Eurosport 2014 / Cycling

Comments

• argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited February 2014
    Brian Smith doing Dubai - I'm presuming he's teaming up with McCrossan for this. Not sure if this is the international feed?

Was posted elsewhere I think that Carlton and Dan Lloyd were doing it, but as RCS are running the race I guess that will be for them as part of their contract to do such like. McCrossan may well be doing the English announcing on stage as he does in their Italian races. So Brian Smith will be Eurosporting with AN Other, Hatch or Quigley I'd have thought.

Edit: Not Rob Hatch as he's covering other stuff (volleyball) this week.
  • I'm wondering if anybody will be covering Qatar, this year.
    So far, I found no details anywhere, but am assuming that Al Jazeera (recently re-branded Bein) Global Sports will, otherwise.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Bein are doing Qatar - I think the women's race starts tomorrow.

It is Quigley and Smith doing Dubai for Eurosport UK.
  • And anyone worried about missing stage 4 of Dubai - don't worry, Eurosport have it covered...
    http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=cycling

LOL, 13 chances not to miss this.

They have decided that 13 is a ridiculous number of showings.

It's now got 16 repeats!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Good to see David Harmon working again though...

Is it just me or has he morphed into Mark Nicholas the cricket commentator? Voice sounds identical, mannerisms are similar.
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Good to see David Harmon working again though...

Is it just me or has he morphed into Mark Nicholas the cricket commentator? Voice sounds identical, mannerisms are similar.

What's he doing? Wish he was on Eurosport cycling again!
  • Matt Stephens giving a decent insight too
  • British Eurosport has cancelled the scheduled live coverage of Andalucia for this afternoon. Darts and showjumping instead. Highlights at 3.30pm though.
  • British Eurosport has cancelled the scheduled live coverage of Andalucia for this afternoon. Darts and showjumping instead. Highlights at 3.30pm though.

"The Home of Cycling"*. (*except on weekends, when other stuff...........any other stuff, happens)
  • Might as well stick this here.

For anyone with access to Rai Sport 2, there is a bonus live race on Sunday.
    First time ever for the Swiss, GP Lugano, thanks to the Italians.
    It precedes their KBK coverage, so starts at 13-25cet (12-25pm UK) and runs to around 15-15cet.

Rai Sport 2 also have the track world champs live from Wednesday, weather permitting.
  • And sticking with the slightly related theme, Sky have their 30 mins highlights of the Omloop on saturday night. It's also one of six live races that mugs (like me) who get cycling.tv in the UK will get this season.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Anyone else find the titles of cycling programmes on Sky Sports entertaining? "Giro D'italia Tour Highlights" and "Cycling - Tour De Flanders" are my favourites.
  • argyllflyer
    edited February 2014
    thegibdog wrote:
    Anyone else find the titles of cycling programmes on Sky Sports entertaining? "Giro D'italia Tour Highlights" and "Cycling - Tour De Flanders" are my favourites.

Reminds me of Carlton Kirby's trademarked and oft-repeated (as recently as the other day in fact!) "Vuelta Tour of Spain."

(And not one of their dud translations afaik but while I'm not a current Sky Sports subscriber, I did notice this morning they have a few races from last year on demand such as Tour de Suisse.)
  • Right Across Flanders and the Brabants Arrow are my favourites.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Seems pretty accurate to me.

I'd translate dwars door vlaanderen as straight through Flanders but is fine.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    thegibdog wrote:
    As tweeted to Ned Boulting by someone:
    BhMn7OwIIAAP4oZ.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    For anyone wondering what's on Eurosport, this link still works

http://2014tvguide.eurosport.com/#/14
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Someone mentioned David Harmon earlier in this thread. Is he back?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Someone mentioned David Harmon earlier in this thread. Is he back?

Nope - and unlikely to be
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    TheBigBean wrote:
    For anyone wondering what's on Eurosport, this link still works

http://2014tvguide.eurosport.com/#/14

Still saying this for me, any ideas tech people?

IISPassword
    The page cannot be displayed
    There is a problem with the page youare trying to reach and it cannot be displayed. It is most likely that configuration files for this url are corrupted.
    Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    Open the home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the home page.
    HTTP Error 500
    IISPassword for Internet Information Services
    » IISPassword Info
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Says that for me on tablet using Chrome but is fine on laptop using Chrome. Mobile issue?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Sky Sports currently boasting "Cycling-Stride Bianche" in their listings for the weekend. :)
  • argyllflyer
    thegibdog wrote:
    Sky Sports currently boasting "Cycling-Stride Bianche" in their listings for the weekend. :)

Genuinely amazed they haven't got it listed as 'White Roads'. Carlton Kirby will doubtless rebrand it the 'Strada Tour of Tuscany'.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Strava Bianchi.

Where everyone rides the route on bianchi bikes with strava on.

He with the most KOMs wins.
  • argyllflyer
    Strava Bianchi.

Where everyone rides the route on bianchi bikes with strava on.

He with the most KOMs wins.

I expect @ukcyclingexpert to come up with something like 'Straddle Bianca' tomorrow.
  • Booner69
    Booner69 Posts: 31
    I genuinely hope David Harmon will come back to Eurosport in time for the Giro.
    I think that the commentators have done an admirable job, but to me, they really seem like they are 'filling-in'.
    Carlton Kirby is great and to cover a 3 week grand-tour, I reckon a commentator needs a knack of 'going off on one'!
    I suppose the king of that was David Duffield....I remember shouting regularly at the telly throughout the spring classics of the 90s, at his incessant ramblings about such things as Frites and Mayonnaise :lol:
    Saying that, I think both Brian Smith and Dan Lloyd are doing a great job.
  • argyllflyer
    Booner69 wrote:
    I think that the commentators have done an admirable job, but to me, they really seem like they are 'filling-in'.
    Carlton Kirby is great and to cover a 3 week grand-tour, I reckon a commentator needs a knack of 'going off on one'!
    I suppose the king of that was David Duffield....I remember shouting regularly at the telly throughout the spring classics of the 90s, at his incessant ramblings about such things as Frites and Mayonnaise :lol:

Sadly he's not coming back any time soon. They are no longer using him after his walk out last year.

Carlton Kirby is already booked for the Tour and Vuelta for Eurosport this season while Rob Hatch is likely to do the Giro as Carlton will be doing it (and all RCS's other races) for the host broadcaster.

Before the walkout the pecking order of Harmon-Kirby was pretty clear and it seems that it's now Kirby-Hatch.
  • Booner69
    Booner69 Posts: 31
    Booner69 wrote:

Sadly he's not coming back any time soon. They are no longer using him after his walk out last year.

Carlton Kirby is already booked for the Tour and Vuelta for Eurosport this season while Rob Hatch is likely to do the Giro as Carlton will be doing it (and all RCS's other races) for the host broadcaster.

Before the walkout the pecking order of Harmon-Kirby was pretty clear and it seems that it's now Kirby-Hatch.

Well that's terrific, thanks.
    I am sad about Harmon; I had read that he wanted to spend more time away from racing, but I really didn't see it coming.
    Maybe the cycling will be great again this year anyway. There is something very 'Test Match Special' about a commentary team when Carlton Kirby is on :-)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    GrenW wrote:
    Says that for me on tablet using Chrome but is fine on laptop using Chrome. Mobile issue?
    Quite possibly, have just tried it on the proper computer and it's all good, wish the tablets just displayed things like a PC does!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Paul 8v wrote:
    GrenW wrote:
    Quite possibly, have just tried it on the proper computer and it's all good, wish the tablets just displayed things like a PC does!

Agreed, the 'mobile jump' on an iPad on this forum being a good example ... Multiple hits anyone?

Doesn't happen on iPhone or laptop (Mac or PC) ...