my son's embarrassed grin in every school play he was ever in - that's why I like Sean Kelly, he unashamedly treats racing as the most important thing there is - you wouldn't catch him smiling.

Maybe Flecha should be given a co-commentator position with Carlton for a few races, that would wipe the smile off his face.
  • argyllflyer
    Garry H wrote:

Was thinking that he was scheduled on uk Eurosport after each stage? Hopefully he'll get better. Should have a lot to offer.

He'll certainly be on Eurosport but their programming differs to British Eurosport regularly - International got an extra hour of Carlton and Matt ballsing up the TT on Saturday for example.

Here's the news story about GLM:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cyc ... --spt.html

I could be wrong but I do expect James Richardson to be back on the BE sofa for the pre-and post Tour coverage while everyone else gets GLM.
  • Ron Stuart
    So with cycling in Britain being such a popular and growing participation sport why is it that British Eurosport Cycling is in such a poor state of affairs having Kirby as the main stay commentator isn't this a golden opportunity for Sky Sports to step up the cycling coverage or anyone else for that matter :?:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I would rather it stayed on Eurosport, another £20 a month for sky sports would not be welcome, they would probably make Paris Roubaix and the big races pay per view.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

He'll certainly be on Eurosport but their programming differs to British Eurosport regularly - International got an extra hour of Carlton and Matt ballsing up the TT on Saturday for example.

Here's the news story about GLM:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cyc ... --spt.html

I could be wrong but I do expect James Richardson to be back on the BE sofa for the pre-and post Tour coverage while everyone else gets GLM.

Sure I saw it advertised as being for British es as well
  • argyllflyer
    Garry H wrote:

Sure I saw it advertised as being for British es as well

You could be right and time will tell.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    971283_10203533935330237_2061920951305291367_n.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ron Stuart
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I would rather it stayed on Eurosport, another £20 a month for sky sports would not be welcome, they would probably make Paris Roubaix and the big races pay per view.

Exactly, that's what makes Kirby's commentary doubly annoying you never know what's round the corner :!: 1926650_10152381326514524_3976587945740013616_n.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Flecha was great

(AMAZING tan too)

Maybe Flecha should be given a co-commentator position with Carlton for a few races, that would wipe the smile off his face.

I think unless he specifically volunteers that would be a breach of the European Convention on Human Rights!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ^cycling's answer to Quantanamo Bay
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I momentarily got quite excited when I switched on Eurosport and heard David Harmons voice again (especially after he tweeted over the weekend he was ready to commentate again) on cycling....and then realised they were just showing a race from 2013 :lol:

I do like Carlton Kirby as a commentator, most of the time, he is enthusiastic for the sport and that comes across and it helps to be multi lingual based on the host feeds, increasing use of team car cameras etc, as weve had a few race this year when he wasnt doing it, and both commentators just sat there going "oh sorry we dont understand what they are saying so cant translate" which isnt really good enough.

so its just I dont think cycling has hit the mainstream sports coverage enough for there to be a great pool of tv commentators either existing or learning the trade to pick from, and I doubt ES pay a great deal so its really difficult if your a sports journalist, you can probably find better paid work elsewhere