London drinks

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    London's hostelries have gone Xmas crazy and I can't get a table booking without a deposit.

So Rick and I'll get down to the Phoenix on the corner of Throgmorton Street and Old Broad Street just before 6 to try to nab a table. Look out for Rick in a green cap...

To confirm:
    Tuesday, 15 December, 1800 onwards at the Phoenix

All welcome...

Just a reminder... see y'all this eve...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Yes I will be resplendent in an olive green field cap.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Should get there about 1800. Rick or Dish can you PM me your number as I've never met any of you before
  • dish_dash
    Should get there about 1800. Rick or Dish can you PM me your number as I've never met any of you before

Done! See you tonight...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    See you all there.
    Half man, Half bike
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    I'm still coming too
  • TheBigBean
    I'm heading over shortly.
  • dish_dash

Me too! See you there... grab a table if you can...
  • TheBigBean
    dish_dash wrote:

Me too! See you there... grab a table if you can...

You'll see just how funny that statement is when you arrive.

I'm by the rear door. Coming in round the back is a good idea - it is through the arch.

No phone reception there though
  • dish_dash
    Big Bean and I on the centre table
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Where is RidgeRider's Report? ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Where is RidgeRider's Report? ;)

I know, I feel my solidarity drinking last night was wasted!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Where is RidgeRider's Report? ;)

I know, I feel my solidarity drinking last night was wasted!

It's too late - I've already the image of a bunch of tired and emotional half-dressed Santas strewn all over Guys A&E outpatients waiting for news of Dish Dash's X-ray following his fight about oil prices with a city trader dressed as a reindeer.
  • rick_chasey
    Well Frenchie didn't make it because of "fed related market gyrations" which mainly shows his age.

Ridge was there as ever, passing comment on all things Lotto related.

I was gobby. Who knew.

Big bean got his customary "ban national jerseys" chat in

Dish indulged his need to gossip on all of you lot.

Sherer likes his replica kit, especially if they took loads of EPO.

Oh and the last remaining Boston burger was dropped by the cook so no one got it.
  • I met the great granddaughter of the founder of the Ronde and chatted Springsteen and DBT with Iljo's dad. Tuesday night fever!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Well Frenchie didn't make it because of "fed related market gyrations" which mainly shows his age.

Is that just a euphemism for 'Going round the food shops'?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • sherer
    Had a really good time meeting everyone , thanks to everyone that turned up
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Not sure how I ended up in a Turkish bath in Canning Town, but I was reassured by the look Dish gave me (as only men can give to other men in such locations) that I would get out alive.

The evening had started well enough in a quiet City bar. We knocked back the craft cocktails and looked back over the year, both in terms of the forum and cycling. And we looked forward to what we decided might either be a classic year ahead or a rubbish one, who knows...least of all Pro Race forum members. What I do know however, is that I was probably old enough to be their father. I'm guessing this, as I was the only one there who was not constantly looking at their 'smartphones' and taking group selfies.

So, as the official recorder of FACT, I think I can definitely remember the following being discussed during the early part of the evening: -
    The Vuelta, why? It's like having the 3rd/4th place playoff after the final. No-one cares apart from Big Bean, who can remember the top 10 finishers from recent years, but cannot recall any individual 2015 spring classics. They are all one very long race to him.
    That there are people who have been in the forum for years and will never have seen Wiggins race without a beard.
    That mens racing should be less controlled, like women's racing, but not in Belgium where there needs to be at least 200k of nothing happening first to make time for drinking.
    How did Kloden manage it?
    That we all have different forum names for when we go to Bottom Bracket, and that is where Frenchfighter has been for the past few months, going undercover and winding them all up down there.
    Desert racing? No.
    That Brad beat more people in the Tour than Aru did in the Vuelta, or something.
    That Tom Boonen is past his best and only fit enough for traffic light sprints on the Albert Embankment commuter rat race.
    Who is the nicest forum member.
    That with Hesink, Kelderman and Hofland, Jumbo have the strongest WT team line up for 2016.

And that is where I remember Dish coming back from the bar with some random food and pints of hand-crushed apple Prosecco, telling me to undress and wrap a bath towel round me.
    Half man, Half bike
  • dish_dash
    :lol:

Glad to see you eventually made it home RidgeRider...

Great seeing all of you! Good evening :wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Something disturbing has come to my attention.

Please own up.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13041404#p19763359
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash
    So... how about some post-classics, pre-Giro forum drinks?

Tuesday, 3 May, 6pm onwards, at London Wall Bar and Kitchen (http://www.benugo.com/restaurants/londo ... ar-kitchen).

All welcome for a beer, pizza, and a wide ranging discussion which may or may not include a review of the classics, who Sep will ride for next season, disc brakes in the peloton, Dumolin's chances at the Giro, baby names, and national champion jerseys.

See you there!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    As it turns out I actually have a meeting in London on the third unless it gets cancelled... if I am welcome?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Oh, it says all welcome. In which case I might be there :)
  • dish_dash
    Yes, absolutely. You're very welcome!
  • rick_chasey
    I guess I can drag myself over....
  • sherer
    can't do that day but if it moves to another day let me know. Can only do 12th or 19th
  • Will try and move some stuff around. Will keep you updated.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:
    So... how about some post-classics, pre-Giro forum drinks?

Tuesday, 3 May, 6pm onwards, at London Wall Bar and Kitchen (http://www.benugo.com/restaurants/londo ... ar-kitchen).

All welcome for a beer, pizza, and a wide ranging discussion which may or may not include a review of the classics, who Sep will ride for next season, disc brakes in the peloton, Dumolin's chances at the Giro, baby names, and national champion jerseys.

See you there!

Am travelling and havent been online much, but see plenty of discussion so thought I'd remind you about London drinks next week. In case anyone fancied a real life discussion over a beer....
  • Sorted my life out and should be making an appearance. Will drop you a text Tues arvo dish.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • TheBigBean
    I'll be there too