The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Pinno wrote:
    Well that was a surprise. Can we have 3 world class defenders, a world class striker and 2 ball winning midfielders with presence please?
    Rosicky and Arteta are going. Walcott can f*ck off unless he actually agrees to playing out wide. Giroud can go, Mertesacker can go...

No We can have a 5 foot nothing flamboyant midfielder who's had a good game in the French League 2 but went to the same academy as Mahrez, but we ve got to play him out wide until he gets injured!

Pah ! Pinno what do you know , the mighty Arsene has guided us to second and only a slightly embarrassing collapse against the mighty Barca, this year, With the additions he will consider and not buy in Summer we will dominate Europe and be invincibles again, Either that or We ll finish above Totteringham.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    There is no guarantee that Terry will even accept the offer of an extra year, probably at a drastically reduced wage. I get the feeling that this decision is as much to placate the fans before Sunday. The rumblings of discontent were growing from fans as to why there had been no decision on his future and now the club have put the ball firmly back in JT's court after he came out earlier in the season and announced this would be his final season as the club had made him no offer.

His going public on the matter I believe annoyed people at the club who maybe felt that JT was being hasty in his statement and merely doing so to gain as much sympathy from the fans. I'll be treating the game on Sunday as his farewell as I think if he gets a ridiculous offer from China or the US for a couple of years he'd be crazy to turn it down. And he knows and we know that even if he does hang around for another year his first team chances will be limited. All good things come to an end.

As for Chelsea holding onto players too long. Eh? Who? Ashley Cole? CL winner. Didier Drogba CL winner and yet another Premiership title. Frank Lampard? Another one who won a CL in the 'twighlight' of his Chelsea career. No we didn't keep them too long, we got the most from them. FYI Lostboysaint we have a policy of only offering players over 30 I believe one year deals. I'd love to think that some of this current mob would hang around long enough to do something similar but there's no chance. More's the pity.

Ashley Cole did two seasons after the CL success, when it was obvious to anyone who wasn't in blue that he wasn't cutting it and that Bertrand was ideal to drop in to the spot - especially having looked after him so well during the CL final - but was sent out on loan to let the old man continue his inexorable decline.

Drogba scored four PL goals in his triumphant return season.

Would you like me to tell you some more about your own team and how they don't hang onto the past or shall we leave it there? Or would you just like to dream about how if you'd only developed a facility like the Milan Lab and could dope them all up for a few years you could have them all still playing and winning everything whilst the youth and transfer policies create nothing?

I'm more than aware of the "year only" deal policy - the problem is that you keep offering it to players who don't need it.

You keep clinging onto the past and insisting, media-like, that experience and the cliches - "the legs may not be there but he reads it so well" and other such nonsense - and you can prepare yourself for a long time in the wilderness. The saving grace for you is that your owner has historically not been quite so willing to accept the cult of celebrity and will just throw another few hundred million at sorting the problem. Not great news for the academy or the loan players though ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,789
    Bitter rant
    I never really appreciated what a chip you have on your shoulder about Chelsea until now. Want some ketchup to go with it? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,135
    A jolly good read which will nark some Chelsea supporters
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited May 2016
    What a load of drivel. Yes Ashley Cole did stay for two more seasons after becoming a CL winner. In one of those seasons he picked up yet another medal and trophy, the UEFA Cup (not the forerunner to the CL as some probably think. :lol: ) Not a bad trophy to add to the vast list of honours in his final full season. Actually in his final season he did lose his place in the team and was sold at the end of his one year deal. Where's the problem? Had a fantastic career, won the lot and was moved on when he'd lost his place and wasn't getting it back. You may not like the way Chelsea do things, couldn't give a f***, however for all the criticisms about the way they do things the trophy haul in the past 10 years or so has been magnificent.

And while you may like to believe that Abramovich will just chuck another £100m at it the fact of the matter is of late he has been very cagey with his money. Djilobodji! Miazga! Hector! Pato (loan), Falcao (loan) are hardly marquee signings ffs! I'd love to see less of these poxy signings and more of our talented youngsters given a chance. There are clubs who have spent far more than us in the past few seasons, strange how their spending never seems to bother some as much as Chelsea doing so.

Hopefully after the first fruitless season in a while and a new man at the helm we may see a change of policy with less of these pointless signings. Personally I'd forego another season without a trophy if it meant blooding some of the amazing crop of homegrown we have. Whether those at the top feel the same, hmmm? Chelsea are not unique amongst the top clubs who are caught between demanding success yet not giving enough opportunities to their own youth. If clubs can go out and buy a ready made player then more times than not that is what they'll do, more so now than ever with the vast amounts of money available to all the Premier League clubs.

As for you telling me about my club! :lol: If your intention was to sound smug and condescending then congratulations.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Says the supporter of a team whose main achievement this season is winning the imaginary North London bragging rights trophy :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tim_wand
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Says the supporter of a team whose main achievement this season is winning the imaginary North London bragging rights trophy :)

Says the supporter of the London team that finished lowest in the prem this year
  • cornerblock
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Says the supporter of the London team that finished lowest in the prem this year

Says the supporter of a London team who does not know Crystal Palace is also a London team.
  • tim_wand
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Says the supporter of a London team who does not know Crystal Palace is also a London team.

Got me there, Just didn't realise you finished above them, Still if they win the cup final, I ll expect to see JT in their strip at Wembley :D . Palace, You finished above Palace!!!! What great season you had :P
  • pinno
    What...
    As for you telling me about my club! :lol: If you're intention was to sound smug and condescending then congratulations.

Unlike you then? How about chucking in a wink just to add to it? :wink:

10th. That's pants... and I bet you still have that poster of Mourinho on the wall.
  • cornerblock
    tim wand wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Got me there, Just didn't realise you finished above them, Still if they win the cup final, I ll expect to see JT in their strip at Wembley :D . Palace, You finished above Palace!!!! What great season you had :P

Certainly did! Always best to check the facts first Tim. I'll take one season of winning nothing over your mobs past decade. In fact if we were to never win anything again I'd still feel privileged to have won everything we have. And I mean everything! It's a small select group.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,216
    Foxes are still top :D

And I've got some in my garden.
  • tim_wand
    Suppose A decades a long time in Football. Especially if your a Chelski fan, Its all the History you JCL's have!
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

We know we've had a crap season when Arsenal win as many trophies as we do :D
  • tim_wand
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

We know we've had a crap season when Arsenal win as many trophies as we do :D

Stevo . You forgetting your Favourite. The Women's F.A Cup! Still we spent about as much on Players this year as you did on Law Suits :D
  • cornerblock
    tim wand wrote:
    Suppose A decades a long time in Football. Especially if your a Chelski fan, Its all the History you JCL's have!

Now now Tim you're old enough to know better.
  • tim_wand
    tim wand wrote:

Really , Really , looking forward to Next Season, Hope Everyone is Competitive, The Money and The Managers coming into the League. Plus the X Factor or achievements like Leicester's should make it one hell of a season. Lets hope and genuinely good Luck to Everyone.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    tim wand wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

Really , Really , looking forward to Next Season, Hope Everyone is Competitive, The Money and The Managers coming into the League. Plus the X Factor or achievements like Leicester's should make it one hell of a season. Lets hope and genuinely good Luck to Everyone.

Not Man U obviously. :wink:
  • tim_wand
    Not Man U obviously. :wink:

Too bloody right everyone but them. Any way Ballys you glory hunter! Fancy having a Fox as your avatar. Next thing you know you ll be claiming your not a JCL and He's been around since the 70'S Boom! Boom! ( Sorry shouldn't have done that! they ve cancelled the Manure Game Again )
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I know they are in the final tonight and could get Champions league next year but is Jurgen Klopp really doing that well at Liverpool? It is their joint lowest league position and 2nd lowest points total for over 10 years. If they lose tonight I don't think this season can be classed as successful.

We'll see what he does when he gets to spend some money I guess.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I've probably seen more Liverpool games than any other team in the last few months due to them being on BT Sport a fair bit which I subscribe to so as a neutral I have to say he's definitely doing something right there. They've had some decent results and played much better football than the first half of the season..he seems to be getting the players to raise their game beyond what you'd think is possible. I feel Rodgers really had lost his way there and once Klopp has a squad that's more to his liking then they could only get better in my opinion. There is no way they'd be in this final with Rodgers still at the helm.
  • Stevo_666
    Yay, JT has signed up for another year. So we can sing 'He's won more than you' to the visiting teams again :)
  • tim_wand
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yay, JT has signed up for another year. So we can sing 'He's won more than you' to the visiting teams again :)

I don't know what has given me greater delight today! Knowing I can have another season of Hate of the JT, Or watching the Mug Mashers ( Kindest moniker I could dare put ) Cos they are all " Salt of the Earth " Lose in Europe.

So Obviously its a straight Race between Chelski and Klops Clown Circus for the Prem title next year, seeing as neither has any European distractions.
  • verylonglegs
    Textbook game of two halves that was. Liverpool could have easily been 2 up at the break and then were nowhere in the second half. Seville deserved winners overall.

That's it then for 2015-16. Test cricket starts tomorrow :)
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I don't know what has given me greater delight today! Knowing I can have another season of Hate of the JT, Or watching the Mug Mashers ( Kindest moniker I could dare put ) Cos they are all " Salt of the Earth " Lose in Europe.

So Obviously its a straight Race between Chelski and Klops Clown Circus for the Prem title next year, seeing as neither has any European distractions.
    Don't be daft Tim, Arsenal will break the habit of a lifetime and win the league next season :P
  • pinno
    Textbook game of two halves that was. Liverpool could have easily been 2 up at the break and then were nowhere in the second half. Seville deserved winners overall.

That's it then for 2015-16. Test cricket starts tomorrow :)

Cook needs 36 runs to hit 10k and beat Sechin Tendulkar's record for his age.
  • tim_wand
    If you are going to turn this into a cricket thread could you kindly move it to commuters
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:
    If you are going to turn this into a cricket thread could you kindly move it to commuters

No.
  • verylonglegs
    tim wand wrote:

Show some bloody respect. Call me whatever you like but never ever associate me with that mob.
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:

Show some bloody respect. Call me whatever you like but never ever associate me with that mob.

From a fellow Gooner too :roll:

Mind you, dare I say it, i'd rather be a communter than a Chelski supporter.

Some are both :wink: