Tour 2014 route

12346»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm trying to decide whether to head down to stage 5 and be there for the cobbled carnage in person or whether or not it just makes more sense to watch it at home on the telly...?

Nah, don't go, it will be rubbish... :wink:

I ve a nasty feeling a hot girl committed me to doing the RVV sportive next year at the weekend...

Isn't that in April? Isn't this about the cobbled stages of the TdF?

So?

(Yes indeed RR)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    So?

Oh right. I just didn't get why you quoted my post...

But talking of the RVV Sportive, I did get an email from the organisers saying due to demands from the local authorities, entry would be limited. Not sure if this is just to get people to sign up early as is did mention no more than 16,000. Also you can get cheaper entry you sign up early. Not sure if that's any help to you?
  • delete
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador cruising the cobbles.
    contcob_zps0e19dc20.jpg?t=1383732638
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Evening stage around the Arc again...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evening ... -de-france

Hmm, not sure I'm that happy about that :?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I was there for the evening this year, it was quite good at night to be fair with all the lights and everything. Going round the Arc made sense from a scenic point of view and meant there wasn't a big bundle at the end of the Champs Elysees where they doubled back on themselves.

It also means you get to ride the sportive in the morning :-)
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I was there for the evening this year, it was quite good at night to be fair with all the lights and everything. Going round the Arc made sense from a scenic point of view and meant there wasn't a big bundle at the end of the Champs Elysees where they doubled back on themselves.

It did feel pretty special this year. The only downside - well, two downsides - is that 1. the teams dont get to do their lap of honour up and down the Champs, and 2. it makes it impossible for Brits to do a cheeky trip over just for the day
  • Paul 8v
    That's true, I quite fancy a day trip this year (I was there for a few days before this year) I'm not sure why they didn't do the lap of honour though.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Yep Its the Champs for me next year, it looked splendid at night. Cant wait.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited December 2013
    Paul 8v wrote:

Yeah, I was there as well. And rode the shortest sportive in the world! :D

9482662916_ac3b7efe3a_b.jpg

But. I thought the light show they did as awful. Really cheesy. And they have done sportives before the final stage when it's been in the afternoon. Doesn't need to be in the evening for that. No problems with them going around the Arc de Triomphe though, that looked good on the TV.

Won't be going next year, it's cobbles to Belle Fille for me!
  • The main drawback is that the highlights are not on at 7pm, but in the middle of the night so you don't get to see the final stage until the next day.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    That's true, I quite fancy a day trip this year (I was there for a few days before this year) I'm not sure why they didn't do the lap of honour though.

Cos of timings I think - they decided it would be be too late after the award ceremony
  • Paul 8v wrote:

Cos of timings I think - they decided it would be be too late after the award ceremony

And they wanted to show off the £1m they spent on fancy lasers lighting up the Arc :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

And they wanted to show off the £1m they spent on fancy lasers lighting up the Arc :D
    It did look awesome to be fair
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    It did look awesome to be fair

Looked a bit naff to be honest...
  • Paul 8v
    Yeah, I was there as well. And rode the shortest sportive in the world! :D
    To be fair the bike ride from the hire place to the Arc was longer than the sportive but it was a nice opportunity to ride round the arc and down the Champs Elysees without being flattened!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    The lights and lasers were awesome, on TV, another reason why I will be going next year.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    To be fair the bike ride from the hire place to the Arc was longer than the sportive but it was a nice opportunity to ride round the arc and down the Champs Elysees without being flattened!

Yeah, I got lost on my ride back to the hotel and probably rode further! But it was great fun, would love to do it again, just won't be next year.
  • uran.jpeg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

Yeah, I got lost on my ride back to the hotel and probably rode further! But it was great fun, would love to do it again, just won't be next year.
    Haha, I lost GPS on both phones then tried to use a map which was all horrible where it had been in my pocket and got hot and sweaty and half of it blew away! Nice place to get lost though :-)
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Haha, I lost GPS on both phones then tried to use a map which was all horrible where it had been in my pocket and got hot and sweaty and half of it blew away! Nice place to get lost though :-)

The boar must have been frazzled!
  • The boar must have been frazzled!

I think the boar would have been frazzled long before that!
  • The boar must have been frazzled!

I think the boar would have been frazzled long before that!

Roasted boar! He never really bounced back from Ventoux tbf
  • Paul 8v
    It was chuffin' hot that day in Paris, I think I drank about 10 litres of water! The boar doesn't say too much so had no complaints from him ;-)