The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Anyone else think Liverpool need to learn a bit of class? The likes of John Aldridge and Jamie Caragher have been wheeled out in the past year to put pressure on Sterling and continually undermine him. He's been heavily criticised for wanting to move to a better club and giving ONE interview AFAIK to football focus. Meanwhile, Liverpool have clearly been briefing the media, though the public face is Rogers doing and saying the 'right thing', he's been badly advised etc. Bullshit. Now the same faces are claiming what a good deal Liverpool have got because Sterling is not all that. Maybe so. But they need to get their own house is order. You wouldn't see such negativity and self pity from any of the other top clubs. I'm not anti Liverpool, I'm West Ham so no favouritism but you can't help the likes of United or Arsenal would've said good luck or failing that kept their council see Ronaldo or Fabregas. If Liverpool think they're a top club, they need to start behaving like it.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Anyone else think Liverpool need to learn a bit of class? The likes of John Aldridge and Jamie Caragher have been wheeled out in the past year to put pressure on Sterling and continually undermine him. He's been heavily criticised for wanting to move to a better club and giving ONE interview AFAIK to football focus. Meanwhile, Liverpool have clearly been briefing the media, though the public face is Rogers doing and saying the 'right thing', he's been badly advised etc. Bullshit. Now the same faces are claiming what a good deal Liverpool have got because Sterling is not all that. Maybe so. But they need to get their own house is order. You wouldn't see such negativity and self pity from any of the other top clubs. I'm not anti Liverpool, I'm West Ham so no favouritism but you can't help the likes of United or Arsenal would've said good luck or failing that kept their council see Ronaldo or Fabregas. If Liverpool think they're a top club, they need to start behaving like it.

Can't disagree with that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777
    :)

11742698_869749833061913_3632194260462192255_n.jpg?oh=ca9cfb8b5d39064947babe443ca834bf&oe=56132EFA

11745609_869902946379935_6090813451630408379_n.jpg?oh=a7fd1a944e364a1ca1425df9036a193a&oe=5651D623

Speaking of which, anyone heard from City Boy? :wink:

In other news, the wife managed to get three tickets to the Chelski - Swansea game on the 8th August, so not too long before it all starts again 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Hmmm. To paraphrase Forrest Gump, Class is as Class Does. Capiche?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552

I think the whole situation has been dealt with appallingly. I am sure after losing Suarez last year ; Victims F.C were desperate not to be seen to be loosing their current crown jewel due to their own negligence.

Two seasons ago, Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling were on fire and raised L.F.C to a level they wont experience for some time now.

In fairness to Sterling he always said he would wait until the end of the season before making a decision on his future. Which basically meant , if we don't make EPL im off.

Nothing wrong with that, I can understand the Lads excitement at playing in a front 3 of himself, Silva and Aguero. Sounds a match if not better than Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling.

I am sure Liverpool have spun the media to come out of this looking scorned. but the simple fact is they aren't performing or looking likely to perform at a level that matches this players ambitions.

It hurts and as a Gooner I ve seen R.V,P win the Prem title at Manure, Cesc win it at Chelski and god knows how many win it at Citee. Plus the indignity of seeing Thierry win the EPL at Barca.

Don't blame the best players for wanting to play on the biggest stages and win things. Blame your club for not matching their ambition. I m Arsenal til I die, but I don't hate any player who's left us to go on to Win things elsewhere.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,121
    News flash: Chelsea reject Ranieri goes to Leicester.

Not sure I agree with your sentiment about the front 3 at City Tim but on the whole, I agree with the rest.
    despite being down to 10 men in the CL final, Henry worked hos socks off. Suarez is world class, no doubt and has surprised me with his attitude at Barca.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tim_wand
    News flash: Chelsea reject Ranieri goes to Leicester.

Not sure I agree with your sentiment about the front 3 at City Tim but on the whole, I agree with the rest.
    despite being down to 10 men in the CL final, Henry worked hos socks off. Suarez is world class, no doubt and has surprised me with his attitude at Barca.

Maybe Silva isn't an out and out attacking forward , but he can still provide that ball or run for others, maybe a bit too much like the player Sterling should be. I truly believe that Aguero is one of the best Forwards / Finishers in the world, and a match for Suarez with the right players around him.

I m also impressed with the way Suarez has kicked on at Barca, although I never doubted his quality and I am sure he carried Liverpool further than they will ever go again for sometime.

I live in Leicester heart land and Father Law is a Season Ticket holder ( I know should be forest really), there is generally a sense of Anti Climax amongst the fans as I think they really hoped they would get Martin Oneil back. If this hadn't been touted and the Ranieri appointment had have been made in isolation, I think they would have been happy, now they are comparing it to the Sven appointment 4 seasons ago, Personally I think he will work out well if given the time.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Manure have taken Pig Stealer and Schniederlin, Not bothered about the former but pissed off about the later. Looks like old A.W really is going to sit on his laurels and pretend discovering the Coq is better than he was on loan at Charlton is as good as having a new signing.

You should be, you were allegedly in pole position when we got him from Strasbourg and then again this time around and lost out both times. Morgan is the complete midfielder.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • tim_wand
    Manure have taken Pig Stealer and Schniederlin, Not bothered about the former but pissed off about the later. Looks like old A.W really is going to sit on his laurels and pretend discovering the Coq is better than he was on loan at Charlton is as good as having a new signing.

I agree, the one player in the premiership (besides Matic) who I would have pushed the boat out for! I cant believe we didn't/ wouldn't stump up £25 million for him, If anything this really puts the pressure on Coquelin to perform this year, unless A.W has a plan B , But I fear not with Artetas contract extension and recovery from Injury.

I don't want to rub salt in the wounds, but one day I d like to see a Koeman / Bergkamp management team at Arsenal, with maybe Pires and Henry on the coaching staff. To date I think on the resources available Ronald has been the best performing manager in the Prem last season ( along with maybe Monk)

The fact that I play Sweeper and have an outrageous 80's blonde ( not strawberry blonde ) fringe and a spreading middle has nothing to do with it.

You should be, you were allegedly in pole position when we got him from Strasbourg and then again this time around and lost out both times. Morgan is the complete midfielder.
  • lostboysaint
    Coquelin isn't even close to be the player that Morgan is. Granted he's slightly younger but he hasn't got anything like the vision or ability.

And I bet your scoring record isn't 1 in 3!!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    LFC did well with the transfer, Sterling was always leaving without Champs, however he did screw himself over with the behaviour and attitude which helped LFC spin it into much more than we didn't make Champs we can't hold onto the best players.

However it is potential they have bought. I reckon Pina or Stevo would look good with Suarez and Sturridge (fit and on form) beside them.

Manure have done well, lets see if they keep DG and if they manage to buy a goal scorer. Pretty loaded midfield to keep happy now tho.

LFC are still behind the top 4 and the season gone was the one they could have helped close that by beating united to 4th.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Coquelin isn't even close to be the player that Morgan is. Granted he's slightly younger but he hasn't got anything like the vision or ability.

I'm surprised how many of you undervalue coquelin to be honest. His game isn't built around extravagance or particular expansive play. For me he represents what arsenal have been screaming out for the last few years. Steel, fight, shear will. A shield for the defence first a foremost. You think he's still got a lot to prove? I think that's true although he's already at a very high level in my opinion. I thought arsenal were much better after Christmas and he played a big part in that no?

Perhaps we should see how schneiderlin performs in the big games, with the pressure of playing for a big club before we decide whose more valuable for their team.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616

11742698_869749833061913_3632194260462192255_n.jpg?oh=ca9cfb8b5d39064947babe443ca834bf&oe=56132EFA

11745609_869902946379935_6090813451630408379_n.jpg?oh=a7fd1a944e364a1ca1425df9036a193a&oe=5651D623

:lol:

It does make me chuckle when people cast aspersions about "class" when their own team is managed by Mourinho and captained by John Terry :shock:

Or when they mock City's empty stadium (with photos taken during half time :roll: ) when their own average home attendance is below City...and Sunderland! :mrgreen:

Or when they make jibes about spending over the odds on a Liverpool player....Torres, anyone?

FWIW, I think £49m is way OTT for Sterling, but there aren't that many good homegrown players around and we need some so we're always going to be held to ransom. At such an early stage of his career, only time will tell whether it is money well spent, but I'd be prepared to wager that he will prove much more value for money than Torres did!

Looks like it's approaching that time of year to dust the handbag off :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • tim_wand

I'm surprised how many of you undervalue coquelin to be honest. His game isn't built around extravagance or particular expansive play. For me he represents what arsenal have been screaming out for the last few years. Steel, fight, shear will. A shield for the defence first a foremost. You think he's still got a lot to prove? I think that's true although he's already at a very high level in my opinion. I thought arsenal were much better after Christmas and he played a big part in that no?

Not doubting the Coq at all, Player of the season at Arsenal for me, just want Wenger to give him some back up, With PL , EPL and Cup games we could be looking at him having a 50 game season, with Bookings and possible injuries we need at least two player to play at that level week in week out.

I think Wenger will re think Wiltshires role in the team , but for me he's too hot headed and likely to dive in to play a DM role, and much better suited further up the pitch.

Arteta can probably do it on a 1 in 3 games level but I still hope and pray that A.W has got someone lined up along with a Centre forward, We need the much alluded to spine!

Others ( Manure ) seem to be strengthening and we need to at least match that.
    Perhaps we should see how schneiderlin performs in the big games, with the pressure of playing for a big club before we decide whose more valuable for their team.
  • Stevo_666

:lol:

It does make me chuckle when people cast aspersions about "class" when their own team is managed by Mourinho and captained by John Terry :shock:

Or when they mock City's empty stadium (with photos taken during half time :roll: ) when their own average home attendance is below City...and Sunderland! :mrgreen:

Or when they make jibes about spending over the odds on a Liverpool player....Torres, anyone?

FWIW, I think £49m is way OTT for Sterling, but there aren't that many good homegrown players around and we need some so we're always going to be held to ransom. At such an early stage of his career, only time will tell whether it is money well spent, but I'd be prepared to wager that he will prove much more value for money than Torres did!

Looks like it's approaching that time of year to dust the handbag off :wink:
    First fishing trip and I hooked one :P. Welcome back...

I shall be headed to a packed out Stamford Bridge on the 8th of August. When are you headed for the Emptihad? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Arsenal's defensive record after Christmas with Coquelin's inclusion was good.

We've seen it before (or should I say LFC has seen it before) when players look good at another outfit, move and don't come up to the mark. As far as Sterling is concerned, it will be a 'watch this space' scenario.
    Very glad sea15w40 has finally given me the credit I am due although aligning me with the mechanically inept is just plain rude.
  • turbotommy
    Tim if you're after bolstering your squad we're having a good ol' fashioned car boot sale over at Spurs at the moment! 3 for the price we paid for 1 on the pile of sh!7e we've acquired the last couple of seasons :shock:!

Totally agree with regards Wiltshire. He looks much better further up the pitch. Not sure whether arsenal are a better unit with him in or out the team though?

As for sterling, the whole saga represents what I hate most about football today.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Cherries are already experiencing the lack of Sky coverage because they are not one of the top teams in the Premiership. They beat MLS side Philadelphia Union last night 4-1 in a 'meaningless' friendly. I am not expecting any report on the match, but the result so far hasn't even be recorded on their results board, unlike other Prem sides playing similarly non competitive games. BBC are no different, and even during their Championship winning campaign last season, I felt that they hardly ever featured in the two/three main games on the Football League Show.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pinno
    Tim...

Totally agree with regards Wiltshire. He looks much better further up the pitch. Not sure whether arsenal are a better unit with him in or out the team though?

Arsenal went on 10 match unbeaten run until the 11th of May Wilshere made his first start in a while. Arsenal lost at home to Swansea and drew the next 2 fixtures. When Wilshere and Ramsey are on the pitch together, Arsenal are too ornate, not direct enough.
  • tim_wand
    Gooners Mid field appeared to be at its best last year , with Carzola in front of the back four. I mean theres no way on earth you can consider Carzola a DM , but they say attack is the best form of defence, he just seemed to give us more time, confidence and stability by just always being able to do the right thing with the ball at the right time.

Undoubtedly having the Coq around to do the dark art dirty stuff and insure we had the possession in that area in the first case to do something , but I must admit I was very impressed to see how much Carzola got stuck in! it wasn't all just pretty balls and dreamy runs from the edge of our box, he actually got some great tackles in and even won some aerial duels.

I m equally as pissed off by the mentality of missing out on Schniederlin as I am at actually not having him as a player.

It wreaks of the Wenger of Old who was reluctant to spend money and thought he could mould his squad into one which was good enough.

Maybe our first 11 is, but only when playing one way , with no plan B and not the depth or variation to cope with Top Premier league rivals and EPL big boys.

Still it is Early days, I would be happy if we got a real quality Striker in, and adapted the myriad of players we have in Midfield to play a bit more like we did away at Citee last season.
  • lostboysaint

I haven't undervalued him at all. I've given you a clear and concise reason as to why he isn't as good as Schneiderlin and you've agreed with me. "His game isn't built around extravagance or particularly expansive play" no, it isn't, because he can't do it. So he fell short in both tackles and interceptions - so isn't as good a defensive MF as Schneiderlin - and he can't pass the ball or open up play as Morgan can either (again, stats bear this out very, very comfortably). It isn't that I've undervalued him, it's that you've just highlighted the shortcomings of the player perfectly and why you should have bought one that is considerably better IF you really want to fight for titles.*

By the way we've got a few more coming off the production line if you want to get the chequebook out again, although it might be handy if you work out how to keep them fit and actually play them in the way they've been brought through rather than try and "Wengerise" them! ;)

*Don't forget we beat you two out three times last year and the game we lost you barely had a shot on target until we went down to 10 men.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Stevo_666
    It wreaks of the Wenger of Old who was reluctant to spend money and thought he could mould his squad into one which was good enough.

Maybe our first 11 is, but only when playing one way , with no plan B and not the depth or variation to cope with Top Premier league rivals and EPL big boys.

Still it is Early days, I would be happy if we got a real quality Striker in, and adapted the myriad of players we have in Midfield to play a bit more like we did away at Citee last season.
    Tim,

While Cech is undoubtedly a very good signing for you, Wenger really has missed a trick if he does turn off the taps now for the reasons that you say above. I reckon that might cost you a decent stab at the title...
  • turbotommy

I haven't undervalued him at all. I've given you a clear and concise reason as to why he isn't as good as Schneiderlin and you've agreed with me. "His game isn't built around extravagance or particularly expansive play" no, it isn't, because he can't do it. So he fell short in both tackles and interceptions - so isn't as good a defensive MF as Schneiderlin - and he can't pass the ball or open up play as Morgan can either (again, stats bear this out very, very comfortably). It isn't that I've undervalued him, it's that you've just highlighted the shortcomings of the player perfectly and why you should have bought one that is considerably better IF you really want to fight for titles.*

By the way we've got a few more coming off the production line if you want to get the chequebook out again, although it might be handy if you work out how to keep them fit and actually play them in the way they've been brought through rather than try and "Wengerise" them! ;)

*Don't forget we beat you two out three times last year and the game we lost you barely had a shot on target until we went down to 10 men.

Hi lostboy

Just to clarify I was trying to highlight the differences between the two players and argue for the qualities coquelin brings to a team rather than agree that schiderlain was the 'better' player but I think you knew that?

It is true that they both carry the label defensive midfielder although I think that is probably too simplistic as within that their roles differ to a degree. I'd probably compare coquelin to a makelele type player in the role he plays and it seems schniederlin is a bit of a like for like replacement for carrick. Can you see the different expectation placed on both players even though they are both defensive midfielders? The point I made in my original post was that I feel that coquelin is the type of player arsenal need. I think it's important when thinking about players relative attributes that you think about the team as a whole and how they function.

I agree with Tim that whichever of the players you feel is better it must be frustrating that wenger never seems to value having strong back up in every position to the extent that the other title hopefuls have. Even with my limited knowledge I've never understood it.

For the record lostboy I'm actually a spurs supporter, as I alluded to in my last post, and I'd of been very happy if we'd bought schniederlin when we tried. Still like you say, you've proved yourself as an excellent little feeder club so I'm sure you'll provide us with more players or managers in the future :wink:
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Stevo_666

11694118_870886276281602_6259267977755740319_n.jpg?oh=2b21422e3c31e1597054e83d71586b19&oe=565294D1

In breaking news, Man City and Liverpool have taken the unprecedented step of launching a joint website:
    http://www.webuyanyc**t.com
  • tim_wand

11694118_870886276281602_6259267977755740319_n.jpg?oh=2b21422e3c31e1597054e83d71586b19&oe=565294D1

In breaking news, Man City and Liverpool have taken the unprecedented step of launching a joint website:

Stephen Ireland has got more class and style than Sterling will ever have! I know I ve seen the pictures of his house and cars.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097

Stephen Ireland has got more class and style than Sterling will ever have! I know I ve seen the pictures of his house and cars.

In glad we have got rid of that distraction

How ironic is his surname
  • pinno
    Maybe Panathanaikos should have bought him him in case they need to raise some capital some where down the line.

I clicked on that bloody link :roll:
  • tim_wand
    Ruddy hell !!!!!! Chuba Akpom, has scored a Hat Trick in a pre season tour friendly against a Singapore select XI, and Wenger's already talking about not sending him out on loan and using him as a first team striker!

It gets worse, he really isn't going to buy anyone else now we have brought in Cech, No wonder he held on to Diaby for so long, probably thought he d save a few quid on having to buy a DM. I bet he'd still be there if Arteta hadn't recovered from injury.

And the worse bit about that would have been we would have been denied the glorious headline of

" DIABY DOES DALLAS "
  • Stevo_666
  • Stevo_666
    Looks like the bidding war for Stones has started. He will make a good Terry eplacement.