London drinks

1171819202123»

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    I always need a visa and won't be able to this time around Christmas time. Probably could hop over next year around summer though. Maybe we can make it bi-annual!? ;)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    We couldn't settle on a date that worked for everyone. So moving this to the New Year.

Any more interest for a January date. Perhaps one of: 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22 January?
  • m.r.m.
    edited December 2019
    I'd love to, but really need it to be in spring/summer. Maybe April or May?

Or do it in Germany or Paris and I'm in whenever. :wink:
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    if it fits in with work id be up for a date in Jan.
  • sherer
    did this happen in Jan ? Ive now started dry Jan a a few weeks late but am up for a few meeting up with some cycling people. Despite my best efforts very few people at work like watching sweaty men in lycra
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,574
    It didn’t, mainly as I had unexpected surgery two weeks ago so am on the mend.

I’m meeting up with Dish later this week so we’ll sort something out then.
  • m.r.m.
    Speedy recovery, Rick!
  • dish_dash
    To revive this one again! Suggest we aim for a night of Belgian beer/food at the Dovetail in Clerkenwell.

Suggested dates: 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26 February

Any of those work for a gathering?
  • rick_chasey
    All work for me
  • m.r.m.
    Sorry, that is still too early for me. Won't be able to sort work and the visa by then. Have fun, I'll try and catch you guys and gals next time or maybe for a second meeting later in the year.
  • dish_dash
    Alright folks, think we've got at least three confirmed.

So put Wednesday, 19 February, in the diary. 6-ish at the Dovetail in Clerkenwell for some Belgian beers and food, with plenty of chat about cycling and all other things!
  • rick_chasey
    I'll be there.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Me too.
    Half man, Half bike
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash said:

So put Wednesday, 19 February, in the diary. 6-ish at the Dovetail in Clerkenwell for some Belgian beers and food, with plenty of chat about cycling and all other things!

Just a bump to remind people.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash said:

Another bump to remind people.

• rick_chasey
    Yes see you there tomorrow. I shan't be staying for too long, not least as I don't intend on sharing my train with spurs fans.
  • m.r.m.
    My team just beat PSG, so we really should be doing it in Paris! ;)

Have fun lads & ladies! Would love to have another go at it later in the year!
  • sherer
    damn im working in Kent today. Can we move it to Biggin Hill :-)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    Sorry I won't be able to make it tonight.
  • ridgerider

Half man, Half bike
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    Held a parallel solo meetup in Copnhagen. Skål!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ridgerider
    edited February 2020
    Skol.

I hate these London Drinks events.

Firstly, my very basic pro-cycling knowledge is always embarrassingly exposed. But the main reason I spend these evenings sitting quietly at the table is that, because I never catch racing on TV, I have my own interpretation of how to pronounce teams and riders names based on written reports. And in most cases, none of these reflect the correct pronunciation as given by fellow forummers at these drinks dos. I give this example from early on last night...

Forummer: Hi, good to see you again. What are you drinking?
    Me: De Koninck.
    Forummer: Appropriate choice...De Koninck Quickstep!
    Me: Huh?

We quickly settled down to putting the world to rights; Tibet, Extinction Rebellion, Alaphillipe's facial hair, queue jumping in hospital A+E departments, first cycling memory. Of course, I couldn't remember mine (although I do now...and ageing Valverde outsprinting a young Armstrong to a summit finish in Courchevel in the 2005 Tour).

Soon it was time for food, and despite a simple misunderstanding on my part, I ate most of the starters thinking it was a replacement for my main course. I did think that the choice of large meatballs as the main course was in poor taste considering what the hormone injections are doing to my body. But to be fair, I chose it as well and it did taste good.

So to the main purpose of the evening, to make our predictions of the forthcoming season. Once again, my lack of a solid Winter's background training showed me up rather. However, others there thought that Cav had finished, so I wasn't the only one out of touch. And as is the way it's done, our detailed analysis was so precise and in depth, we managed to come up with reasons how everyone could lose. So here they are, the probable losers, as I think I heard them...

MSR: You-earn
    Flanders: Sag-en
    Everything else: Wanda Pole
    All the others: Yvonne Poole
    Not forgetting: Van Abbamile
    Italy: Someone up for contract renewal
    France: Columbia
    Tokyo: Surely not Jill Bear
    Spain: Sounds like train...time to go!
    Half man, Half bike