The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mr Goo wrote:
    It was a good result. Well done.

It's been obvious since September that there are three considerably worse teams in the division than you guys so you were never going to be in danger. (We had years of thinking like that so know what to look for ;) )

You may say that, but on paper those teams are superior to Cherries, and there have been some off the wall results all season. It has been a strange season in the Prem. In a 'normal' season I think the Cherries may have been worse off, however this may be the start of levelling off the Prem for all.

As I said, we had years of looking at the league like this, it was that obvious, really!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,785
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Good one today for the Champions, although anything less than a win against a team like the Scummers would be a bit disappointing.

Like at the Bridge you mean?! ;)
    After last weekends result your username seems strangely appropriate :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • This sums it up nicely from a gooner

"you know what even if we did pull off a miracle and win this title how can anybody take satisfaction from it when the league is way below par this season with the Chavs non contenders,Utd and liverpool in transition and city indiferant.it really is a totally 'fake' league this season and to win it this year means fuc.k all almost a bit like qualifying for the CL in 4th spot in a normal season.had we gone like a stream train all season taking lumps out of everyone then yes you could get some satisfaction but this year really is about who is the best of the rest and sadly even this season it aint us"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,134
    Man U scored in the dying seconds against arguably a better Watford.
    The first time we have lost 3 in a row since 2010. We can't defend for toffee. Walcott is shyte in that position. Hit the woodwork 3 times but that's not good enough after totally dominating the game.
    Away to Tottenham on Saturday? Yeah right, we cant even win at home. Mertesacker is pants. We haven't signed a World Class striker since Thierry Henry. Can't win a poor PL.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    The first time we have lost 3 in a row since 2010. We can't defend for toffee. Walcott is shyte in that position. Hit the woodwork 3 times but that's not good enough after totally dominating the game.
    Away to Tottenham on Saturday? Yeah right, we cant even win at home. Mertesacker is pants. We haven't signed a World Class striker since Thierry Henry. Can't win a poor PL.
    Party time in Leicester after all three 'chasers' lost.

Two words that sum up what Arsenal lacks - mental strength. The squad on paper is something you can't really complain about.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,037
    And people thought last night's single point was a bad night for Leicester.
    There must be some chairmen wondering who to kick first.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pinno wrote:

walcott is shyte in every position. hes is utter gash. 0 football brain. cannot do things people lean in under 10's football, diagonal runs playing off the back of a defender etc.

he has pace. nothing else. and all he seems to care about is being nice. stealing a living. only the moron in charge would have given him such a contarct.

remember hes on 140k a week.

lets just repeat that 140k a week for the walcott!!!
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Party time in Leicester after all three 'chasers' lost.

Two words that sum up what Arsenal lacks - mental strength. The squad on paper is something you can't really complain about.

half true. its ok. put a competent manager in charge and they would have walked this league given the basket cases of city and united and the disgusting rebellion led by cesc that did for chelsea. but there is an awful lot of dross. yes a competent manager who actually does tactics for starters (koeman, guidolino, poch) could get far more out of them, let alone a top manger like klopp, ancellotti, simione, allegri.

there a re a lot of players not good enough, giroud, ramsey, mert, wally, ox, gabriel, gibbs etc. and theres nothing coming thru. campbell best player subbed first. the manager is crazy!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,134
    The mental strength is partly the belief instilled by the manager and partly the expectation of performance with no excuses. Against MU he said that the players couldn't be criticised for the performance and the commitment. Most would disagree and it sends out the message that it was acceptable amount of effort. Only in exceptional circumstances can a manager say those things and for those words to be motivational.
    If players within the squad are reluctant to pass to their own players, then it speaks volumes. Why stick with Walcott (in that position), why stick with Mertesacker and Flamini (who's a liability). We cannot defend and the build up play in attack is so messy and too elaborate. Very pretty when it works but clubs have become very wise to it and they know how to interrupt their play.
    If I was a player there, I would be so frustrated playing on such an elaborate style with other players just not up to the task and end results hard to achieve.
    There is a plethora of very good players with great potential but there comes a point when that potential has to be realised and for so long, there's no 'realisation'. Perhaps they are over-rated in a league where the primary attributes are some pace, a bucket load of determination and commitment, not necessarily fantastic technical attributes. So I am not sure that 'on paper' we are that good. I'd keep Wellbeck, Sanchez, Oxlade-Chaberlain, Koscielny, Monreal, Ozul, Ramsay, Campbell and Czech - the rest can go, especially the injury liabilities like Wilsher, Arteta etc. Giroud is a joke considering the service he gets. I wouldn't even keep Cazorla as we have plenty of creative mid-fielders but few (if any) are real ball winners. Seldom do we dominate the game in the mid-field despite the numbers and choice.
    Without winning the mid-field battle (evident against the bigger clubs), it places huge pressure on the back 4/5 and does not allow forwards freedom of position and peace of mind when going forward.
    Where is the 'presence' in any of the players? A natural captain? Czech should be made captain so that he can organise the back but I don't think he is vocal enough.
    The rise of other clubs means that Arsenal won't win the league for years yet.

Rant over.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:
    The mental strength is partly the belief instilled by the manager and partly the expectation of performance with no excuses. Against MU he said that the players couldn't be criticised for the performance and the commitment. Most would disagree and it sends out the message that it was acceptable amount of effort. Only in exceptional circumstances can a manager say those things and for those words to be motivational.
    If players within the squad are reluctant to pass to their own players, then it speaks volumes. Why stick with Walcott (in that position), why stick with Mertesacker and Flamini (who's a liability). We cannot defend and the build up play in attack is so messy and too elaborate. Very pretty when it works but clubs have become very wise to it and they know how to interrupt their play.
    If I was a player there, I would be so frustrated playing on such an elaborate style with other players just not up to the task and end results hard to achieve.
    There is a plethora of very good players with great potential but there comes a point when that potential has to be realised and for so long, there's no 'realisation'. Perhaps they are over-rated in a league where the primary attributes are some pace, a bucket load of determination and commitment, not necessarily fantastic technical attributes. So I am not sure that 'on paper' we are that good. I'd keep Wellbeck, Sanchez, Oxlade-Chaberlain, Koscielny, Monreal, Ozul, Ramsay, Campbell and Czech - the rest can go, especially the injury liabilities like Wilsher, Arteta etc. Giroud is a joke considering the service he gets. I wouldn't even keep Cazorla as we have plenty of creative mid-fielders but few (if any) are real ball winners. Seldom do we dominate the game in the mid-field despite the numbers and choice.
    Without winning the mid-field battle (evident against the bigger clubs), it places huge pressure on the back 4/5 and does not allow forwards freedom of position and peace of mind when going forward.
    Where is the 'presence' in any of the players? A natural captain? Czech should be made captain so that he can organise the back but I don't think he is vocal enough.

Rant over.

semi accurate in places there! bravo !

however ox, has gone backwards, again no brain and when will he realise his potential, its been 5 years...he has been dire this season. ramsey likewise. 2/3rd of a season great (a few years back)in however many years hes been at the club. the rest of that time hes been utter cr.ap. he wants to play in the centre, he has this season and been awful, over elaboration ego, simply not good enough. other than that all correct with the retention list aprt from ox and rambo

i dont think caz is quite good enough for a club of arsenals supposed ambitions, however i have to admit he has been missed big time this season so would retain too in balance, however he should have been sold to athletico when they bid for him when we could have resigned cesc.

nothing will change till wenger is gone in every respect from the club, be it manager, director etc. and he must have no say in his successor...remi garde anyone...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pinno wrote:

Rant over.

however ox, has gone backwards, again no brain and when will he realise his potential, its been 5 years...he has been dire this season. ramsey likewise. 2/3rd of a season great (a few years back)in however many years hes been at the club. the rest of that time hes been utter cr.ap. he wants to play in the centre, he has this season and been awful, over elaboration ego, simply not good enough. other than that all correct with the retention list aprt from ox and rambo

i dont think caz is quite good enough for a club of arsenals supposed ambitions, however i have to admit he has been missed big time this season so would retain too in balance, however he should have been sold to athletico when they bid for him when we could have resigned cesc.

nothing will change till wenger is gone in every respect from the club, be it manager, director etc. and he must have no say in his successor...remi garde anyone...

In that case Jose's available. :lol:
  • Pinno wrote:

Rant over.

He's a a c.unt but would take him for a couple of years...much prefer ancellotti who would have come had we moved for him before he agreed to bayern. Even over pep, who also would have come had we gone for him. Instead we have aw for another yer and he has signed a 3 year extension again on top of that recently, but results have been such the club don't dare announce it yet.

To anyone who says but who could replace Wenger, I need say no more that what was said when he was originally appointed...Arsene who?
  • Oh by the way Pinno, giroud on 130k a week.

Haha

U have to laugh
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pinno wrote:

Rant over.

He's a a c.unt but would take him for a couple of years...much prefer ancellotti who would have come had we moved for him before he agreed to bayern. Even over pep, who also would have come had we gone for him. Instead we have aw for another yer and he has signed a 3 year extension again on top of that recently, but results have been such the club don't dare announce it yet.

To anyone who says but who could replace Wenger, I need say no more that what was said when he was originally appointed...Arsene who?

Well to many, me included, so is Wenger. Only he's a bigger one. At least with Jose he knows how to win a title and a CL.
  • Stevo_666

He's a a c.unt but would take him for a couple of years...much prefer ancellotti who would have come had we moved for him before he agreed to bayern
    If he won you the title all that would fall away...not many people who weren't Manure supporters thought much different of Fergie. But really Arsenals' problems are same s**t, different year - it's Groundhog Year in the premier league.

One consolation for you is that after watching MOTD last night, City were even more crap than Arsenal. So you may come third instead of fourth :wink:
  • lostboysaint
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Good one today for the Champions, although anything less than a win against a team like the Scummers would be a bit disappointing.

Coming from someone who's team (the PL team, obviously, not the other one!) is still on page two that's a wee bit embarrassing.

1-3 ;)
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lostboysaint
    walcott is shyte in every position. hes is utter gash. 0 football brain. cannot do things people lean in under 10's football, diagonal runs playing off the back of a defender etc.

he has pace. nothing else. and all he seems to care about is being nice. stealing a living. only the moron in charge would have given him such a contarct.

You are wrong.

But if you said that he's a great example of yet another player completely and utterly ruined by Wenger then you'd have a very good point.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Coming from someone who's team (the PL team, obviously, not the other one!) is still on page two that's a wee bit embarrassing.

1-3 ;)
    The difference being that we are only shyte this season :)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Chelsea are only 8 points off 4th now! they couldn't.... could they?

Although this season has been great as a spectacle I still think the standard of the teams in the premier league is at an all time low.

Spurs aren't really doing any better than normal yet are second because everyone else is self destructing at every given opportunity!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • lostboysaint
    How did you do against us last season then? No wins in two ;)

That's probably why you sacked Mourinho, as long as Koeman was around you'd never beat us (feel free to check out his record) and, in your own words, "if we can't beat a team like the scummers...."

Keep up at the back.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • walcott is shyte in every position. hes is utter gash. 0 football brain. cannot do things people lean in under 10's football, diagonal runs playing off the back of a defender etc.

You are wrong.

But if you said that he's a great example of yet another player completely and utterly ruined by Wenger then you'd have a very good point.

Love it. I'm wrong. Just wrong. No counter argument. Just wrong. We'll I'd suggest u speak to 95% of gooners who arnt jcl, tourist, wenger fan boys and get their opinion. And that of most pundits. Chris waddle was spot on years ago. I learnt to do things wally doesn't know how to do playing for Writtle minors under 10's. And the peak of my football career was essex reps trials as a kid. Wally is a pro and doesn't know how to do those things.

Wenger has ruined and misused many; ox, arshavin, pod, chambers etc. But not wally. Wally simply has no attributes bar speed. And for that we waste 140k a week on him. Yet people claim wenger had no money to work with!!
  • Pinno wrote:

Rant over.

Well to many, me included, so is Wenger. Only he's a bigger one. At least with Jose he knows how to win a title and a CL.

Don't get me wrong I fully agree!. There's no denying Jose is a c.unt though. Poking the late villanova in the eye etc. Nasty. But he knew how to win in his way. So no qualms there.

C.unts are needed. And there's nothing better when it's your c.unt doing it and everyone else hates them even more for it.
  • lostboysaint

You are wrong.

Love it. I'm wrong. Just wrong. No counter argument. Just wrong. We'll I'd suggest u speak to 95% of gooners who arnt jcl, tourist, wenger fan boys and get their opinion. And that of most pundits. Chris waddle was spot on years ago. I learnt to do things wally doesn't know how to do playing for Writtle minors under 10's. And the peak of my football career was essex reps trials as a kid. Wally is a pro and doesn't know how to do those things.

Wenger has ruined and misused many; ox, arshavin, pod, chambers etc. But not wally. Wally simply has no attributes bar speed. And for that we waste 140k a week on him. Yet people claim wenger had no money to work with!!

He's scored international goals, he's scored goals at every level. He was your top scorer for the first three months of the season but then Wenger started fucking around again.

Unfortunately for you lot he was the complete package and when he's away from Goonerland and the bizarre indoctrination that seems to take place ("I can make you a better player, forget everything you knew because now you're going to be a wide man, no a striker, no a wide man, perhaps a wing back") he consistently proves that he's a good footballer.

Same with the Ox, same with Chambers.

Wenger has an incredible ability to "identify" talent (if it's obvious to the whole world) and then completely ruin it with his "ideas". Not just his footballing "ideas" but also his training methods which have left most of them broken almost beyond repair.

If you're looking for scapegoats, which from your rant you very clearly are, then you are looking in completely the wrong place because Walcott and a number of those other players would perform very, very well elsewhere.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Stevo_666
    How did you do against us last season then? No wins in two ;)

That's probably why you sacked Mourinho, as long as Koeman was around you'd never beat us (feel free to check out his record) and, in your own words, "if we can't beat a team like the scummers...."

Keep up at the back.
    Short memory - we beat you last weekend. Your arguments are as empty as Southamptons trophy cabinet :wink:
  • walcott is shyte in every position. hes is utter gash. 0 football brain. cannot do things people lean in under 10's football, diagonal runs playing off the back of a defender etc.

You are wrong.

He's scored international goals, he's scored goals at every level. He was your top scorer for the first three months of the season but then Wenger started ******* around again.

Unfortunately for you lot he was the complete package and when he's away from Goonerland and the bizarre indoctrination that seems to take place ("I can make you a better player, forget everything you knew because now you're going to be a wide man, no a striker, no a wide man, perhaps a wing back") he consistently proves that he's a good footballer.

Same with the Ox, same with Chambers.

Wenger has an incredible ability to "identify" talent (if it's obvious to the whole world) and then completely ruin it with his "ideas". Not just his footballing "ideas" but also his training methods which have left most of them broken almost beyond repair.

If you're looking for scapegoats, which from your rant you very clearly are, then you are looking in completely the wrong place because Walcott and a number of those other players would perform very, very well elsewhere.

Scapegoats? So no ones to blame. Not the manager not anyone that Arsenal are underperforming big time. Just one of those things, no root cause ie a dinosaur of a manager and players who are not good enough.

Walcott scored goals at international level. Yeah sure has. A hattrick years ago against a moderate Croatia side apart, I don't think much a pat from that. But then international football is a higher standard than top club level these days isn't it......

Jeez.

Name some of his other attributes?

He scored a few goals as striker. Not nearly enough though. Hes not a natural finisher and not good enough as a striker.

I agree with u on wenger ruining ox. Even though he has no brain, maybe on chambers, but chambers was not even first choice for Southampton so not too sure he was ever a great white hope and far to slow to play at full back, but not wally. Wenger hasn't helped him, but the player has to take some responsibility of his own development. Wally hasn't. We see hundreds of teenage prospects touted as the big thing, fredd adu, that sonny kid at ajax, etc. Few make it. Wally has made it in the sense he's playing for a big club earning massive wages but he shouldn't be. He should be at a mid table club at best (arse may soon be!!!).

No misplaced Southampton loyalty changes that. Hes never been the complete package for anyone by a distance. Sorry you are wrong.

Simply name his attributes apart from pace.
  • Stevo_666
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chelsea are only 8 points off 4th now! they couldn't.... could they?
    You never know...could be a fun end to the season.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Playing mantis, I don't want to get in the way of your rant. Quite enjoyed just reading it. And you're quite right of course, your manager and half of your squad are two bob. But when was pep ever coming to Arsenal in a million years?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Stevo_666
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Playing mantis, I don't want to get in the way of your rant. Quite enjoyed just reading it. And you're quite right of course, your manager and half of your squad are two bob. But when was pep ever coming to Arsenal in a million years?
    Or Jose for that matter.

I can see the banter ramping up ahead of the North London 'friendly' on Saturday :)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I didn't realise how close it was getting for 4th until Hoddle mentioned on the commentary lastnight that Man City should be careful and start to look over their shoulder. The thought of it is quite amusing though, that if Pellegrini's parting gift to his ex-employer is a first season in the Europa for their new golden boy manager. A real screw the lot of you gesture.