The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    For those of us of a certain age, we remember Stan Bowles gracing the old Div 1 with QPR. Sad news that he has Alzheimer's. One of his managers lamented that he couldn't pass a betting shop as well as he could pass a football.
    There is a story of him being in a betting shop in full strip including boots at ten to three on a Saturday afternoon, then dashing to the ground to make the kick off.
    Sad news indeed. :(
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    So it appears Arsenal have secured the services of Petr Cech for the princely sum of £11 million.

Bit mixed emotions on this! Is he better than what we've got Yes, Is he still good enough to be the World Class keeper Arsenal have needed since Spunky retired ( don't really know)

I cant Imagine Jose doing anything which would strengthen Arsene Wenger'
    s challenge for the Prem title, despite all this tosh about doing right by a loyal club servant.

JT is spouting shite in saying he ll be worth 9 to 12 points to Arsenal over the course of a season.

Hopefully it will be the start of Arsenal Strengthening right down the Spine , a World class Centre Back, Defensive midfielder and Striker still required, Unfortunately I think we will get one more player in at best.

Still if Stevo reacts to this one the way he did to the desertion of Fat Frank to the Citee then it will be worth the £11 million just for that. :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777
    I don't remember getting too upset over Fat Frank. After all, 'Agent Lampard' did a decent job on City last season. See if Agent Cech can do the same.

And if you're happy with Chelsea rejects, good for you :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,121
    I don't remember getting too upset over Fat Frank. After all, 'Agent Lampard' did a decent job on City last season. See if Agent Cech can do the same.

Wandy Tim doesn't buy the players. You're continued prose suggesting that any given individual on this thread is responsible for the performances, fortunes and finances of any given club is rather worrysome.

Personally, I think Arsenal needs a real leader and I don't know if Petr is the one to do it. He never has struck me as being the most vocal of players, though I don't doubt he commands a lot of respect.
    Towards the end of the season, Arsenal's defence worked very well. Why disrupt something that seemed to have gained a degree of solidity and momentum?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666

Wandy Tim doesn't buy the players. You're continued prose suggesting that any given individual on this thread is responsible for the performances, fortunes and finances of any given club is rather worrysome.

Personally, I think Arsenal needs a real leader and I don't know if Petr is the one to do it. He never has struck me as being the most vocal of players, though I don't doubt he commands a lot of respect.
    Towards the end of the season, Arsenal's defence worked very well. Why disrupt something that seemed to have gained a degree of solidity and momentum?
    Wandy might think he influences decisions at Arsenal but anyhow he can still be happy or unhappy about who gets bought even if Arsene has the final say :wink:

Cech is the best stopper you lot will have had in a long time but like you say, he's not the leader you need on the pitch.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tim_wand
    After near on 20 years on Arsene Knows Best, I am beginning to become deluded that maybe I know better!

I Lost faith last year when he let Cesc go to Chelski when he obviously wanted to return Home ( and not Barca this time).

Think that Arsenals relatively good end to the season will just refuel Wenger's resistance to go out and get signings at the Sanchez/ Ozil level of the market.

Noises are already being made about not wanting to undermine the development of the Coq and this is a player that Wenger was happy to see out on loan at Charlton last season.

Id like to see the purchase of a Central defender such as Hummels, a Defensive midfielder such as Schniederlin and a centre forward such as Cambell or Benzema. (although I d take Zlatan just to make Cech feel a bit less of an Old Boy)

If we don't make additions on this scale you can be sure, Chelski, Citee and Utd will and it wont be just Chelski we need the 12 point better season to catch. As for the ECL unless we add to those areas then struggling out of the group to the last 16 is all we can hope for yet again.
  • pinno
    I'd get rid of Giroud. I think the service to him at times has been excellent but his hit rate is shyte. We need someone to complement Sanchez with matching pace. If Arsenal could counter attack quicker with the deployment of a bit more pace and clinical finishing, I think that the defence could be organised slightly differently. I am on the fence about Walcott. I would sooner see Oxlade-Chamberlain being fielded far more often and selling Walcott to put money towards a world class striker. I can't square OC on pitch at the same time as Walcott, it seems counter productive.

Rumour has it that Wilshere may be going. Although I like him and I rate him highly, when he is on the same pitch as Ramsey, they are too ornate, too much pass pass pass pass pass interception...fail. At least Sanchez has that direct single minded ability but he needs the players with the work rate and pace to match around him.
  • tim_wand
    Agree with Pina, In that I wouldn't be sad to see Walcott leave, I think he hasn't played much this season as he offers no protection for Belerin going forward, and to be fair Belerin has been class this season and will develop into a world class attacking full back, but needs someone he can overlap with who will provide cover.

Chamberlain is a better all round player than Walcott, he closes the ball down quickly in mid field and drives forward. hard to assess him on last season due to injury and lack of opportunity, but would certainly choose to keep him ahead of Walcott, and see him as having much more development potential.

I m happy with Giroud, I think he holds the ball up well to allow others to play and run off him , whilst still contributing 20 Goals, he needs another Sanchez style player ( as Pina said ) Running off him with pace picking up the knock downs, To often this is not Arsenals way, I think sometimes rather than having 5 ticky tacky forwards facing up to 8 or more opposition players on the edge of their box, we need the ability to go wide or beat players with the ball in the middle of the park,

That's where I see Wiltshire, with a more defensive minded CM covering us if we loose possession I d like to see him running at players with the ball in the final third, or us getting it out wide for players to attack the box.

I don't think we are a million miles off, but I m a bit scared we will stand still rather than push on ,where other clubs will buy in.

The money available to Prem clubs this year is really going to mess up the market and I cant see the Arsenal board getting involved in games like that.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    For me keeping ox chamberlain fit is as good as a new signing for arsenal. I think he's top class with the ball at his feet, great balance, and very direct in his play. Big year for Wiltshire, fair bit to prove still for me. Does Wenger see him in his starting XI. I suppose the million dollar question as always with arsenal is which direction they plan to go with their transfer policy.

As for Spurs... Hard to know where to begin... We seem to lack any real dynamism most of the time and seem to lack any identifiable style. Too many dross players to mention. The divide between the top four and the rest isn't going to close next season. I guess Spurs have got as good as chance as anyone finishing fith with Liverpool slipping further back by the looks of things
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Stevo_666
    The money available to Prem clubs this year is really going to mess up the market and I cant see the Arsenal board getting involved in games like that.
    How's that different to any other year in recent times?
  • Stevo_666
    11046330_862920423744854_2218414822600622898_n.jpg?oh=c1a4cff138bc3d642aba51f0af45b22b&oe=561E43F5
  • Stevo_666
    This got me humming an old tune :)

11701020_868683149835248_3177600138815441223_n.jpg?oh=82ae0ffc86663e8c58423ff39b74d7fb&oe=5614217F
  • pinno
    Despite 3 consecutive posts, no one has bitten yet mate.

Any how, someone post a transfer ticker link please.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Cherries spending money before it's even in the bank. Gradel from St Etienne next for £6m and now the Charlie Austin link has resurfaced. Spoke to a QPR supporter the other day and he reckons that Austin is on £60k per week, so whoever he signs for he will be looking for an increase.
    Back to the Cherries. I reckon 10 wins should keep us up, looking to do the double over Chelski in what should be intriguing battle of the Russian Mafia owned clubs.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • tim_wand
    Welcome Mr Goo and the Cherries. I m hoping Bournemouth do a Southampton ( sorry I know you wont appreciate being mentioned in the same breathe). And the Eddie Howe can replace Roy for England.

I would Imagine Bournemouth would be a really attractive option for one or two players, but would rather see you spending the money on developing the Goldsands than going all QPR and fecking it up.
  • pinno
    What about this?:

"Schweinsteiger had been strongly linked with Louis van Gaal's side for several days, and the transfer was confirmed by Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in a press conference on Saturday."
  • tim_wand
    What about this?:

"Schweinsteiger had been strongly linked with Louis van Gaal's side for several days, and the transfer was confirmed by Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in a press conference on Saturday."

I m hoping this means there may still be a chance of the Gooners landing Schneiderlin rather than going with the Coq and re built Arteta , We ve got the money and shouldn't just be relying on Coquelin.
  • pinno
    Do we need yet another mid-fielder? Don't we need a world class striker? Is Southampton going to actually have a team for the start of the season at this rate? Why is there only one monopolies commission?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Do we need yet another mid-fielder? Don't we need a world class striker? Is Southampton going to actually have a team for the start of the season at this rate? Why is there only one monopolies commission?

Southampton sold around half their first team before the season just finished and still rose in the table by a place. I've always wondered why instead of buying all their players another club doesn't find out who actually runs their academy and scouting network and buy them instead. Seems it would appear far cheaper in the long term.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    £44 million plus for Raheem Sterling. Yup - I said £44 million plus for Raheem Sterling. As a Chelsea fan I'm glad he went to City.

Discuss.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    £44 million plus for Raheem Sterling. Yup - I said £44 million plus for Raheem Sterling. As a Chelsea fan I'm glad he went to City.

Discuss.
    I suppose that's less for City to spend on good players :)
  • Matthewfalle
    :D

Discuss.
    I suppose that's less for City to spend on good players :)

:D ne'er a truer word said my son.

But, at the end of the day, so long as they smash the raping Manure scum home and away this coming they can spend a billion on Piña if they want to .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    That could be taken on a number of levels and as a result, I am now going to smash your new shed to pieces mf.
  • Stevo_666
    I see no connection between City buying a petulant, talentless gimboid for £49m and spending a billion on Pinno :wink::D
  • pinno
    I agree, I would be far better value for money at under a tenner.
  • Matthewfalle
    That could be taken on a number of levels and as a result, I am now going to smash your new shed to pieces mf.

Aaaah - don't do that. I've got today off before doing the next two weeks on straight including 4 days ensuring that idiots don't shoot each other while sleeping in a ditch and am having to spend it either taking the rest of it to the dump or chucking parts of it over the fence.

We had an invasion of slugs overnight so have spent a good hour or so lobbing those over the fence. A few extra bits of shed won't make difference.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    In the meantime, we signed Begovich. Not a bad addition to the squad.

There must be one or two more in the pipeline.
  • Matthewfalle
    So Manure have just spent another £38 million making a total of squill ions over the past two seasons..... Hmmmm, no pressure at all the Van Gaal?

Please, please, please let them come nowhere.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tim_wand
    Manure have taken Pig Stealer and Schniederlin, Not bothered about the former but pissed off about the later. Looks like old A.W really is going to sit on his laurels and pretend discovering the Coq is better than he was on loan at Charlton is as good as having a new signing.

Hopefully he will shock me and sign a World class centre forward, I m just a little scared that Dzeko might be available on the cheap, he likes his North West club reject strikers.
  • pinno
    Dzeko could do better than Giroud. Giroud had so much service last season, he should have been on par with Messi's total. Still think we should have kept Podolski.