Tour 2014 route

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    ThomThom wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Can't Bertie manage to do his tie up properly? Poor show and a lack of class. :lol:

Bertie is the one on the right...

I know - he's dressed as if going to a funeral, and his tie isn't done up properly! :?
  • calvjones wrote:
    If it splits on the Carrefour, the time gaps could be monumental

Don't think it will split there, doesn't look like it's the same sector they use on Roubaix, think it's the one at Gruson, which isn't so bad. Interesting they have Mons en Pevele, that's a really bad sector, usually rated 5 star, the same as Arenberg. But looks to be shorter at 1km. I reckon the real action (and splits) will kick off at Sar et Rosieres. 2.4km and it's pretty rough as well!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited October 2013
    calvjones wrote:
    If it splits on the Carrefour, the time gaps could be monumental

Don't think it will split there, doesn't look like it's the same sector they use on Roubaix, think it's the one at Gruson, which isn't so bad. Interesting they have Mons en Pevele, that's a really bad sector, usually rated 5 star, the same as Arenberg. But looks to be shorter at 1km. I reckon the real action (and splits) will kick off at Sar et Rosieres. 2.4km and it's pretty rough as well!

It is. One of my usual sectors for P-R roadside viewing pleasure
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Exciting
  • It is. One of my usual sectors for P-R roadside viewing pleasure

Indeed! Been there a few times myself. But think I'll be heading to Wallers in July! :D
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Can't Bertie manage to do his tie up properly? Poor show and a lack of class. :lol:

I know - his tie isn't done up properly! :?

How would you describe Froome's attempt then?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    Love the line up photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    That blazer :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Comparing to those at the Giro presentation:
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/1014 ... 8790_h.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    Basso and Scarponi looking boss in that.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Turning to more trivial matters: that a sporting event can pay respects to a World War without (probably) trivializing or exploiting it for commercial gain, is nothing short of miraculous. Worth adding to the mix as the inevitable scandals break over close season.

And given the cobbled combat stage, the pre-tour alliance intrigue should be lively. I'd expect Movistar to ride as if sponsored by Mother Teresa in the early season, for instance.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • First thoughts.
    Likes: The mix of parcour from Ypres to Oyonnax, in particular the Vosges stages.
    Dislikes: Heavily back loading the race again and some of the major mountain stages, in general.
    One long ITT.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Not that I am an authority on sartorial elegance, but I really don't get this look.

Casual or smart, surely -
    jacket, tie and trainers - no (for the sponsor presumably)
    tie not done up - no
  • Lots to say about this photo.

le-tour-france-2014-route-20131023-114055-588.jpg
    Need to look hi-res:
    http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/getty ... 55-588.jpg

It's quite a thing when grown men actually look better in lycra
  • Its not a good look, to be honest. He wore jeans and jacket combo last year too IIRC.

*tuts disapprovingly*
  • God Marcel Kittel really was produced in a secret underground lab wasn't he?

And Chris Froome looks like one of my students when they think that putting on a jacket and tie on top of their usual uniform when giving a presentation will somehow help.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Can i take it that Frenchie is in love with what Contador is wearing but utterly revolted by what Froome is wearing even though they wearing the same thing?

Froome's been in Europe too long. Cav just has a standard outfit for this now

Must say that Kittel must be melting knickers o'er all Paris today
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hmmmm, what are those cobble sections on stage 5 going to do to certain teams rider selections I wonder?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    ThomThom wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I know - his tie isn't done up properly! :?

How would you describe Froome's attempt then?

Dire! :D
    Don't think pro-cyclists seem to have much dress sense!
  • frenchfighter
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Not that I am an authority on sartorial elegance, but I really don't get this look.

Casual or smart, surely -
    jacket, tie and trainers - no (for the sponsor presumably)
    tie not done up - no

Agreed. Kittel has it bang on. All this mix and match is not cool. Trying to put too much effort to look stylish also doesnt work.

--

Yes I agree ATC, first time I saw that I thought it was some sort of Bond Villain.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Last year:
    blogger-image-773924818.jpg
    Le+Tour+de+France+2013+Route+Announcement+scm6Gq3nf9el.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Wiggos borrowed Ming the Merciless coat....
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Wiggo is well dressed, as its more of a taste thing.

Poor Pip worst dressed man in cycling.

Has Bertie only one suit? Sure there the same
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Those jeans! Froome's jeans! He is not a Belgian, he has NO excuse. NO EXCUSE! :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Froome 2012 is wearing the same as Bertie 2013...

The very surprising Mrs Contador is going tweed shopping tomorrow!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    The very surprising Mrs Contador is going tweed shopping tomorrow!

Oh so you got that vibe too did you?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Why was wiggins not there today ? was it raining and he couldnt make the descent of the champs elysees 8) or was it his usual "its my ball and am not playing".
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Why was wiggins not there today ? was it raining and he couldnt make the descent of the champs elysees 8) or was it his usual "its my ball and am not playing".
    Lots of riders weren't there - Quintana, Rodriguez, Sagan, Nibali, Greipel etc. There's no particular reason why Wiggins would be there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Brian Holm ‏@brianholm1962 5m
    St Up Comedian Cav will stop laughing when he realize Uran Uran is sole OPQS leader TdF 2014. Get some bloody bottels!!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    A great route I think, with fewer boring flat stages and more to spice things up

Positives:
    - The Alsace stages really add an extra mountain range early on, especially stage 10
    - cobbles, and a good amount of them.
    - no TT until after the final mountains means fewer people can be sure of their places and defend them, like this year in the Alps
    - Hautacam and Pla d'Adet, some proper MTFs in the last week
    - the stage to Sheffield will be great; I expect the GC favourites to test each other properly on Jenkin Road
    - little bits and pieces that could surprise in the first week: those Yorkshire Dales hills in stage 1; a couple of cobbled climbs in stage 4; a hilly finale in stage 7; some short steep ramps in the finale of stage 8.

The Alps are a bit meh. No obvious cross-wind stage