The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Abramovic just might get popped by some other Oligarch now that the Ruskies are in a little bit of trouble (with any luck) and you lot will be back in the Championship quicker than Moussa Sissoko with a dose of the runs.
    Or you could try beating us at football :twisted:

He'd go out and buy Messi and Ronaldo if Arsenal beat Chelski.
    Looks like he won't be buying Messi or Ronaldo then :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I would just like to say, well done to the referee for allowing "play on" for Newscastle's second goal. Could easily have blown for the foul. :-)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I think he should have blown for full time sooner, ideally in the 55th minute! :(
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    That'll do :D

Just need Saints to turnover the Scum to make it a Carlsberg weekend :mrgreen:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    City Boy wrote:
    That'll do :D

Just need Saints to turnover the Scum to make it a Carlsberg weekend :mrgreen:

The only consolation is the 3 point gap in an altogether miserable weekend and another dire performance by the @rse lead by the @rsene.
    Was the real Arsene Wenger kidnapped 9 years ago and an inept doppelgänger put in his place?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    No, they just don't have Dennis Bergkamp anymore.
  • city_boy
    The only consolation is the 3 point gap in an altogether miserable weekend and another dire performance by the @rse lead by the @rsene.
    Was the real Arsene Wenger kidnapped 9 years ago and an inept doppelgänger put in his place?

I take it you don't share Wenger's optimism that they're going to win the title in the next three years?
  • Stevo_666
    I suppose it had to happen sometime - although it's quite a consolation to be able to say we had a crap weekend but are still 3 points clear at the top :)

City must be hoping that Aguero's injury isn't too bad, otherwise we'll have send Fernando over on loan to add to the Chelsea rejects that are propping City's attack up these days :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    City Boy wrote:

I take it you don't share Wenger's optimism that they're going to win the title in the next three years?

Nope. Chelsea and City will always be strong, MU (unfortunately) will be back in the mix soonish - Arsenal under Wenger cannot defend against these 3 consistently. Teams now know how to play against Arsenal. Before, they had a rough idea but could not and now they know exactly what to do.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Arsenal just cant play the same back 4 on a consistent basis.

Ideal would be Debuchey Mertesacker Koscielney Gibbs. with Chambers and Monreal as cover.

At anytime this season 3 of that six have been Injured. Chambers is in his first full season with the club and playing out of position, he's picked up more cards than the most popular girl in school at Christmas.

Its nothing new to learn that Wengers decision to pack his team with attacking midfielders, has left us woefully exposed in defence by any team that can absorb our forward play and then just hit us on the break.

Mertesacker only plays well with someone with pace who can cover him. And those players we do use as cover are normally full backs who cant play centre back. Which is surprising that he always uses Chambers as a fullback to take advantage of his tendency to get forward.

The mix and balance at Arsenal is all wrong. We need at least another Central Defender and a defensive Midfielder but I still get the feeling that all we will do is get a vertically challenged Swedish midfielder with a spinal injury.

Still at least Henry is available on a Free!!!!!!!!

I would off load, Ozil, Podolski, Rosicky and Joel Campbell and get in two world class players at Centre Back and Defensive midfielder. I cant see any players of that calibre wanting to join the club at the moment though.

I ve also got a horrible feeling Wenger is going to buy Chris Smalling, the thought of which really scares me.
  • pinno
    There are plenty of teams who don't have the calibre of players at the back that Arsenal do and defend well. Isn't it more about discipline, shape and leadership.
    FWIW, I don't think Podolski has seen enough 1st team football. I actually think he is better than Giroud.
  • tim_wand
    In one sense I agree, Podolski is a far better finisher than Giroud. But Wenger will never play him as an out and out centre forward, he's another one he sees as a forward attacking from the flanks, and in that position we have better options.

He sees Giroud as target man, and in that role he is effective, in winning and holding the ball up whilst one of the seven dwarves attempts to run on to it. This seems to be Wengers main tactic and there is never a plan B.

Podolski's finishing is awesome, I am sure his goal to strike rate must be up there with the best. but Wenger does not seem prepared to play him in a role or system that suits his strengths.

Hopefully hell give him a full run out against Galatasary in midweek and he'll get to prove a point, although I think for both player and manager it will be a shop window for sale in January. ( Girouds return from Injury, Welbecks fragility and Walcotts slow recovery however might keep him with us.)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    There are plenty of teams who don't have the calibre of players at the back that Arsenal do and defend well. Isn't it more about discipline, shape and leadership.
    FWIW, I don't think Podolski has seen enough 1st team football. I actually think he is better than Giroud.
    Wenger always plays Podolski out of position. Another of his failings, playing people out of position.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I suppose it had to happen sometime - although it's quite a consolation to be able to say we had a crap weekend but are still 3 points clear at the top :)

I admire the glass half full approach. Much better than focusing on the fact that the world's most entertaining football team have managed to have an 8 point lead reduced by FIVE in the space of just a week :shock:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City must be hoping that Aguero's injury isn't too bad, otherwise we'll have send Fernando over on loan to add to the Chelsea rejects that are propping City's attack up these days :wink:

Losing Aguero would certainly be a blow given the form he is in at the moment. But we won the league last season without him for big chunks and we should have Silva and Kompany back soon, so perhaps not all doom and gloom?
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    I admire the glass half full approach.
    I guess the glass half full approach is something City fans are well used to this season :wink:
    City Boy wrote:
    Losing Aguero would certainly be a blow given the form he is in at the moment.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2864230/Sergio-Aguero-s-injury-mean-weekend-Chelsea-wrapped-Premier-League-title.html
    Still not interested in Fernando? :twisted:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well if the Daily Fail says so then it must be true :roll:
    TBF according to Paddy Power, Chelsea won the title two weeks ago! But I seem to recall Yoonited winning it with 6 games to go (ironically with an 8 point lead :oops: ) in 2012 and Liverpool celebrating their triumph in April last season :twisted:

But, just to prove I'm a sporting chap, let me be the first to congratulate you on winning this season's Premier League. Well done :wink:
  • Manc33
    Man City having to rely on a penalty to get a goal against Everton then Joe Hart pulling off one of the saves of the season to deny Everton the draw towards the end... City were lucky to win that one and it could have just as easily been 1-0 the other way.

Can't wait for Man United to knock Southampton firmly off their pedestal. I am sticking with my 1-4 prediction.
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well if the Daily Fail says so then it must be true :roll:
    TBF according to Paddy Power, Chelsea won the title two weeks ago! But I seem to recall Yoonited winning it with 6 games to go (ironically with an 8 point lead :oops: ) in 2012 and Liverpool celebrating their triumph in April last season :twisted:

But, just to prove I'm a sporting chap, let me be the first to congratulate you on winning this season's Premier League. Well done :wink:
    I'm just telling you what other people are thinking, given that Aguero has got you out of trouble pretty much single-handedly on several occasions lately - like the Bayern game, the QPR game etc etc. And he is rather fragile:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/07/sergio-aguero-injury-problems-manchester-city
    So will be interesting to see how you cope without him for a while :wink:
  • tim_wand
    Stevo, I think Fat Frank is going to step up and win the title for them. Lets face it these old Chelsea rejects are doing alright at the moment , even Drogbas scoring some goals in the absence of a fragile latin South American striker.
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo, I think Fat Frank is going to step up and win the title for them. Lets face it these old Chelsea rejects are doing alright at the moment...

Wouldn't that be ironic? :D
  • Stevo_666
    @Tim and Pinno: I think you shouldn't be worrying about who is going to win the League this season as it's got nothing to do with Arsenal :wink:
  • tim_wand
    What do you mean its got nothing to do with Arsenal? Our liberal distribution of 6 points for all the " top teams" every season usually has some influence on it :D
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    What do you mean its got nothing to do with Arsenal? Our liberal distribution of 6 points for all the " top teams" every season usually has some influence on it :D
    Good point :D But if you dish them out to everyone it kind of evens things out a bit...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I'd prefer it if they didn't give 6 points to each of them! Arsenal fans aren't really bothered about where the title is going anyway, they have other things to worry about. Arsenal TV, always good for a laugh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B5wE-Ybr14A
  • Manc33
    Fat Frank :lol:

I thought Drogba had retired for some reason, before I saw him playing for Chelski last game. :x
  • Stevo_666
    Manc33 wrote:
    Fat Frank :lol:

I thought Drogba had retired for some reason, before I saw him playing for Chelski last game. :x
    Drogba went out on a high after Chelsea won the Champions League in 2012 (are you paying attention City Boy? :wink: ), but Mourinho decided he needed a big bruiser of a striker to fill in for Costa when needed so called him back in. Working quite well so far...
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Drogba went out on a high after Chelsea's anti-football fluked them the Champions League in 2012 (are you paying attention City Boy? :wink: ), but Mourinho decided he needed a big bruiser of a striker to fill in for Costa when needed so called him back in. Working quite well so far...

FTFY :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Drogba went out on a high after Chelsea's anti-football fluked them the Champions League in 2012 (are you paying attention City Boy? :wink: ), but Mourinho decided he needed a big bruiser of a striker to fill in for Costa when needed so called him back in. Working quite well so far...

My history is a bit iffy, so can you remind me when City last won the Champions league? :mrgreen:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

My history is a bit iffy, so can you remind me when City last won the Champions league? :mrgreen:

They haven't. And your point is.....?
    (Bearing in mind this is the Premier League thread!)
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

They haven't. And your point is.....?
    (Bearing in mind this is the Premier League thread!)
    I'll revive the CL thread if you want :) But how can a club claim to be a big club if it has never won the Champions League? Poor little City :P