Eurosport 2014 / Cycling

Comments

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Are they going to dust down the Phil and Paul show again for the TDF? it's got to be better than 3 weeks of Kirby :twisted:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    :roll: :lol:
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Are they going to dust down the Phil and Paul show again for the TDF? it's got to be better than 3 weeks of Kirby :twisted:

ITV (the home of Lance apologists) will have P & P show they syndicate with an Aussie and US channel so you will get the usual excitement from then whenever an aussie/yank/brit appears on screen. Eurosport have Kirby so you will get the usual excitement when anything at all happens on screen.
  • Ron Stuart
    mr_poll wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

ITV (the home of Lance apologists) will have P & P show they syndicate with an Aussie and US channel so you will get the usual excitement from then whenever an aussie/yank/brit appears on screen. Eurosport have Kirby so you will get the usual excitement when anything at all happens on screen.

Thanks mr and for the TDF there is some sort of alternative which is something. Alas for many other great races we are faced with no alternative but to listen to Kirby and cringe or watch in silence..... what a pity :(
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    I don't understand why people are so rude about cycling commentators. It's so easy to criticise . . . until you try turning the sound off and having a go yourself.

All commentators have their strengths and weaknesses, and Carlton Kirby's great strength is that he entertains you with wit and a delightful turn of phrase. He is enthusiastic about cycling, but I don't expect him to have the expertise of a professional racer. His co-commentator is paid to provide that.

I think the CK and Brian Smith combination on the Dauphiné has worked very well. They have kept me entertained and informed. Thank you both.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Birillo wrote:
    I don't understand why people are so rude about cycling commentators. It's so easy to criticise . . . until you try turning the sound off and having a go yourself.

All commentators have their strengths and weaknesses, and Carlton Kirby's great strength is that he entertains you with wit and a delightful turn of phrase. He is enthusiastic about cycling, but I don't expect him to have the expertise of a professional racer. His co-commentator is paid to provide that.

I think the CK and Brian Smith combination on the Dauphiné has worked very well. They have kept me entertained and informed. Thank you both.

Kirby is very easy to listen to, but where he falls down is depth of knowledge. A professional commentator should know more than the average fan. The cock-up ahead of Catalunya sticks in the mind when he boldly announced the return of Sergio Henao to racing, and was unaware he had a cousin on Sky's roster. His team list had no first names. If I was commentating on Trek I might for example check which Schleck or Van Poppel was racing if no name was given, and you'd hope CK would do too, especially for the former. In this case,he spent 30 minutes or so going on about Sergio's shock return to the peloton without considering it might be the available cousin. He then tried to claim there was nothing on Sky's website about his late inclusion, but that was untrue - their main news story for ToC on their front page contained the team list with Seb Henao.

Despite that, I like Carlton (over-excited mode excepted) and especially enjoy him on the duller stages that I have time to watch from beginning to end. I also feel Matt Stephens could be a great commentator in years to come with a first-hand knowledge of the sport and a voice that is also very listenable.
  • Ron Stuart
    Birillo wrote:

Drivel, nonsense, twaddle, claptrap, balderdash, gibberish, rubbish, mumbo jumbo, Just like Kirby no wonder :roll:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I watched UK Eurosport a couple of days ago for the first time in quite a while. It took me 10 minutes to get fed up with it. I'm not familiar with the names of the commentators - except of Mr. Calculaaaaaaation - but this guy kept speaking in first person. Like, as he was one of the riders. As he was Contador.. "I will not attack you, Froome"..

Would that be infamous Kirby?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Birillo wrote:

I've really never understood the 'if it's so easy do it yourself' argument. These people get paid to do it. If you employed a mechanic to fix your car and he kept getting it wrong you'd be justified in criticising him even if you didn't know one end of a spanner from another, likewise with a doctor or any other profession. A professional commentator needs to be informative and correct first and foremost and then being entertaining is the finishing touch. If they are regularly making mistakes that a reasonably knowledgable amateur spots then there is a problem.
  • I think we should be grateful there is so much cycling on Eurosport. Just accept the fact some commentators may not be to your taste. Enjoy the sport.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    ThomThom wrote:
    I watched UK Eurosport a couple of days ago for the first time in quite a while. It took me 10 minutes to get fed up with it. I'm not familiar with the names of the commentators - except of Mr. Calculaaaaaaation - but this guy kept speaking in first person. Like, as he was one of the riders. As he was Contador.. "I will not attack you, Froome"..

It could have been. He invents conversations between riders, and then for the rest of his life he will treat those conversations as fact.
  • argyllflyer
    ThomThom wrote:

Yes, Kirby is doing the Dauphine just now along with the Scottish ex-pro Brian Smith.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Birillo wrote:

Ha ha ha ha. Hello Carlton's mum!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Carlton is far more entertaining than Rob Hatch. And he doesn't keep saying 'making the junction' or 'illuminous yellow' which are both incorrect.

I'll happily listen to Carlton Kirby because he is witty and good fun. Yes he gets it wrong sometimes but it's pretty tricky to see who is who a lot of the time.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Why isn't 'making the junction' correct? Hatch is head and shoulders above all the other ES options and an entire body above Kirby!
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Carlton kept talking about riders "being found out" when i watched at the start of the week. After him saying it about 7 times I turned the sound down.
  • argyllflyer
    edited July 2014
    duplicated
  • Ron Stuart
    The updated British Eurosport commentary pairings so far in 2014:

British Championships: Kirby & Stephens
    Tour de France: Kirby & Kelly
    Vuelta a Espana: Kirby & Kelly

Why does the worst commentator get the prime events?

If the French had him to listen to they would lynch him and what a contrast yesterday having put up with Kirby's drivel all week then getting Quigley and especially Dan Lloyd's sharp professional insights in the Tour de Suisse was manner from heaven.
    Who pulls the strings does Kirby have friends at Eurosport surely they can't think he is any good?

When Harmon did Le Tour with Kelly they sometimes had Kirby in the dungeon and Kelly never talked to him as he held him in such low respect, now they work together :!:

Quigley or Hatch with Dan Lloyd would enhance my viewing greatly for the three races listed above :idea:
  • argyllflyer
    Ron Stuart wrote:

If the French had him to listen to they would lynch him and what a contrast yesterday having put up with Kirby's drivel all week then getting Quigley and especially Dan Lloyd's sharp professional insights in the Tour de Suisse was manner from heaven.
    Who pulls the strings does Kirby have friends at Eurosport surely they can't think he is any good?

When Harmon did Le Tour with Kelly they sometimes had Kirby in the dungeon and Kelly never talked to him as he held him in such low respect, now they work together :!:

Quigley or Hatch with Dan Lloyd would enhance my viewing greatly for the three races listed above :idea:

I think it's more a case of seniority. In 2012, Harmon got the biggest races and Kirby did the bulk of the remainder, with Rob Hatch getting things here and there. With Harmon's sudden departure in April 2013, Kirby was the more obvious choice of the two I suppose and was immediately booked for the events Harmon was down for, with Quigley getting the Giro at short notice as neither Kirby or Hatch could do it because of prior arrangements. This year, the pattern seems set of Kirby getting the big races he can do and Hatch getting the big races he can't, subject to his own ongoing commitments in other sports. Because they are all freelancers, they can work where they choose, with Kirby doing all the big Italian races for the syndicated international market and Hatch doing likewise for the Belgian classics and the two Swiss stage races.

Dan Lloyd's great but I don't share your enthusiasm for DQ. For me, he lacks the voice, oratory skills and knowledge to do this well enough. All three can be worked on though. But cycling does share a lot with cricket - long stages at times when nothing happens. For that, you need someone very listenable and Harmon did that brilliantly. Kirby is OTT but does fill the dull stages well. Matt Stephens shows promise as a lead commentator.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I think it's more a case of seniority. In 2012, Harmon got the biggest races and Kirby did the bulk of the remainder, with Rob Hatch getting things here and there. With Harmon's sudden departure in April 2013, Kirby was the more obvious choice of the two I suppose and was immediately booked for the events Harmon was down for, with Quigley getting the Giro at short notice as neither Kirby or Hatch could do it because of prior arrangements. This year, the pattern seems set of Kirby getting the big races he can do and Hatch getting the big races he can't, subject to his own ongoing commitments in other sports. Because they are all freelancers, they can work where they choose, with Kirby doing all the big Italian races for the syndicated international market and Hatch doing likewise for the Belgian classics and the two Swiss stage races.

Dan Lloyd's great but I don't share your enthusiasm for DQ. For me, he lacks the voice, oratory skills and knowledge to do this well enough. All three can be worked on though. But cycling does share a lot with cricket - long stages at times when nothing happens. For that, you need someone very listenable and Harmon did that brilliantly. Kirby is OTT but does fill the dull stages well. Matt Stephens shows promise as a lead commentator.

Seconded/thirded/whatevered.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Not really worth starting a new thread for, but Eurosport appear to be showing 'classic' stages - I presume between now and start of the race. Stage to La Planche des Belles Filles from 2012 on now.

Though iirc, they do use a fairly loose definition of classic.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    If nothing else it reminds us that Leipheimer rode for OPQS for a year. Who knew?
  • argyllflyer
    Turfle wrote:
    If nothing else it reminds us that Leipheimer rode for OPQS for a year. Who knew?

Did he not sign off his unblemished career with the biggest win of all, the Pro Cycling Challenge? :mrgreen: (I may be recalling incorrectly of course!)

Edit: he was third!
  • The_Boy
    Turfle wrote:

I'm sure Movistar did...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,707
    Assuming Eurosport are up for this:
    TDF
    THE NINE STAGES BROADCAST
    IN THEIR ENTIRETY
    Saturday 5 July - Stage 1
    Leeds > Harrogate (from 11.55 on France 2)
    Sunday 6 July - Stage 2
    York > Sheffield (from 11.55 on France 2)
    Monday 7 July - Stage 3
    Cambridge > London (from 13.00 on France 3)
    Wednesday 9 July - Stage 5
    Ypres > Arenberg Porte du Hainaut
    (from 13.35 on France 3)
    Monday 14 July - Stage 10
    Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles
    (from 13.00 on France 3)
    Saturday 19 July - Stage 14
    Grenoble > Risoul (from 11.55 on France 2)
    Wednesday 23 July - Stage 17
    Saint-Gaudens > Saint-Lary Pla d’Adet
    (from 13.35 on France 3)
    Thursday 24 July - Stage 18
    Pau > Hautacam (from 13.00 on France 3)
    Sunday 27 July - Stage 21
    Évry > Paris Champs-Élysées
    (from 15.15 on France 2)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gawd, if you can watch a whole stage you're duller, I mean a better man than me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,707
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gawd, if you can watch a whole stage you're duller, I mean a better man than me.

Not like you to miss the point, Iain.
    It's about the rare opportunity to watch the first hour, which we all know often produces more action
    than the rest of the stage combined.
    Should be a big tick in your chipper box.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    During the Tour de Suisse Brian Smith actually said the UCI should fine riders for descending like Sagan. In the Criterium du Dauphine Kirby was explaining how he was a excellent descender as it came to him naturally.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    During the Tour de Suisse Brian Smith actually said the UCI should fine riders for descending like Sagan. In the Criterium du Dauphine Kirby was explaining how he was a excellent descender as it came to him naturally.

I heard that and thought Brian was a bit off. He was worried that young and impressionable riders would try such extreme descending techniques in races when their handling wasn't at the level of the pros (as well as that stupid looking flopping-of-hands-over-either-side-of-the-stem position, which always makes me think of this
    4192201_std.jpg

). If someone tries something in a race that has the other competitors get a bit edgy, then they'll normally get told in no uncertain terms. Racing will usually be the kill/cure for such bellendery.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Did Brian Smith seriously say that?

How about we let the riders decide for themselves how to ride down the mountains...