Eurosport 2014 / Cycling

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just catching up on the tour of the reservoir. Can we swap one of the usual doughnuts for Sian Welby?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Oh, yes please. I love Sian Welby a little bit.

So do Sky or Eurosport get my viewing figure today? Both? Does it make the slightest bit of difference to anything?
  • Paul 8v
    Turfle wrote:

So do Sky or Eurosport get my viewing figure today? Both? Does it make the slightest bit of difference to anything?
    Eurosport, don't encourage Sky to show more cycling, unless you want to pay an extra £240 a year to watch cycling... :mrgreen:

XxtSZKc9.jpeg
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Eurosport, don't encourage Sky to show more cycling, unless you want to pay an extra £240 a year to watch cycling... :mrgreen:

XxtSZKc9.jpeg

Nice to see Kirby and Quigley in that pic with the lovely Sian.
  • argyllflyer
    (duplicated)
  • argyllflyer
    edited May 2014
    (deleted)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    So much better with Hatch commentating today. Knowledgable and when he made mistakes he rectified them.
  • argyllflyer
    edited April 2014
    Eurosport are going to have to dig deep into the locker to cover races between 9th and 11th of May. Rob Hatch is doing the Giro for them, McCrossan (on-site announcing at finish) and Kirby are doing the Giro for RCS. Quigley will do 4 Days of Dunkirk I think, which means Tour de Azerbaidjan (highlights and live, and upgraded to 2.1 for this year though the field is Pro Continental and Continental) can't use anyone on so far this year. Jonathan Harris-Bass did it last year so I guess it will be him or Marty MacDonald if either are available.
  • Pross wrote:
    So much better with Hatch commentating today. Knowledgable and when he made mistakes he rectified them.

This, his level of rider recognition is second to only Harmon.

I'm prone to seeing the best of Kirby, but his habit of just saying the team name is irritating.

"It looks like it will be a good day for BMC"

"...and Cannnondale launches the sprint"
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,708
    Pross wrote:

LBL was the only classic I watched in English on Eurosport.
    Hatch did a fine job.
    I won't entertain Eurosport when Kirby is commentating unless their is no alternative.
    TRT HD (Turkey) have a McCrossan option, plus 30 minutes more live coverage, free to anyone with
    the right dish.

Thank goodness the RCS have done us the big favour for the Giro!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    TRT HD (Turkey) have a McCrossan option

I know it's a personal thing but I find McCrossan as exciting as listening to someone read Hansard
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Tim Kennaugh ‏@timkennaugh 30m
    Some b0ll0cks gets talked on Eurosport

Peter kennaugh ‏@Petekennaugh 21m
    @timkennaugh you literally just took the words out of my mouth

Retweeted by Peter kennaugh
    Chris Wilkinson ‏@chriswilkinson9 18m
    @GKam84 @Petekennaugh @timkennaugh I'd rather silence than Kirby just chatting sh1t

Seems like someone else isn't a fan
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,708
    Eurosport are covering the Ladies Tour of Britain.
    One hour highlights of each stage around the 9/10pm slot.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • argyllflyer
    Eurosport are covering the Ladies Tour of Britain.
    One hour highlights of each stage around the 9/10pm slot.

Sunday will be a busy one - Azerbaijan live 8am, Giro live 1.30pm, 4 days... live 2pm, Ladies ToB highlights 10pm, California live 11pm.
  • argyllflyer
    edited May 2014
    (deleted)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The updated British Eurosport commentary pairings so far in 2014:

Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Kelly

Joy for cycling fans everywhere.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    A rather nice video (I think) promoting Greg LeMond joining Eurosport.

http://vimeo.com/93629468

There was a piece about the making of it on LeMond of Cycling if you're interested in that sort of thing.
  • argyllflyer
    Jonathan Harris-Bass pops up for the first time this year in the Carlton Kirby/Mike Smith TdF 'dungeon' role ahead of the race.
  • argyllflyer
    edited May 2014
    deleted
  • argyllflyer
    Its the Tour of Denmark today according to Declan Quigley as the break got into the last 2km.
  • Macaloon
    Anybody know why Rob Hatch was locked? This won't help with the Wiki campaign.
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    I wanted to ask this utterly pointless question in the Hatch thread as it is more relevant, but anyway....

The pronunciation of most names is accepted as being either in the rider's regional accent (like Hatch) or in the commentator's own accent.

But how is Vincenzo Nibali's surname correctly pronounced?

Gary Imlach and Rob Hatch seem to say 'Nee-bali'. Most others say it pretty much phonetically. Paul Sherwen says 'N'baali'.

Nibbles suits most on here it seems!!
  • Macaloon
    It won't be long before everybody speaks Google. http://www.forvo.com/word/vincenzo_nibali/
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    Macaloon wrote:
    It won't be long before everybody speaks Google. http://www.forvo.com/word/vincenzo_nibali/

Ah, so Sherwen pronounces it in a Portuguese accent!
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Mac9 wrote:
    I wanted to ask this utterly pointless question in the Hatch thread as it is more relevant, but anyway....

The pronunciation of most names is accepted as being either in the rider's regional accent (like Hatch) or in the commentator's own accent.

Gary Imlach and Rob Hatch seem to say 'Nee-bali'. Most others say it pretty much phonetically. Paul Sherwen says 'N'baali'.

Nibbles suits most on here it seems!!

Italian words are generally stressed on the second-to-last syllable, eg spaghetti, gelato, Torino, espresso, etc

So Paul Sherwen is correct.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I am kinda warming to Rob Hatch, must admit i could not stand his Tony Blackburn pop pickers commentary and the spaghetti western name pronunciations ! - having caught a 10 seconds clip on sky sports news of Carlton Kirby's OTT screaming am glad Kirby is NOT doing eurosports giro coverage. Do the bosses at Eurosport not read forums or ask cycling fans that this charlatan masquerading as a cycling commentator will have folk looking for the mute button....sheer Muppetry of a man.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    cc78 wrote:
    Mac9 wrote:

No, he's not. It's pronounced Knee-bali
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Paul 8v
    phil s wrote:
    cc78 wrote:
    Mac9 wrote:

No, he's not. It's pronounced Knee-bali

I have it on good authority Knee-bali is correct (An Italian person)

On the subject of this: Robert Gesink

Most of the commentators have 5 different ways of saying it themselves so I'm clueless. Dutch is double dutch to me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Rick can confirm the Dutch stuff for us but I know an Afrikaans speaking colleague of mine used to pronounce names starting with G and a cross between a g sound and a h sound. I can pronounce it but can't figure out how to write it phonetically!