The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,747
    nathancom wrote:
    Victory for keeping 10 men in the box at all times. I though I saw Schurrle get out a picnic hamper and rug at one point on the Chelsea penalty spot...

We just need to destroy CP and Newcastle now???any chance of bringing that 6-0 against Newcastle into this season?
    Played for and won - whatever you say about the way it was played, it was effective. Rodgers was doing the old 'we played better but lost' routine in the post match interview :roll: . I was only listening to it on the radio in the car so will have to enjoy MOTD later on.

You had better hope City slip up as after this they only have Everton away and Villa & West Ham at home. Everton are probably the best bet to upset City, so it depends on whether they bounce back after the last 2 defeats or keep on choking. Realistically Liverpool don't have much chance of making up an 8 point goal difference against the team with the best GD in the league.

Now if Liverpool and City slip up...we've only got to do Norwich at home and Cardiff away.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Victory for keeping 10 men in the box at all times. I though I saw Schurrle get out a picnic hamper and rug at one point on the Chelsea penalty spot...

We just need to destroy CP and Newcastle now???any chance of bringing that 6-0 against Newcastle into this season?
    Played for and won - whatever you say about the way it was played, it was effective. Rodgers was doing the old 'we played better but lost' routine in the post match interview :roll: . I was only listening to it on the radio in the car so will have to enjoy MOTD later on.

You had better hope City slip up as after this they only have Everton away and Villa & West Ham at home. Everton are probably the best bet to upset City, so it depends on whether they bounce back after the last 2 defeats or keep on choking. Realistically Liverpool don't have much chance of making up an 8 point goal difference against the team with the best GD in the league.

Now if Liverpool and City slip up...we've only got to do Norwich at home and Cardiff away.
    It is effective if you don't like football. They honestly had the whole team in the penalty box for most the second half. Rodgers threw everything he had onto the pitch when he replace Flanagan with Aspas (he was terrible) leading to the 2nd goal right in injury time.

Forgive my sour grapes...I wouldn't be surprised if Everton can hold ManC. Anyway a great season all round!
  • Slightly off topic, but did Brenton take that portrait of himself when he left the marital home?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I'm pretty sure defending is still a part of football. Not Chelsea's problem if the home team are not good enough to break them down. Yes it's frustrating when your team are not good enough to unlock a well organised team, I sympathise :wink:, it's happened quite a few times to us this season.

oeHbGyM.gif%20#
  • Stevo_666
    I'm pretty sure defending is still a part of football. Not Chelsea's problem if the home team are not good enough to break them down. Yes it's frustrating when your team are not good enough to unlock a well organised team, I sympathise :wink:, it's happened quite a few times to us this season.

oeHbGyM.gif%20#
    Excellent :lol:

The Scousers have gone very quiet for now haven't they :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Despite every man and his dog pronouncing this as one of the best seasons ever, I watched Liverpool - Chelsea yearning for a bygone era.

I am sure Jose is a really nice chap to enjoy a red wine with (as all football managers seem to drink that), he just comes across as an utter tool, a terrible winner and a worse loser.
  • 1006097_632887113459388_2244681307234895500_n.jpg
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not much to say really, we know how you played, you know how you played, pointless arguing it. Its nice to see you play us how you play the likes of athletico madrid, barcelona etc however
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not much to say really, we know how you played, you know how you played, pointless arguing it. Its nice to see you play us how you play the likes of athletico madrid, barcelona etc however
    Whatever it takes to win...Mourinho has a simple philosophy. No point playing beautiful footy if you lose.
  • cornerblock
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well we've played you twice and beat you both times, once taking the game to you and on Sunday playing a counter attacking game that Liverpool had no answer to. Does make me smile listening to the sour grape comments coming from a lot of Liverpool people, a club who themselves have not been averse over the years to stifling a game when it's needed. Blimey in Liverpool's heyday they were renowned for the amount of times that they'd pass the ball back to Clemence once they had got their noses in front. In fact it was because of teams such as Liverpool and the 'Hansen, Clemence, to Lawrenson back to Clemence' borefest that the backpass rule was brought in. What is strange is that a team that are accused of being really negative and not coming to play managed to score twice!

If you need to question anything it's the strange tactics of Brendan. I think Liverpool were brought down by their own ego and deluded belief that they were going to just blitz Chelsea like they had Arsenal and other sides this season. What they failed to remember is that this is a Chelsea side and manager that have a bit more about them that most of the teams they have played this season. Why were Liverpool so eager to go for it in a game that they really didn't need to win? Crazy! No good being angry or frustrated with the tactics of the opposition, you have to ask why Brendan had no plan B when plan A was obviously not working. Why when Gerrard miss controlled the ball and then slipped was there no centre back behind him? Unbelievably naive tactics and very foolish to think that you could play that gung-ho against a side as good as Chelsea and not be punished.

You're right on one thing, it's pointless arguing it. Instead listen to Jamie Carragher who sums it up perfectly, one of the few Liverpool people to show a bit of dignity after the defeat. Proving himself to be a great pundit.
  • nathancom
    Chelsea are so good that they don't need to win the league. Beating Liverpool is as good as a trophy for them.
  • Stevo_666
    nathancom wrote:
    Chelsea are so good that they don't need to win the league. Beating Liverpool is as good as a trophy for them.
    That's 2 pieces of silverware for Chelsea this season then :wink:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,888
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    That's 2 pieces of silverware for Chelsea this season then :wink:

True - you were always going to play with a bus in front of the defence, but a draw would have been ok for us, so we should have played the same tactic
  • pesky_jones
    Woah. That's fair enough and well said tbh. One little thing however - you write two huge paragraphs about it...
    Well we've played you twice and beat you both times, once taking the game to you and on Sunday playing a counter attacking game that Liverpool had no answer to. Does make me smile listening to the sour grape comments coming from a lot of Liverpool people, a club who themselves have not been averse over the years to stifling a game when it's needed. Blimey in Liverpool's heyday they were renowned for the amount of times that they'd pass the ball back to Clemence once they had got their noses in front. In fact it was because of teams such as Liverpool and the 'Hansen, Clemence, to Lawrenson back to Clemence' borefest that the backpass rule was brought in. What is strange is that a team that are accused of being really negative and not coming to play managed to score twice!

If you need to question anything it's the strange tactics of Brendan. I think Liverpool were brought down by their own ego and deluded belief that they were going to just blitz Chelsea like they had Arsenal and other sides this season. What they failed to remember is that this is a Chelsea side and manager that have a bit more about them that most of the teams they have played this season. Why were Liverpool so eager to go for it in a game that they really didn't need to win? Crazy! No good being angry or frustrated with the tactics of the opposition, you have to ask why Brendan had no plan B when plan A was obviously not working. Why when Gerrard miss controlled the ball and then slipped was there no centre back behind him? Unbelievably naive tactics and very foolish to think that you could play that gung-ho against a side as good as Chelsea and not be punished.

And then say this? haha
    You're right on one thing, it's pointless arguing it.

So what you've said...is pointless, yes? :D
  • cornerblock
    Oh I wasn't arguing, I was.............erm debating! :wink:
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Two points:

1. Chelsea's performance is being hailed as a tactical masterpiece but if Gerrard doesnt slip, they go in at 0-0 at half time. It's a different game in teh second half then. Chelsea had to win, Liverpool didnt. If Liverpool didnt have to chase the game then Chelsea would need to look to create more chances and would leave themselves more open. At the death, it would be Chelsea taking off a full back for a striker not the other way round.
    2. Liverpool were in the position they were in because Chelsea and City have been bleeding points in the last few months against second rate opposition. Chelsea struggle against lesser sides because they dont really have much of a Plan B when they are chasing games.
  • cornerblock
    No Chelsea have struggled at times against lesser teams because the lacklustre strikers have missed chance after chance. Put Suarez in this Chelsea side and the title would have been decided weeks ago. Take the 0-0 at home to West Ham as an example Chelsea had 39 shots (including blocked shots) - the most by any team who failed to score in the Premier League since 2003-04!

Anyway what I say is pretty much like your 'if Gerrard doesn't slip' (I think you'll find he actually miscontrolled the ball then slipped, but hey!) comment, if ifs and ands were pots and pans........................
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,463
    Weren't Chelski stuffed? He he he ha ha ha ho ho ho he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho ha ha ha...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ngbbs4fe638333210f.jpg
  • nathancom
    Must bite tongue
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Did they run out of buses or something?
  • cornerblock
    Oh well you can't win them all, no complaints. Congratulations to Athletico Madrid, the best team won. And a very good side they are too, that Courtois looked very good, only wish we had someone like him. :wink: It should be a great final.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    bompington wrote:
    :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    bompington wrote:

They had an accident because the Hazard warning lights weren't working properly.
  • cornerblock
    johnfinch wrote:
    bompington wrote:

They had an accident because the Hazard warning lights weren't working properly. :oops:

There you go, that's better.
  • pesky_jones
    johnfinch wrote:
    bompington wrote:

They had an accident because the Hazard warning lights weren't working properly.
    :D
  • nathancom
    You wait all day then two come at once then nothing for another hour.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,463
    edited May 2014
    nathancom wrote:
    You wait all day then two come at once then nothing for another hour.

Which lamp post are you waiting beside? Use more lippy hun.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    I still think we(liverpool) can do it, Everton have been very good this year and Citys record at Goodison isn't the best to we can hope, still I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle snap out of their poor run of form to take points off us on last day of season that would be typical
  • Stevo_666
    I still think we(liverpool) can do it, Everton have been very good this year and Citys record at Goodison isn't the best to we can hope, still I wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle snap out of their poor run of form to take points off us on last day of season that would be typical
    Haway the lads :wink: