Eurosport 2014 / Cycling

Comments

• argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Harmon's sudden disappearance seems to have caught everyone out. If the rumours are true about Matt Stephens doing main commentary for Tour of California (and Brian Smith did the main shift at K-B-K for cycling.tv a few months ago), they seem to be trying to get more people trained up. As it is, beyond Kirby, Hatch and Quigley, the only others are Marty MacDonald, Ant McCrossan and Jonathan Harris-Bass, none of whom have been on Eurosport this season yet as they all have other commitments. Then there's Hugh Porter and Simon Brotherton. I'm struggling to think of anyone else.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    The aftershow Lemond thingy was cringeworthy with a crap "leeeesen Vereeee carefooooolee" host that awful cheesy europop back to front questioning. it was like an afternoon version of eurotrash !!! Do me a favour eurosport ambassador of cycling. Was sorry not to hear Kelly on sunday he must have got fed up of kirby and said no i cant please 8) . Matt stephens is growing on me as a pundit. Kirby is a poor mans alan partidge.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Anyone know what Kelly's prior engagement was? Had he been asked to commentate for someone else as I can't think of anything bigger in cycling that day. Maybe it was something trivial like a family wedding!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    The aftershow Lemond thingy was cringeworthy with a crap "leeeesen Vereeee carefooooolee" host that awful cheesy europop back to front questioning. it was like an afternoon version of eurotrash !!! Do me a favour eurosport ambassador of cycling. Was sorry not to hear Kelly on sunday he must have got fed up of kirby and said no i cant please 8) . Matt stephens is growing on me as a pundit. Kirby is a poor mans alan partidge.
    Now I would actually pay to watch if Antoine de Caunes was commentating!
  • argyllflyer
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

And Jean Paul Gaultier would do no worse than Carlton!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Why not both as it used to be :?:
  • argyllflyer
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Why not both as it used to be :?:

Which prompts the question - what has more boobs? An episode of Eurotrash or one of Carlton's live cycling commentaries?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    And there was Lolo Ferrari, Michele's sister
  • Paul 8v wrote:

Seem to remember he was quite into his cycling...

PHO7eba56ec-d81c-11e2-9de8-8e489909b106-805x453.jpg
  • Ron Stuart

Didn't she die of silicon poisoning :?: ...... You just can't beat shear talent..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6xka0yBotk :shock:
  • argyllflyer
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Didn't she die of silicon poisoning :?: ...... You just can't beat shear talent..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6xka0yBotk :shock:

They were real - I'm sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.

:P
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    If you were going to have a Eurotrash cycling commentary thing going on you'd surely have to sign up Rui Costa when he's not racing.

I reckon him and Eddy Wally would make a mean double act.

We'd need to find a role for Monsieur Pingouin too.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:

They were real - I'm sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles.

:P

Nice one :wink: .......(Sir Lance a Lot) of ......(Texas Bull Shyte) :lol:

Think we have strayed a bit though :?
  • argyllflyer
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I feel we have replicated Carlton's commentary from Catalunya - Sergio Henao's return from the naughty step and the staggering comeback of Contador in the ITT!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm going to stick up for Carlton as I enjoy his outlook on life, always chirpy, a sense of humour. Fair enough he doesn't always get the riders right, but hey who does.
  • Richmond Racer
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I feel we have replicated Carlton's commentary from Catalunya - Sergio Henao's return from the naughty step and the staggering comeback of Contador in the ITT!

Very impressed to hear that Sergio was riding again

Talking of confusion over riders with the same surname, will someone please tell Rob Hatch that Sergio and Sebastien are cousins, not brothers
  • argyllflyer
    Very impressed to hear that Sergio was riding again

Talking of confusion over riders with the same surname, will someone please tell Rob Hatch that Sergio and Sebastien are cousins, not brothers

I think he was told on Twitter during Pais-Vasco stage 1 (not Catalunya as I said) just as Carlton was getting pelters for that rubbish about Sergio's shock comeback - RH tweeted that it was the brother but someone iirc put him right - may even have been Brian Smith!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Rob may have got it wrong, but I bet he got the pronunciation bang on.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Call him Bobby Haitch...I bet he'd hate that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Paul 8v wrote:
    You'll think I'm making this up, but Antoine de Caunes's father Georges did actually commentate/report on the Tour for French TV in the 50s & 60s (amongst other things)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • argyllflyer
    There was a clip on Twitter of Maggie and Rob Hatch chatting ahead of a recent race and I was taken aback how broad Rob Hatch's natural accent is (he's from Accrington so broad Lancastrian), he has a much more neutral accent as a commentator. I believe Scott from Velocast interviewed him this week but I didn't hear it.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    You'll think I'm making this up, but Antoine de Caunes's father Georges did actually commentate/report on the Tour for French TV in the 50s & 60s (amongst other things)

This is the most interesting thing I have read on this forum in months.
  • Ron Stuart
    Kirby the clot at it again today covering the Grand Prix de Denain so mute away folk :evil:

Cycling on BBC
    Live Cycling on BBC: TV Rights
    Live coverage of UCI Road World Championships
    Live coverage of World Track Championships
    Live coverage of UCI Track Cycling World Cup

Cycling on ITV
    Live Cycling on ITV: TV Rights
    Live coverage of Tour de France on ITV4 - current deal runs until 2015
    Live coverage of Tour of Britain on ITV4 (broadcasted yearly in September)
    Highlights of Vuelta a España
    Highlights of UCI Spring Classics
    Highlights of Revolution
    Highlights of Halfords Tour Series

Anyone know anymore Kirby alternatives...... Oh God please let there be :!:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I have to see this!
  • Richmond Racer
    Alan A wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Ungrateful wretch! What about knedlicky's whisky recommendation??
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Alan A wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Oooops :oops:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Alan A wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Alan's not see Boonen's car over on the other thread. No that is the most interesting thing on this forum in months!

No but seriously, it is a fascinating fact.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • argyllflyer
    Just remembered Eurotrash's Sister Bendy was a keen hobby cyclist - clearly the influence of Antoine's father was at a deeply subconscious level.
  • argyllflyer
    So it seems Sky are covering Amstel Gold live today from 1pm with Rob Hatch and Magnus Backstedt.