What do Sky do that makes them so strong? non-doping thread

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    He could have done it for Europcar, but would Europcar have been able to sufficient pace in the kilometres preceding the attack to leave rivals short of teammates?

Attacking for with 5km to go from a group of 15 is not the same as doing it from a group of 50.

True. Would be reliant on other squads with Europcar. But Saxo, Movi, Belkin, even Garmin could launch Froome.
    Well, yes. Ultimately, you've got to have one of the best riders at the end of it (partly why Sky fail at classics).

HTC were probably the best sprint team ever assembled. They would have still won races with Gerald Ciolek instead of Cav, but nowhere near as many. Similarly, Cav would have won races at Europcar, but nowhere near as many.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    Well, yes. Ultimately, you've got to have one of the best riders at the end of it (partly why Sky fail at classics).

HTC were probably the best sprint team ever assembled. They would have still won races with Gerald Ciolek instead of Cav, but nowhere near as many. Similarly, Cav would have won races at Europcar, but nowhere near as many.

You could argue that Froome took such extravagant risks precisely because he couldn't rely on the strength of his team, unlike CAV with his HTC machine.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I also wonder if Froome wanted to make a point regarding the previous years race ... If he had ridden away from those distances in 2012 then the man making history would have been very different ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited January 2014
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You could argue that Froome took such extravagant risks precisely because he couldn't rely on the strength of his team, unlike CAV with his HTC machine.
    But he's not taking extravagant risks. The team have worked out that Froome operates best with a single attack from about 10-15 minutes from the summit and train for those sort of efforts and then race to set up that scenario. (Ideally they like an earlier attack from another team 30s up the road to bridge across to).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    But he's not taking extravagant risks. The team have worked out that Froome operates best with a signal attack from about 10-15 minutes from the summit and train for those sort of efforts and then race to set up that scenario. (Ideally they like an earlier attack from another team 30s up the road to bridge across to).
    I don't disagree with you :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I would urge you to ponder the Vuelta 2012 ...

Please also note that I'm not saying Froome is a bad rider, just that he hasn't proven that he can win in different ways ... Quite the opposite, in fact ...

Would that be the Vuelta which was only a few months after Mr Froome came a very strong second in the far more important grand tour, that virtually every team would frankly love to win...

But the answer to the thread is...Sky aren't as strong as their detractors would have you believe. They've won the worlds biggest cycle race two years in a row, but aside from that, their other results have been quite strong (in tours) to weak/downright embarrassing (one day races).
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Jez mon " Sky aren't as strong as their detractors would have you believe. They've won the worlds biggest cycle race two years in a row, but aside from that" :lol::lol::lol:
  • rayjay wrote:
    Jez mon " Sky aren't as strong as their detractors would have you believe. They've won the worlds biggest cycle race two years in a row, but aside from that" :lol::lol::lol:

It's :lol: not :lol: the :lol: only :lol: big :lol: bike :lol: race :lol: in :lol: the :lol: world. :lol:

Maybe you ought to start a: "What do Sky do that makes them so strong in July?" thread? :lol::lol::lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rayjay
    I also wonder if Froome wanted to make a point regarding the previous years race ... If he had ridden away from those distances in 2012 then the man making history would have been very different ...

If Brailsford was less concerned about giving us the worst tour winner ever Wiggo, then Froome would have a Vuelta and 2 tour wins under his belt.

Wiggo is about as much British as Froome.

We/ GB and those obsessed with a GB win are still waiting for a British born winner.

Personally I don't give a fu%%
  • rayjay
    rayjay wrote:

It's :lol: not :lol: the :lol: only :lol: big :lol: bike :lol: race :lol: in :lol: the :lol: world. :lol:

Maybe you ought to start a: "What do Sky do that makes them so strong in July?" thread? :lol::lol::lol:

I know what they do :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • rayjay wrote:

If Brailsford was less concerned about giving us the worst tour winner ever Wiggo, then Froome would have a Vuelta and 2 tour wins under his belt.

We/ GB and those obsessed with a GB win are still waiting for a British born winner.

Despite that last sentence, starting to get the impression you're actually a bit of a little Englander. Are you, ray? Are you?

:):):) :shock: :shock: :? :? :? :):) :? :o:o:o:|
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    rayjay wrote:

Oscar Pereiro...

and it sure sounds like you give a fu..
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Jez mon wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Oscar Pereiro...

and it sure sounds like you give a fu..

Certainly bangs on about it plenty
  • Crankbrother
    Please could you all stop re-quoting me ... I want no part in the smiley and snidey show ...
  • rayjay
    Jez mon,,, Landis was the real tour winner that year. Oscar Pereiro was awarded the tour.
    He did not wheel suck his way to the most boring victory ever IMO, not your opinon but my opinion.

I don't give a fu%% what country they come from. its clear enough.

RR as usual jumping in with nothing to say.
    I might start doing the same to your posts.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Please could you all stop re-quoting me ... I want no part in the smiley and snidey show ...

c :D h :D e :D e :D r u :D p c :D r :D a :D n :D k
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Crankbrother
    another peril of widom ...
  • rayjay wrote:
    Jez mon,,, Landis was the real tour winner that year. Oscar Pereiro was awarded the tour.
    He did not wheel suck his way to the most boring victory ever IMO, not your opinon but my opinion.

Cheer up ray, tickets for the UKIP Spring conference are already on sale
    http://www.ukip.org/conference/product/ ... ce-tickets

:wink:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

+1
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    rayjay wrote:

Cheer up ray, tickets for the UKIP Spring conference are already on sale
    http://www.ukip.org/conference/product/ ... ce-tickets

:wink:

Book now before Eastern European immigrants take all the places...
  • Crankbrother
    I'll be too sleepy to attend ...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    rayjay wrote:

Despite that last sentence, starting to get the impression you're actually a bit of a little Englander. Are you, ray? Are you?

Another thread that has now become tedious, boring, and judging by that last post, ridiculous. :roll:
  • Nah.
    That post is a prime example of how Sky have become a troll magnet.

Take an insignificant, debatable detail, distort and blow it out of all proportion,
    then make out it's a very significant fact, stick it on a barb and hope to get a bite.

Personally, Wiggins doesn't rock my boat, either.
    I much prefer riders with a bit of spontaneity.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    This may actually get worse when the racing does start.

*shudder*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rayjay
    One little response and off you go again.

It's so easy. If you were fish you would just jump straight into the boat.

You Sky boys, you try and deny it but you can't help yourselves. You jump every single time I want you to.

Even Mike who as me on ignore joins in, Brilliant :lol:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    rayjay wrote:

You Sky boys, you try and deny it but you can't help yourselves. You jump every single time I want you to.

Are you admitting to being a troll?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I have no idea why these threads go on for so long talking drivel and stupid back and forth BS including from people who should no better. There is nothing really Pro Race about it. Go and talk about this in the cake stop if you want to argue like little kids or better still contribute to the tons of other threads on here or start your own thread on something interesting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    PBo wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Are you admitting to being a troll?

Gosh, I wish I was that big and that clever. :roll:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I have no idea why these threads go on for so long talking drivel and stupid back and forth BS including from people who should no better. There is nothing really Pro Race about it. Go and talk about this in the cake stop if you want to argue like little kids or better still contribute to the tons of other threads on here or start your own thread on something interesting.

*and the crowd roared*
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Well said FF. Pretty much pointless stopping by these days. It's just the same people, saying the same thing over and over. Ignore the trolls and they don't have a platform.
This discussion has been closed.