London drinks

Comments

• Good times. Usual heavyweights out and some good new faces. More words tomorrow.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Go-home-youre-drunk.jpg

I hope you enjoyed yourself. But being London I imagine you limited yourself to one over-priced Belgian beer at £9 a bottle. Now get back off to your mortgage crippling one bed apartment and decide whether or not you can afford to turn the heating on.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I expect Lance Armstrong was discussed all night, bar short intervals for fighting? ;-)
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • The pub was a good choice and there is a good amount of space out the back where you can actually hear yourself speak unlike a lot of these other places.

Iain in his understated pink shirt was reliably good company and I couldnt quite believe it when he told us he was riding!
    BigBean was jovial and animated as usual and possibly necked the most pints...and had a long ride home : )
    Coriander was happy as ever demonstrating a surprised me by remembering my real name after two years
    Paul 8v, first time we`ve met - a great chap and clearly passionate about the sport. Held the most unusual job!
    Macaloon, another new face to me...authentic Scottish man who had interesting conversation
    Timoid, good to see the suave Irish man was in fine spirits
    Ridgerider, making a late appearance after a heavy meal with colleagues it was good to catch up
    OCDuPalais, reminding me of Pantani with his hooped earring, didnt get to chat much with him but he seemed a decent bloke
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Good times all round. Nice to meet a few new people, and good to see the old hands too.

We'll have to do one in season.

I think FF learnt a lesson about oversharing on the internet last night too :lol:

I believe we're all up on ourselves and unfriendly in the South East, so that must mean that get togethers in the north and or wales must be fantastic....oh, you don't do any? :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,454
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I expect Lance Armstrong was discussed all night, bar short intervals for fighting? ;-)

Absent forumites such as organiser in chief star moderator Mr Rick Chasey were abused far more than Armstrong.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,454
    iainf72 wrote:

Paul 8v said he'd be delighted to sort that out.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I think FF learnt a lesson about oversharing on the internet last night too :lol:

You surprised me with that one...some weird people out there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    TheBigBean wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Paul 8v said he'd be delighted to sort that out.

Damn, so I did! I was hoping Frenchie hadn't minuted that!

We could do a pre-TDF pub meet up and watch one of the Yorkshire stages if there is a sports bar showing it? (If there is enough of us we could just get them to put it on) I might need some advice on where to do this though from you city types as I haven't a clue where :D
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Rest day. Still reeling from the discovery that a distinguished forumite dabbles in necromancy. Heavyweight.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Was good seeing everyone last night. Reasonable turnout. Except for that truant Chasey.

What forfeit did we agree on for Rick's no show?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Macaloon
    I recall talk of suspending his whiteboytrash click-bait login for a while.
  • Paul 8v
    Macaloon wrote:
    Rest day. Still reeling from the discovery that a distinguished forumite dabbles in necromancy. Heavyweight.
    Start with small things like boars, then move on to an army of undead...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Macaloon wrote:

Is that a euphemism for posting on BR?

As a still relative newbie, it was good to meet the actual human beings behind the avatars/online personas (how quaint).
    Big Bean definitely wins 'Most Like Avatar' competition...
    FF changes his so often - plus, I'd formed a mental image of something between Dean Gaffney and Milhouse... But neither are true... Unless that thoroughly decent seeming bloke was a stunt double...?

Has anyone checked that Ridgerider's still alive after his 3rd event of the evening?
  • Paul 8v
    I had Frenchie down as a French Louis Theroux so I was way out! Disappointed that Iain does not have a massive cartoon head.
  • Paul 8v
    And of course that Macaloonis not actually Dr Strangelove
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    Hang on, is someone saying Frenchie isn't really called Frenchie?

Rich was talking about having a Welsh meet at the Nationals in Abergavenny. That could be a good one, for a small entry fee of £6.50 we'll even let some of you others over the bridge.
  • Paul 8v
    Sorry Pross, Frenchies true identity is a closely guarded secret.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,618
    Was there a stand out character at the Christmas drinks party?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • RichN95.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    It really isn't. He used to put his name in the URLs of some of his photos.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Are you one of the crazies I was referring to earlier who do their damnedest to to scour the internet trying to find the identity and various other aspects of people on forums? Otherwise known as stalking and the preserve of despicable people with dishonourable motives. Iain mentioned about one person who had got some information on me...lucky he wasn't at the meet because he would have got a piece of my mind.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Are you one of the crazies I was referring to earlier who do their damnedest to to scour the internet trying to find the identity and various other aspects of people on forums? Otherwise known as stalking and the preserve of despicable people with dishonourable motives. Iain mentioned about one person who had got some information on me...lucky he wasn't at the meet because he would have got a piece of my mind.
    No. I just noticed it a few times when 'quoting' the photos. The URL is in the reply box when you do that.
  • Good, good, you have never struck me as the type. Not my name in the url - just liked his writing about the time I set up the account.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Good, good, you have never struck me as the type. Not my name in the url - just liked his writing about the time I set up the account.
    If I was desperate to know who you are I'd have gone to London yesterday.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    seanoconn wrote:
    Was there a stand out character at the Christmas drinks party?

Yes.
    As lovely as everyone was, for me it was the Dark Star Pale Ale...
    £4.50 for a pint, that close to the City? Why, Ambassador, you are spoiling us...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Has anyone checked that Ridgerider's still alive after his 3rd event of the evening?
    Nevermind the 3rd event, 12 hours after walking out into the night from the BR do, I found myself in Scunthorpe (fully clothed and not attached to any street furniture thankfully). I'm tending towards Macaloon for that one, still waters run very deep.

However, it gave me time to reflect on the evening before, where three things stood out for me: -
    1. First rule of Bike Club is if you say you are coming, you have to turn up. Watching three work mates burning up from the inside by 1.3 million chilli burns in the 'hot wing challenge' (Collegue A - "Waiter, the three of us want to do the hot wing challenge"; Waiter - "I know it's a laugh, but I recommend you don't do it...") is quite addictive, but having said I was coming, I came.
    2. When Rick is not there, everyone relaxes as we don't have to talk alnight about Uncle Tom Cobbly and all.
    3. FrenchFighter needs to get over the power outage I caused to his office. That's why you do back ups, FF.

So, to the night in question...we went over last years minutes as usual. Despite a challenge from newbies Macaloon, Paul V8 and OCDuPalais, we reaffirmed the BR Xmas Drinkies Mantra that you need to assume that no riders are clean for the purposes of these evenings. Other random threads over the evening, which all flowed naturally at the time but I cannot recall the connections between them all now, included...

a. When are we going to get our first gay cycling icon?
    b. Lightning protection.
    c. Half an hour with Lance, or 5 hours with Brad (in a pub!)?
    d. How can you stop cats killing mice?
    e. Wheelbuilding
    f. Scotland
    g. Japan
    h. Echelons
    i. Aluminium
    j. Power cuts (let it go FF!)
    k. How long after someone dies is it ok to burn their effigy on a bonfire (let it go Timoid!)
    l. Rick

As said by others, good to meet the faces behind the facades.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Macaloon
    Ridgerider wrote:
    With the Total Recall, Andrew Mitchell style/i]

And with the Jedi skills to get S****horpe past the profanity filter. Chapeau.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    Still p!ssed off I couldn't make it.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Actually, I cannot recall ever seeing Rick and Frenchie in the same room at the same time...can you follow this up RichN95?
    Half man, Half bike
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300

Ditto - thought I was finally going to make it, and ended up laid up in bed for 3 days with a chest infection. No excuse, I know, but "there's always next year" *sigh*
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves