The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    If this is what happens when I support The Ar$e I'd better stop :wink:

Starting feel like that myself Stevo. Didn't think I d join the chorus of Wenger out, but its time for a change , I Can predict our seasons before they start and I m not sure that the habitual struggle for fourth will be a success this year.
    You could be right Tim. I think they have to do something as Wenger keeps getting turned over by the other big teams and never seems to learn. At least you're doing better than Liverpool...

Kicking us whilst we are down :(
  • That appears to be Crystal Palace's job.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    Didn't think you'd be on this thread for a while, so I was trying to cheer up some unhappy Gooners :oops:

Just seen the score...at least you're doing better than QPR :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    That appears to be Crystal Palace's job.

It's a testing time to be a fan :(
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    That appears to be Crystal Palace's job.

It's a testing time to be a fan :(
    Join The Dark (Blue) Side....

Then weekends can be fun again :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Wenger has produced a squad consisting of very talented players and he still wants to play his style and his tactics regardless of the opposition.
    I firmly believe that he think he can produce a complete and flawless team with flawless passes and flawless football, again regardless of who they play. Which is ostensibly, cloud cuckoo land.
    I think Wenger should be head coach to enhance and produce the talent and someone else should be manager.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Wenger has produced a squad consisting of very talented players and he still wants to play his style and his tactics regardless of the opposition.
    I firmly believe that he think he can produce a complete and flawless team with flawless passes and flawless football, again regardless of who they play. Which is ostensibly, cloud cuckoo land.
    I think Wenger should be head coach to enhance and produce the talent and someone else should be manager.

For the first time ever following Yesterdays game I now believe it is time for Wenger to step aside. 18 years at Arsenal and his whole ethos and philosophy permeates the club. For the majority of this 18 years that has been for the positive and I ve enjoyed the mantle of being the team in the Premiership which most neutrals will admit , when its right play the most attractive football in the league.( However moving him into any position than possibly on the board at Arsenal will just mean that influence will continue and stifle any possible influence a replacement could make.)

I just cant consolidate our results against the so called top teams. Chelsea will be accused of going away from home and parking the bus against the top teams. So what Jose has been back one season and in that time has created a team that no one so far this season in the premiership can lay a glove on.

There's a lot in what Pina says, Wenger's fixation with Playing attacking midfielders and buying every short arse pacey wide player in Europe and trying to turn them into Centre Forwards is just not funny anymore.

Why oh Why haven't we bought a Defensive midfielder or a decent Centre Back , the addition of Khederia and Hummels to our squad , would have put us up there this season I m sure. And must be done in January.

By which time well be chasing the top four by about a dozen points back and looking at playing Real Madrid/ Barcelona or Bayern in the next round of the CL if we are lucky.

Sanchez must be looking around thinking what the hell have I joined here. Current form is hardly going to encourage any one with any aspirations of winning anything to join us in the transfer window.
  • Jurgen Klopp's current troubles at Dortmund could be Arsenal's gain but sadly BD's CL form (ironically enough) will keep him in a job until the end of the season when it'll be too late.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Stevo_666
    @Tim - trying to be objective about this I'd say the same - you need new management blood. That sort of tactical and defensive naivety after 18 years in the job is not acceptable. Only after 18 years, it's 'old dogs and new tricks' - he's unlikely to change now.

@type:epyt - funny, Klopp was who I was thinking of for Arsenal (or Liverpool). Someone who can make the whole more than the sum of the parts. That said, even if Arsenal did get their hand on him half way through this season, the rebuilding process can take longer than half a season - look at Man U and Van Gaal. So I reckon it's already too late for this season, other than for Arsenal to make some sticking plaster January purchases - which knowing Wenger is unlikely.

What you can count on is plenty of other teams carrying on having problems of their own. Apart from Chelsea and Southampton, who can say they've had a good PL season so far?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Golly-Gosh-Gumption.... Self-obsessed opinion-sharer and expert in all matters P Morgan rang the BBC last night to reference a piece he wrote some years ago...

One has to wonder how long some people have been Gooners and what they think the acceptable level of success is.

In 1970 they were one of the top few clubs and (remarkably for the time) they managed a Double. Some extraordinary cup runs (and some very poor ones) thereafter and then a good run under GG, but really they are no more or less than a steady club who look to a top-five finish and a bit of silverware every now and again.

Football now is so biary... Second truly is the first of the losers and money is everything. I'd never heard of Wenger when he arrived - and thought quite well of Rioch. I was hugely and positively surprised by Wenger and still am. In the era of superinflated wages and big-money transfers, he's still in and around the top three and does fairly well in cup competitions.

Somehow, Chelsea and Mank City's financial clout have become the accepted norm and SAF's silverware returns are now the accepted minimum. Wenger will go, probably sooner rather than later, but he has been and still is an excellent manager and coach. The 'Wenger Out' lobby remind me of those poor saps (most of the terrace) calling for Ferguson's head in 1990.
  • pinno
    P Morgan is a twunt but he speaks a little truth there.

The Arsenal squad have huge potential. What Wenger has managed to do, season after season, is hone out quality from players often cheaply (Gael Clichy: £250k) but what I see on the pitch is a team that lacks tactical direction and is far less than the sum of its parts.
    That for me as a gooner fan is the most frustrating aspect. I have no doubts about Wenger's ability to buy, nurture, develop and motivate players but as I say, tactically it is often jaw-droppingly naive.
  • Stevo_666
    Anyway, away from the North London navel gazing, thanks to Villa tonight for helping widen the gap at the top :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    FWIW, I placed a bet on Chelsea winning the league before it started at @ 2/1.

Paddy Power paid out last Friday! Kaching! :P

I am thinking that City will get soundly trounced tonight and implode.

So I put the winnings on a Southampton win on Sunday. Fingers crossed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Fred Done payed out early on Yoonited in 2012, just before City pipped them to the title :lol:

He did the same in 1998 when they were 12 points clear, that time the Gooners beat them to the title!

Let's just hope this paying out early turns out to be something of a curse :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

I fancy us more on Sunday than I did last night. City can't afford to come and defend for a point. It was embarrassing watching Villa play like the teams that used to turn up against us in L1 and the Championship, 10/11 behind the ball and hope for a goal on the break or from a set piece. Of course the argument is that it worked last night (they got the point they wanted).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    City Boy wrote:
    Fred Done payed out early on Yoonited in 2012, just before City pipped them to the title :lol:

He did the same in 1998 when they were 12 points clear, that time the Gooners beat them to the title!

Let's just hope this paying out early turns out to be something of a curse :wink:
    Because I played the original bet, Paddy Power gave me a wee free shot.
    So I covered my original bet with a punt on City.
    I could win twice!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • city_boy
    PBlakeney wrote:

I fancy us more on Sunday than I did last night. City can't afford to come and defend for a point. It was embarrassing watching Villa play like the teams that used to turn up against us in L1 and the Championship, 10/11 behind the ball and hope for a goal on the break or from a set piece. Of course the argument is that it worked last night (they got the point they wanted).

We certainly won't be coming to defend for a point. We struggle to defend fullstop :oops:

Whilst it's hard to know what you're gonna get with City these days, I think we have more of a chance against teams that try to play football (like Southampton) rather than the negative bus parking merchants (like Chelski :wink: ).
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Whilst it's hard to know what you're gonna get with City these days, I think we have more of a chance against teams that try to play football (like Southampton) rather than the negative bus parking merchants (like Chelski :wink: ).
    The fact that we can defend is still a bit of a sore point isn't it :P . Funny how we're so busy parking the bus that we accidentally manage to score 6 more goals than City this season :wink:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    The fact that we can defend is still a bit of a sore point isn't it :P . Funny how we're so busy parking the bus that we accidentally manage to score 6 more goals than City this season :wink:

Only 6??!
    Your playing great and we're playing sh1te and you've only scored 6 more goals!! :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:

Only 6??!
    Your playing great and we're playing sh1te and you've only scored 6 more goals!! :wink:
    Only 6 more, it's really disappointing! The 8 point gap we've opened up over City after just 12 games is worth mentioning as well though :mrgreen:
  • Stevo_666
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Stevo 666 wrote:

He knows it, Pellegrini knows it, even Tony Pulis knows it.
  • pinno
    The only bearable thing about Chelsea at the moment is that it's a whole world of a difference to MU being at the top. The press are pretty quiet too. Years of brown tongueing Fuggle must have given them a sore throat.
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:

They weren't that great to watch when they only just scraped a draw against 10 man City, even with the ref playing for them :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

They weren't that great to watch when they only just scraped a draw against 10 man City, even with the ref playing for them :wink:
    I think you scraped a draw with us due to a goal by a Chelsea reject :)

And how good to watch was that draw you scraped with QPR? :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Maybe it was too early to mention dull draws...but we now need City to up their game tomorrow and snatch a jammy draw with Southampton :wink:
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Maybe it was too early to mention dull draws...but we now need City to up their game tomorrow and snatch a jammy draw with Southampton :wink:

Today's football was mergestic
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Oh well, you win some you draw some.
  • tlw1

As a Liverpool fan the problem this season is no wins or draws :(
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:

As a Liverpool fan the problem this season is no wins or draws :(
    You won yesterday. And kept a clean sheet :shock: