The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    As the comments to that link said a fairly balanced report of the Heysel disaster which is not forgotten about by Liverpool and their fans. If their hand of friendship was too little too late I will not comment on.It will remain a black mark on LFC forever just as the betting allegations will for many of the Italian teams. If History was a reason for teams not playing in tournaments then Millwall would not have a football team, Germany would not play in the World cup and Galatasary would not play in Europe. In all those cases fans of opposing teams were stabbed or beaten to death.
  • yes hillsborough was a cock up of policing crowd management etc, but who were the pissed, aggressive, ticketless fans forcing themselves in?

lots of parties guilty, the point is liverpool wont accept any responsibility and blame it entirely on everyone else.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,375
    yes hillsborough was a fool up of policing crowd management etc, but who were the pissed, aggressive, ticketless fans forcing themselves in?

lots of parties guilty, the point is liverpool wont accept any responsibility and blame it entirely on everyone else.

On that contentious note.

Who gonna win, Chelski or Liverpool or will Morenho pull off another tactical trump?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,574
    Who gonna win, Chelski or Liverpool or will Morenho pull off another tactical trump?
    Given the Chelski injury/suspension list and Mourinho publically prioritising the CL, I actually reckon Liverpool will win on Sunday. If they don't then they've only got themselves to blame...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    If they don't then they've only got themselves to blame...

Agreed, it is definitly in our hands. I'm pleased it happened this way, but it would have been nice to beat their first team instead of their second.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Agreed, it is definitly in our hands. I'm pleased it happened this way, but it would have been nice to beat their first team instead of their second.
    Apparently their second team is worth more than our first team.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Cygnus wrote:
    Apparently their second team cost more than our first team.
    FTFY
  • Cygnus
    bompington wrote:
    Cygnus wrote:
    Apparently their second team cost more than our first team.
    FTFY
    That's what I meant :wink:
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Richard_D wrote:
    Statistically any of the top three could still win but with 3/4 matches to go you would have to favour Liverpool for the other 2 to win they have to perform and Liverpool mess up. Not out of the question but...
    I have no issue if the memory of Hillsborough inspires the team just as previous history inspires many teams. If they win they will deserve it based on the way they finished the season 11 straight wins as of today. If their personal inspiration dates back 25 years that is up to them................

I initially posted tongue firmly in cheek about withdrawing from CL
    I don't give a flying fornication who wins the Premier League (Apart from ABU obviously). As stated, the winner will be the club who deserves it, for footballing reasons, regardless of history.
    If history were to have any bearing, then Liverpool should withdraw from the CL as their fans WERE responsible for what happened. They charged the Juve fans 3 times and people were crushed trying to escape.
    As I said, history has no bearing, the past is gone, so I don't expect any withdrawal.
    In the same way, I can't see any merit in the sentiment that Liverpool deserve to win for 'Hillsborough'
    After all, do Juve deserve to win for 'Heysel'?

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/05/w ... or-heysel/

Bl**dy very well said sir!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Anyhow, let's see. It would be generous of José to gift you lot the title. Chelski have very little chance of winning the league even if they do win on Sunday - hence Mourinho prioritising the CL.

Effectively Chelsea are the 'King makers' as if they do win on Sunday then City will probably beat you on goal difference if they win all thier remaining matches. It would be so gutting for Liverpool if they got pipped by City at the finish line after getting so close to their first title in 20-odd years :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pesky_jones
    It would be painfull yes, but hopefully it's the start of the new Liverpool either way.
  • pesky_jones
    bompington wrote:
    Cygnus wrote:
    their second team cost more than our first team.
    FTFY

If we're getting techincal...
  • Stevo_666
    It would be painfull yes, but hopefully it's the start of the new Liverpool either way.
    You could well be right and in some ways that's good as more competition makes for a good exciting PL season. If you can keep Suarez and strengthen the back line a bit, then you're in business. That vs Chelski with a couple of decent strikers will be a right old ding dong of a match...
  • Cygnus
    Well were back in the CL regardless of the title outcome anyway, and one of the main reasons for Suarez wanting to leave was to play in the CL, so he's got his wish without having to leave the club. The only other reason I could see him wanting to go would be to play for a bigger club like Barcelona, and apparently there's a clause in his contract which I think lets him talk to other clubs if they offer 100M but only if it's a non Premier League club.
  • Stevo_666
    Cygnus wrote:
    Well were back in the CL regardless of the title outcome anyway, and one of the main reasons for Suarez wanting to leave was to play in the CL, so he's got his wish without having to leave the club. The only other reason I could see him wanting to go would be to play for a bigger club like Barcelona, and apparently there's a clause in his contract which I think lets him talk to other clubs if they offer 100M but only if it's a non Premier League club.
    I remember there was some sort of clause but think it was lower than that - Arsenal offered £40,000,001 last year for that reason didn't they? Also there was some debate about what an offer over the minimum meant - seem to remember Liverpool said all it meant was they had to inform him or something like that.

Anyway, welcome to the world of full fixture lists next season...
  • Cygnus
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cygnus wrote:
    I remember there was some sort of clause but think it was lower than that - Arsenal offered £40,000,001 last year for that reason didn't they? Also there was some debate about what an offer over the minimum meant - seem to remember Liverpool said all it meant was they had to inform him or something like that.

Anyway, welcome to the world of full fixture lists next season...
    That was the old contract, he's since signed a new contract.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rpool.html
  • Stevo_666
    Cygnus wrote:
    That was the old contract, he's since signed a new contract.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rpool.html
    Got it. Just need to sort that dodgy defence out then...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    They've no need to worry about a dodgy defence. Not so long as Chris Foy, St. Helens, Lancashire, member of Liverpool County Football Association and Mike Dean of Heswall, Wirral are still doing their stuff. Bent? Well let's just say those guys will never have to pay for a drink again.
  • Cygnus
    They've no need to worry about a dodgy defence. Not so long as Chris Foy, St. Helens, Lancashire, member of Liverpool County Football Association and Mike Dean of Heswall, Wirral are still doing their stuff. Bent? Well let's just say those guys will never have to pay for a drink again.
    Maybe they're making up for all the bent Man U referees? It makes a change anyway.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,375
    Who do we want for the MU job?

I think Ian Holloway should get it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Sounds like Van Gaal has all but signed on the dotted line if the press is to be believed.

They need another Scot - say Paul Lambert?
  • Cygnus
    Man U could struggle over the next couple of years, their fans have very high expectations and the new manager will be expected to get instant results and when that doesn't happen the fans will be baying for his blood, the owners bow to pressure and sack him, a new manager comes in, starts from scratch and is also expected to get instant results, when that doesn't happen he gets sacked and it goes on in a never ending circle until the fans lower their expectations.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Van Gaal has either been an immediate success or terrible failure in his past jobs, though usually a success so I think he will do well. It would only make the PL even more competitive so please make it so. Beating Moyes every year would have got boring.
  • pesky_jones
    :roll: :(
  • Stevo_666
    :roll: :(
    :mrgreen:

It's always good to do the double over some of the wannabes in a season, just to establish the natural order of things :wink:
  • Haven't read the hole thread, but can Arsenal still win the Premier League now?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Haven't read the hole thread, but can Arsenal still win the Premier League now?

No.
  • Motogull wrote:
    Haven't read the hole thread, but can Arsenal still win the Premier League now?

No.

I'm guessing the correct answer is 'maybe in 2015' :lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Good to see Gerrard be the one to feck it up ... Spent the rest of the game trying too hard to make up for the mistake wasting good position/opportunities ...
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Victory for keeping 10 men in the box at all times. I though I saw Schurrle get out a picnic hamper and rug at one point on the Chelsea penalty spot...

We just need to destroy CP and Newcastle now???any chance of bringing that 6-0 against Newcastle into this season?