Pro race cross thread *spoilers*

Comments

• tumblr_nes75mfM2q1rmd2tmo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tumblr_ndc9g1nEiE1qatpcmo6_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Big banner saying something like Nys - homo or hetero we still.... ???

Not very nice :?
    It said whether he's hetero or not, he'll still win. From one of his fanclubs. Clumsy maybe, but clearly intended positively. Nothing to with Russian views on things.... . Perhaps worth mentioning that Belgium introduced gay marriage 11 years before the UK
  • tumblr_ndc9g1nEiE1qatpcmo6_1280.jpg

brilliant kit and photo that!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Just caught the final lap of the Soudal Classics live on Sporza.
    Sven Nys won comfortably from Van Aert and Kevin Pauwels.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • On course again today for our local race in Gavere.

The men's race will be worth watching, it's super slippy and the u23s and women's were crazy.

Wout Van Aert won the young uns race and nikki harris was good value for 2nd behind Sanne Kant in the women's race.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Nys on an absolute stinker today
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Fair play to Sven, he recovered from about 14th to 3rd. Van Tournhout wins with team mate Pauwels 2nd

@gietvangent
  • Good race. Worst (or is that the best?)conditions I've watched in the last couple of months, bike changes every lap. Immense skills shown. Nys ate up so much ground in such a short amount of time to move from 4th to 3rd.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • On course again today for our local race in Gavere.

The men's race will be worth watching, it's super slippy and the u23s and women's were crazy.

Wout Van Aert won the young uns race and nikki harris was good value for 2nd behind Sanne Kant in the women's race.

Caught this a couple of years ago - my first big cx race - very enjoyable -( apart from the chronic hangover I had from doing the rounds in Gent the night before ) testing course - there is a corkscrew muddy downhill dropoff? -
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,830
    Van Aert dominates the race today. Impressive stuff as he's only 20.

On a separate note do we think Nys is finally on the downward spiral? I know he's been such a dominant force over the years and is a legend but never looked like he had it today (similar to all season). Finished 15th over 2 minutes down. He also made a lot of mistakes today, some of them basic. He always seems to be looking for help as well this season. Maybe just a bad race but his form this season so far isn't inspiring for the rest of the season.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • FJS
    Impressive by youngsters Van Aert and van der Poel, 1st and 3rd.

This is no sign of a downwards spiral for Nys, he's taking it easy on the Worldcup races on purpose; it's not as important for him and his sponsor as the Superprestige and Bpost competition. I bet he'll be strong in the superprestige in Spa tomorrow
  • FJS wrote:
    Impressive by youngsters Van Aert and van der Poel, 1st and 3rd.

This is no sign of a downwards spiral for Nys, he's taking it easy on the Worldcup races on purpose; it's not as important for him and his sponsor as the Superprestige and Bpost competition. I bet he'll be strong in the superprestige in Spa tomorrow

Would agree with that, his chase last week in Gavere showed he's still got it in spades. If not for a slipped chain he'd have been fighting for the win there. Nys gets about €15,000 just to be on the start line of the Belgian series, so he needs to give a good account of himself there rather than the WC.

I think also, he's trying to make sure he's got something in the tank for the worlds, because that's Trek's main interest.

@gietvangent
  • Milton Keynes next week - anyone going?

Just found out about it
  • FJS
    Just watched highlights of the women's race of the superprestige cross in Spa, and it looks absolutely brutal! And a 1,2 for Britain, with Niki Harris and Helen Wyman. Looking forward to the men
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    A bit like the Old Bagshot Scramble, I like it.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • FJS
    That wall is madness
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,830
    That run up was crazy. a mudfest as well. Nys off the boil again though, maybe just a bad weekend.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Milton Keynes next week - anyone going?

Just found out about it
    I'm there with about 10 other Maldonians :-)
  • FJS
    Milton Keynes about to start. Reasonable crowd
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2CD5_oCZ2M
  • Good race - muddy!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    FJS wrote:
    Thanks, Enjoyed that.
    That England mud looks very familiar. :)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Thanks, Enjoyed that.
    That England mud looks very familiar. :)

Not a bad career start for number 3 niece. Saw her towards the front, early on and finished 32nd.
    Pretty fair for someone still a month short of 17.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Paul 8v
    Cracking racing and what a fantastic course!
  • A few photos from yesterday...

15727755447_421b40c37a_z.jpg

15727754797_125ab57e88_z.jpg

15726208120_c3a7b50db1_z.jpg

15912861002_94659ebe19_z.jpg

15726206310_563ee2c768_z.jpg

15912860022_6978b8ccc8_z.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Cheeky cheeky move by van der Poel to open the sprint today, 50 50 if he is unlucky it didnt work or karmic retribution that van Aerts won?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Great photos Greased, mine didn't come out as well as that but I got a couple of good ones of Nys, Wyman, Compton etc.

The skill of the riders was phenomenal, as they came off the start/finish straight to the right hand bend they just drifted down the off-camber section until they found grip, the first guy I saw go round there I was convinced was going to crash!

It was a great course design, lots of different elevations and I liked the way you could stand in one place and see four sections of the track!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Great photos Greased, mine didn't come out as well as that but I got a couple of good ones of Nys, Wyman, Compton etc.

Cheers! :D
    Paul 8v wrote:
    The skill of the riders was phenomenal, as they came off the start/finish straight to the right hand bend they just drifted down the off-camber section until they found grip, the first guy I saw go round there I was convinced was going to crash!

Carnage in the juniors and womens races!

15730427970_e10c83bcb2_z.jpg

15917085012_9718105cd4_z.jpg
    Paul 8v wrote:
    It was a great course design, lots of different elevations and I liked the way you could stand in one place and see four sections of the track!

Yeah, it was a great course. Great to see so many people out. World Cup has to come back next year, right?
  • Paul 8v
    I didn't get there in time for the juniors but I heard all the races were good.

I hope it does come back, it must be the most exciting thing that has ever happened in Milton Keynes and fair play to the council as they did a really good job.