London drinks

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,510
    For anyone who is lost follow the signs to the museum of london. It is next to the entrance upstairs.

Currently on the long table.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Moved over to a table in the corner. Look out for the flat cap of rick.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    This has got to be the hardest pub in london to find

Yes! Thank you! I had to forgo my manhood and ask someome!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Well the plan worked...even though news of our Spring Conference got out, by choosing the only pub in London that you have to get lost in order to find, we managed to keep the rif-raf away and the Inner Circle did what it had to do every 5 years. Rick was chosen as the Lord Moderator for another term, although in a Putinesque way, it was a pretty foregone conclusion. He threatened anyone who did not vote for him with expulsion from the forum (and he knows all our addresses and will be round to lock our doors (or the equivalent in computer code terms)), and he promised to let everyone who did vote for him use the 'back door' into the 'black' Forum. This is the place where all the messages first come in and you can see what is really said before the semantic filter gets to work in them, with the 'racist' filter blocking any chat to do with races, and any irony gets replaced by a smiley face.

The rest of the time was spent persuading FrenchFighter to keep doing his 'Jens' on the forum, i.e. go off on a mad solo piece whenever he feels a thread is ticking along at too gentle a pace. He was not keen, but as he is on a yellow card, Rick highlighted the limited options available to him!

The highlight of the evening was when I was mistaken for Iain. That only lasted until I was asked my opinion on Sagen (or is it pronounced Sagen?) and with as deep a thought as I could muster, said that he was ok whilst he was losing, but if he ever started winnig anything, he would get really annoying.

As the tumble-weed rolled though the emptying bar and grill, I got my coat and left.

:D
    Half man, Half bike
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Haha, sounds good Ridgerider. I will hopefully be able to make the next one!

You and Iain look quite different from what I remember?!
  • frenchfighter
    Can always rely on you RR for the dramatic summary!

Was an enjoyable time last evening, the bar itself was better than I expected in terms of being able to sit down and have a chat comfortably - not packed or too noisy. Shame they only had Amstel and Heineken though.

Good to meet new people Dish_Dash and DDraver and good to see BigBean, Rick and RR again. All the other people that said they would turn up, didn't.

I had a hard time reconciling Ddraver's personality on here with that in real life : ), BigBean was on fine form as usual, RR was astute in his observations of Rick's 'Putinesque' moderation style, Rick was in good form, showed up early and I learnt a good few things, dish_dash (who recommended the place) brought a lot to the conversation and convinced me to post some photos again.

The conversation flowed nicely and we all agreed that Contador was the best stage race rider of his generation :wink:
    Rick reckons Boonen will not feature at all in Flanders and BB made the bold prediction that neither Boonen or Cancelara will win Flanders or Roubaix.

A bikeradar ride was mooted which would be a good idea imo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Good summaries so far.

Great to put real life faces to the internet profiles... pleasant surprises!

FF - where's that Purito photo?

And yes, a BR PR ride would be good. I'm guessing London heading South is going to get the most traction...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584
    I'll set it up.
  • ddraver
    Definitely up for a BRPR Ride

I reiterate that after all the bank talk I will accept no complaints about my rock posts during the GT's ;)
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    dish_dash wrote:
    FF - where's that Purito photo?

Was there one in particular?

If not then these two:
    vuelta2012_11_2.jpg
    bettiniphoto_0119777_1_full_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    Those are great. But the one I was referring to was Purito in the Spanish Nation Champs jersey...
  • frenchfighter
    304-007.jpg
    315-001.jpg
    bettiniphoto_0024514_1_full.jpg
    preview-caisse.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    yip, that's what a national champ should look like...
  • TheBigBean
    dish_dash wrote:
    yip, that's what a national champ should look like...

...when riding in Spain. Ok, I'll get my coat.
  • Do you all know each other's real names then?

Isn't that like Breaking The Magician's Code? Is that why Rick went, to moderate the conversation?
  • TheBigBean
    What about a London Nocturne meeting? The racing could be poor, but I like the idea of the Boris bike race.

http://www.londonnocturne.com/raceprogramme.php
  • Paul 8v
    The Le mans style start of the folding bike race is good value. I'd be up for it.
  • TheBigBean
    Maybe we need to enter a BR competitor in each race. I'm sure Mr Chasey and frenchfighter can be persuaded. Now, how do we get our hands on a penny farthing?
  • ddraver
    One of my former colleagues is down to do the Brompton Race so I ll be around...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Have my wisdom tooth out on the 5th so might not be fighting fit come 7th.
    Sort me out with a Brompton and I'll give it a crack.
  • Paul 8v
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Maybe we need to enter a BR competitor in each race. I'm sure Mr Chasey and frenchfighter can be persuaded. Now, how do we get our hands on a penny farthing?
    This guy was at our club 10 last night, pretty handy on a Penny farthing too ;-)
    ordinary.jpg
    I have ridden one once but it was a small one when I was a kid.

Never call it a Penny Farthing in front of a real anorak by the way, just don't :wink:
  • Paul 8v
    Who's going to be there on Saturday then? I will be there as one of our ex club lads is racing in the Kermesse (George Wood)

Anyone know of anywhere to park where I won't be impounded/have to sell a kidney to pay for it? I was thinking of driving down as then I don't have to worry about getting the last train. I don't mind having to walk a bit if there isn't anywhere decent nearby...
  • rick_chasey
    Saturday where?
  • ddraver
    London Nocturne

Me mate is doing the folding bike race so i ll be around
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    I can make an appearance for apres drinks if they're occurring?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm in the kermesse. Keep an eye out for the fat lad off the back.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    My other half is doing the women's race - which quite possibly might just get renamed 'The Katie Achibald Show', if her performances on the Tour Series are anything to go by... No one can live with her.

Paul - you should find lots of on street parking north of Old St/Clerkenwell Rd: loads of back streets (just double check the regs on the signs).
  • Paul 8v
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    My other half is doing the women's race - which quite possibly might just get renamed 'The Katie Achibald Show', if her performances on the Tour Series are anything to go by... No one can live with her.

Paul - you should find lots of on street parking north of Old St/Clerkenwell Rd: loads of back streets (just double check the regs on the signs).
    Ah thank you, I shall have a butchers.

Good luck for your other half, there looks like there's quite a few good riders in that race.

Anyone get any joy finding a Penny Farthing? I tried entering the Borris bike race but I was too late!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Looking forward to it; third year in a row now. Can't do any apres as we have to get back for a 5:30 start Sunday due to it being my wife's rowing club regatta next day which she organises (and is also racing) and I have to be the job's worth (I was more or less called that last year) marshaling the car park

Looking forward to cheering on an old colleague of mine in the track race (he won it last year)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Must be a few attending the Beards for Bradley vigil with the hipsteratti tonight. Hoping to get there around 6:30. Is there a rendezvous zone?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.