The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'll revive the CL thread if you want :) But how can a club claim to be a big club if it has never won the Champions League? Poor little City :P

Pina's right you know...you are starting to sound like a Manyoo fan :roll: :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    But how can a club claim to be a big club if it has never won the Champions League? Poor little City :P

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-take-look-around-new-8247126

Not bad for a small, poor little football club :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    But how can a club claim to be a big club if it has never won the Champions League? Poor little City :P

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-take-look-around-new-8247126

I couldn't quite see the CL trophy anywhere in that link :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I couldn't quite see the CL trophy anywhere in that link :wink:

Getting a bit desperate now, aren't we? :lol:

Remind me, were you still a Middlesbrough diehard back when Chelski bored Bayern to death to scrape their CL trophy or had you jumped on the bandwagon by then? :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'll revive the CL thread if you want :) But how can a club claim to be a big club if it has never won the Champions League? Poor little City :P

Pina's right you know...you are starting to sound like a Manyoo fan :roll: :wink:

Yay, that's a first.

Me thinks Roamin in the Gloamin won't build a £200m facility though. That is a long term investment and should shut the mouthy neighbours up for a long time.

It's all thank to a Gooner though:

"Former Arsenal and England centre-forward Ted Drake became manager in 1952 and proceeded to modernise the club. He removed the club's Chelsea pensioner crest, improved the youth set-up and training regime, rebuilt the side with shrewd signings from the lower divisions and amateur leagues, and led Chelsea to their first major trophy success – the League championship – in 1954–55. "
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Getting a bit desperate now, aren't we? :lol:
    I never knew you wanted the CL trophy that badly :wink:
    City Boy wrote:
    Remind me, were you still a Middlesbrough diehard back when Chelski bored Bayern to death to scrape their CL trophy or had you jumped on the bandwagon by then? :wink:
    I told you about that a good few pages back. Forgotten already? Blimey, with a memory like that you might forget that you've never won the Champions League like we have :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    "Southampton have lost three in a row now and have some tough fixtures ahead"

Good. Hopefully that will get them out of the top 5 where they don't belong.
  • Stevo_666
    Manc33 wrote:

What makes you think Man U belong in the top 5? :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

Any team with a sense of self entitlement quite rightly gets derided when it fails.
    As an example, Manchester United - 2013-2014.
    2014-2015?
    Time will tell but at least one team with a sense of entitlement is going to be very disappointed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

Any team with a sense of self entitlement quite rightly gets derided when it fails.
    2014-2015?
    Time will tell but at least one team with a sense of entitlement is going to be very disappointed.
    Which teams do you reckon have a sense of entitlement?
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

2014-2015?
    Which teams do you reckon have a sense of entitlement?
    Any teams/fans that think that they should be in the top 4 every season regardless of actual results.
    At the start of the season this will include (in my order)
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool

Those that achieve it comfortably can sit back quietly smug, those battling it out should simply keep quiet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    20 into 4 simply doesn't go, there is always going to be a struggle for the top four and the more lucrative champions league qualification. I don't feel a sense of entitlement to finish in the top four as an Arsenal fan, but I would miss Champions league football if we didn't.

I ve found it refreshing to see clubs like West Ham and Southampton upset the status quo this year and that can only be good for football.

Unfortunately the game at the top level requires massive finances and the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool exist on an operating model that demands Champions League football. Some who have never known different at their clubs, may feel this is an entitlement, I personally see it as a Bonus and certainly not a right.

I wish financial fair play rules were more effective to allow teams with less cash/ resources to compete at an equal level, but its a business and a market fuelled by T.V , money and therefore the historically more successful and better supported teams are always going to continue to receive a bigger piece of that pie.
  • pblakeney
    tim wand wrote:
    I wish financial fair play rules were more effective to allow teams with less cash/ resources to compete at an equal level, but its a business and a market fuelled by T.V , money and therefore the historically more successful and better supported teams are always going to continue to receive a bigger piece of that pie.
    This is exactly why the Champions League will be expanded, and the EPL will merely be a qualifying league.
    It is a beast with an unquenchable thirst for more money. Sport is secondary. It gives me no pleasure to type this.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    When you get to the point were only one or two clubs in each domestic European league are capable of winning that league, year in and year out, thus generating the most revenue and keeping themselves at the top of the heap then it seems inevitable that if they and their sponsors wish to expand their earning potentials that an elite world league will develop.

There is already talk in most European leagues of clubs playing additional fixtures in their existing league in Middle East or Asian stadiums to satisfy the larger (Overseas) fan base of these clubs, This is little more than a cynical attempt to respond to potential revenue streams in larger markets.

Perversely the only thing that currently holds this at bay is Sepp Blatter running his own personal fiefdom at F.I.F.A. As much as I despise the man I can see a lot of self interest in individual federations and leagues such as the EPL wanting to break away so the can ultimately legislate and market their own product.

I cant see any team ( especially the " Top Four" clubs ) having the moral fortitude to put the best interests of their domestic fans first, they will ultimately chase the mighty cash cow that the world game can generate.

The only other thing that has thus far held back this exodus is Public apathy to Soccer in the United States where currently the biggest T.V markets exist , but ultimately a change in attitude in the American public and an increase in media platforms in the Far East and Asia will see this all change.

Hopefully the lack of imagination and inquisitiveness ( as Stewart Lee says " Lock an American in room with a tea cosy for 60 days and not once will they attempt to see if it makes a passable hat" ) that exists in the U.S.A means Grid Iron, Baseball and Basket ball will always win out.
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Any teams/fans that think that they should be in the top 4 every season regardless of actual results.
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool

Those that achieve it comfortably can sit back quietly smug, those battling it out should simply keep quiet.
    Not sure how many fans (even some on here :wink: ) think they should be in the top 4 regardless of results - don't you mean they think they will automatically get enough points?

Anyway we will carry on earning our top 4 place...
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool

Not sure how many fans (even some on here :wink: ) think they should be in the top 4 regardless of results - don't you mean they think they will automatically get enough points?

At least one person thinks some of the teams in the top 5 don't belong there.
    It was that attitude that I was addressing.
    Yes. You, Manc33. And I have heard it from others away from this forum.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    As a Chelsea fan who has experienced many a grim season, relegations, near extinction, property developing vultures hovering over the ground and so on, rest assured there will never be any sense of entitlement from me. And that would go for any Chelsea fan who had to live through those dark days. We love where we are at now and do realise how fortunate we are to have such a wealthy owner who does genuinely love the club, and not some rich man who'd soon get bored with his 'plaything' as some hoped.

Growing up having to watch the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd dominate the league I always said if I could see Chelsea win it just once in my lifetime I'd die satisfied. Well it's gone beyond my wildest dreams success wise but entitlement? Never!
  • pblakeney
    Growing up having to watch the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd dominate the league I always said if I could see Chelsea win it just once in my lifetime I'd die satisfied. Well it's gone beyond my wildest dreams success wise but entitlement? Never!
    Not for you. And I applaud that.
    There will be older generations of Man U supporters that could say the same, but the new generations have been spoiled.
    Chelsea and Man City are too new for this, but it will come.
    Arsenal sail too close to the wind to be comfortable but later generations will be gobsmacked if they don't finish top 4.
    Liverpool thought they were back where they belonged towards the end of last season. Oh well.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    I don't feel a sense of entitlement. Just 'How long do I have to wait?"

I hope you are wrong Tim but money does rule over sport.
  • pinno
    What were you saying about Podolski Tim?
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool

I detect bitterness here. Which bunch of losers do you support?
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool

None of them.
    I am surrounded at work by a few embittered by recent seasons not going as they "should".
    So yes, it is personal.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool

None of them.
    I am surrounded at work by a few embittered by recent seasons not going as they "should".
    So yes, it is personal.
    Tough.
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Tough.
    Fair point. Well made.
    I get to laugh my ass off at the end of the season when the crying starts though.
    Most Mondays these days, actually. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Congratulations to FC Basel.

Congratulations in advance to Roma for tomorrow's game against Man City in Italy.

Congratulations to Real Madrid for getting all 18 points with Liverpool and Basel in the group, so rare to see anyone win all six games.

Congratulations to Arsenal for winning comfortably in a hostile stadium, also for getting so many points and comfortably going through.

Chelsea don't get any congratulations.

"But they're through already!"

I don't/can't care.
  • Stevo_666
    Manc33 wrote:

Congratulations in advance to Roma for tomorrow's game against Man City in Italy.

Congratulations to Real Madrid for getting all 18 points with Liverpool and Basel in the group, so rare to see anyone win all six games.

Congratulations to Arsenal for winning comfortably in a hostile stadium, also for getting so many points and comfortably going through.

I don't/can't care.
    I would congratulate Manure if they were actually in the competition :wink:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

I don't/can't care.
    I would congratulate Manure if they were actually in the competition :wink:

:( Liverpool have as much firepower as a potatoe gun that's broken
  • 167748j.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Liverpool have as much firepower as a potatoe gun that's broken
    I'm looking forward to watching a spot of pub football when you play Man U on Sunday...
  • I'm still amazed Liverpool replaced one of the most dynamic forwards in the world (Suarez) with two who don't move (Mario and Lambert). Fuck knows who signed those transfers off.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015