The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    tim wand wrote:
    But it will be interesting to see if they ever make the move across Stanley Park and how that would effect their current resurgence.
    They are expanding Anfield instead now. The Stanley park costs have been written down (about £50million crazily) and they have started compulsorily purchasing housing around the stadium.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    The best defence in the league total of £30 million
    Petr Cech - £7 million
    Branislav Ivanovic- £9 million
    César Azpilicueta - £7 million
    Gary Cahill- £7 million
    John Terry- nish
    Less Juan Mata selling price - minus £37m

Chelsea defence totally funded by Manure with £7m to spare
    FTFY.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    nathancom wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

As an Arsenal fan , everytime we have been beaten by Man City and Chelsea to honours , I ve always been able to hide behind the cushion that they have just thrown endless amounts of money at the League or ECL

The best defence in the league total of £30 million
    Petr Cech - £7 million
    Branislav Ivanovic- £9 million
    César Azpilicueta - £7 million
    Gary Cahill- £7 million
    John Terry- nish

One Mesut Özil £42.5 million.

It's a case of how you throw your money around I guess! :wink:
    What is your wage structure looking like these days? :)

As long as the silverware keeps coming in then Mr. Abramovich probably thinks it's money well spent. Imagine spending millions and not seeing a single trophy for this long. It is quite a nice stadium though! :wink:
  • nathancom
    At least we can all rejoice in not supporting the scum
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Two points, The best defence wont win the Premiership this season the best attack will
    hence why Chelsea wont, Just how much did Torres cost and how much is Eto paid.

Yes Arsenal are a well financed club, in comparison to many others, But its a Self Sustaining Model and one which has paid for a near £500 million stadium and is still amongst the top 5 richest clubs in the World.

I am genuinely refreshed and encouraged to see how Liverpool have gone about their campaign this season, and will have no argument if they win the Premiership.

As for Manure I wonder if the Glaziers et al are wishing they had have took a real risk and appointed Martinez, seems these ex-Swansea managers aren't bad!!! (Maybe Chelsea will take a punt on Laudrup one day.)
  • cornerblock
    tim wand wrote:
    Two points, The best defence wont win the Premiership this season the best attack will
    hence why Chelsea wont, Just how much did Torres cost and how much is Eto paid.

We'll see Tim, we'll see. As for Torres he cost £50 million and while he has never hit the heights of his Liverpool days he has played a part in winning an FA Cup, Europa Cup and the big one, the European Cup. I make that 3 trophies, 3 more than every player who has represented Arsenal in nearly 9 years!

Samuel Eto'o is on a very nice wage no doubt, but as he came on a free I guess he will still work out cheaper than a lot of players who now have absolutely no chance of winning a League title or a Champions League. He may win neither, he may win both, who knows? If he wins both it'll look like a great deal.

Yes Arsenal are very well run, as a business, but they seem to have forgotten that they are a football club too, one of the biggest clubs in the country and football is about winning. Never seen a open top bus parade for a balance sheet. This is the year though, no way will Hull win the cup eh? :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    nathancom wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    But it will be interesting to see if they ever make the move across Stanley Park and how that would effect their current resurgence.
    They are expanding Anfield instead now. The Stanley park costs have been written down (about £50million crazily) and they have started compulsorily purchasing housing around the stadium.

I didn't think you could CPO for a private project or at least not unless it's for 'public betterment'.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

I didn't think you could CPO for a private project or at least not unless it's for 'public betterment'.
    I was just thinking that as well. Mind you, it'd be a pretty cheap option :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Hopefully they will find some link between Abramovich and the Russian annexing of the eastern Ukraine and freeze all his assets.

That will have more of an effect than the cock waving ineffectiveness William Hague is showing at the moment .
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Being a Chelsea fan there are obviously only three results I want to see at the end of the season: 1. Us as Premiership champions, 2. Us as C/L champions and 3. Moyes keeping his job. Result all round.
    Re: point 3, good to see you're thinking long term :) We need Manure in the Europa next season so they don't have an easy fixture list like certain teams have had this season :wink:
    Good to get your excuses in early. ;) If Liverpool win the premiership it will be a fantastic achievement however you frame it.
    I hope Athletico give your boys a good long tiring exhausting run in the park 4 days before you come to Anfield though!

The only way that it wouldnt be considered a fantastic achievement was if we had recently been bought by a very very wealthy man, before we started winning. That, I wouldnt consider fantastic at all :wink:

Yes it must have been sickening when someone with even more money than Littlewoods and the Moores family came along. :wink:

Haha I see. You missed the word recently however :wink:

Besides, in the period before we were bought we won it a number of times. In the hundred + period before you were bought, you won it...once? :lol:
  • cornerblock
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Being a Chelsea fan there are obviously only three results I want to see at the end of the season: 1. Us as Premiership champions, 2. Us as C/L champions and 3. Moyes keeping his job. Result all round.
    Re: point 3, good to see you're thinking long term :) We need Manure in the Europa next season so they don't have an easy fixture list like certain teams have had this season :wink:
    Good to get your excuses in early. ;) If Liverpool win the premiership it will be a fantastic achievement however you frame it.
    I hope Athletico give your boys a good long tiring exhausting run in the park 4 days before you come to Anfield though!

The only way that it wouldnt be considered a fantastic achievement was if we had recently been bought by a very very wealthy man, before we started winning. That, I wouldnt consider fantastic at all :wink:

Yes it must have been sickening when someone with even more money than Littlewoods and the Moores family came along. :wink:

Besides, in the short period before we were bought we won it a number of times. In the hundred + period before you were bought, you won it...once? :lol:

So that makes the takeover after we started winning then? I know you lot love to talk about history and yes while ours may not have been as successful as others (up till now!) we still have one, our one. Oh and by the way we did win a European trophy before you lot. Still if it makes you happy thinking Chelsea just appeared on the scene when Roman turned up then crack on. Most knowledgeable fans know different. :wink:
  • nathancom
    Didn't know they had plastic in the 19th Century
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Besides, in the short period before we were bought we won it a number of times. In the hundred + period before you were bought, you won it...once? :lol:

So that makes the takeover after we started winning then? I know you lot love to talk about history and yes while ours may not have been as successful as others (up till now!) we still have one, our one. Oh and by the way we did win a European trophy before you lot. Still if it makes you happy thinking Chelsea just appeared on the scene when Roman turned up then crack on. Most knowledgeable fans think different. :wink:

Thanks, will do. Oh and I wouldnt go as far as to call chelsea fans knowledgeable :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    [Thanks, will do. Oh and I wouldnt go as far as to call chelsea fans knowledgeable :wink:
    If the full version of the 'Liverpool Slums' song is anything to go by, Liverpool fans aren't all Mensa members either :) That said, can anyone point to a football club where the fans are mostly intelligent and educated? (Kinda like the Enfield and Whitehouse 'posh scaffolders')
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    [Thanks, will do. Oh and I wouldnt go as far as to call chelsea fans knowledgeable :wink:
    If the full version of the 'Liverpool Slums' song is anything to go by, Liverpool fans aren't all Mensa members either :) That said, can anyone point to a football club where the fans are mostly intelligent and educated? (Kinda like the Enfield and Whitehouse 'posh scaffolders')
    Well, judging by this thread... :twisted:
  • Stevo_666
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Well, judging by this thread... :twisted:
    I think I already know the answer :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    3-1 up at 78 mins. Wahey.

Get 4th. Wenger retires and Martinez takes the job. That's the deal they should fix under the table.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666

Get 4th. Wenger retires and Martinez takes the job. That's the deal they should fix under the table.
    Do you reckon Martinez would want the job though? Doing bl00dy well at Everton.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:

He would go even farther if he had the squad at Arsenal.

Where tf have you been? Did auntie V send you a love letter?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

He would go even farther if he had the squad at Arsenal.

Where tf have you been? Did auntie V send you a love letter?
    The first point's debatable - anyhow at Everton he's not expected to win anything so it's a bonus if he does and he doesn't need to do a José and continually claim that he won't win anything.

I've been around here on and off most of the day, but not been posting like it's going out of fashion - tax doesn't just save itself you know :wink:
  • nathancom
    Here's hoping Moyes keeps his job another season with no CL and spending like this will surely see ManU go down the pan:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/15/manchester-united-offering-toni-kroos-260000-a-week
  • Stevo_666
    nathancom wrote:
    Here's hoping Moyes keeps his job another season with no CL and spending like this will surely see ManU go down the pan:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/15/manchester-united-offering-toni-kroos-260000-a-week
    But we do want them in the Europa League so they get tired as well :)
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

They play a lot more fixtures in the Championship. 24 teams, League cup, FA Cup, play offs etc...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

They play a lot more fixtures in the Championship. 24 teams, League cup, FA Cup, play offs etc...
    OK, well as tired as the teams that are good enough to make the CL and a fair way into the knock outs.
  • Stevo_666
    Interesting stuff tonight. Have City just blown it? 2-2 draw with Sunderland. Chelski v Scousers could be the title decider now. Good day for the Ar$e as well by the look of things - may just squeak into that last CL place if they don't choke again.
  • pinno
    No league win for City this year.

The goals for and goals against is interesting. Liverpool have simply scored more goals than the opposition. Nice tactic if you have the firepower but imagine how strong they would be on a Continental level if they could reduce it to say Chelski's 24 ?
  • Stevo_666
    No league win for City this year.

The goals for and goals against is interesting. Liverpool have simply scored more goals than the opposition. Nice tactic if you have the firepower but imagine how strong they would be on a Continental level if they could reduce it to say Chelski's 24 ?
    Yep, Liverpool with a decent defence is a scary proposition...
  • cornerblock
    Not as scary as Chelsea with a couple of prolific strikers, in my rather biased opinion.
  • nathancom
    Not as scary as Chelsea with a couple of prolific strikers, in my rather biased opinion.
    Mourinho has never really set his teams up to play devastating football though.

You will definitely be among the top 4 European teams with 2 good strikers but I don't see him creating a 'memorable' football team ever. Rodgers on the other hand has potential, but can he build a defence or is he just a superior version of Keegan?