Tour 2014 route

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited December 2013 in Pro race
Doesn't anyone know of any good TdF rumour websites? Quick Google search isn't throwing up much.

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Assume you mean 2014...

Here's your man: http://www.velowire.com/article/776/en/ ... ages-.html
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I don't know what rumours you want, but Cycling News had most of the results. Apparently Froome won.

Now if you actually want 2014 Route rumours then www.velowire.com is without parallel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Assume you mean 2014...

:oops:
    dish_dash wrote:

Cheers! :D
  • So who has their fingers crossed for pavé? Looks like Froome doesn't!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome- ... -de-france
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited October 2013
    So who has their fingers crossed for pavé? Looks like Froome doesn't!

He should welcome them. Firstly he's more or less the biggest and most powerful of the GC contenders and secondly, with the likes of Thomas, EBH and Stannard from this year's team, he's got a fairly decent team to look after him. Last time Andy Schleck was a big winner because he had Cancellara.

Here's an idea - how about a team time trial over cobbles.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Indeed. I can't see someone like Quintana being very good on them. Also interesting that Froome has ridden Paris Roubaix before. Assume that would have been when he was riding for Barloworld.
  • Pavé, hmm not sure about that, I know the TdF has done it before but it's not what it's about IMO.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I'd like to see more stages along the coast and pray that the wind blows.

As for rumours, I'm not going to reveal my sources but I've heard there's going to be 2 stages in Yorkshire and another that finishes in London but keep it to yourself and you didn't hear it from me. I think there's also going to be a stage finish in Paris but less sure of that.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Apart from cobbles, the current predictions suggest only one (flat) TT all the way at the end of the race, and no TTT. Not exactly Froome's wish-list

Not much coast next year, Pross, but the stage to Nimes could go through the Camargue with some nice cross-winds (remember the 2009 stage down there in the first week)
  • While the mix up every year is a good thing to keep the race fresh, there is always the thing about it favouring one rider or another rider, so you want it to be different, but consistent too!

Ideally you'd but the combination of events and courses into a some random number generator so it's entirely chance what occurs and there's no accusation of the route being chosen to help or hinder a particular rider.
  • Pross
    FJS wrote:
    Apart from cobbles, the current predictions suggest only one (flat) TT all the way at the end of the race, and no TTT. Not exactly Froome's wish-list

Not sure about that, he can maybe just about hold onto the others in the hills :wink:
  • FJS
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Not sure about that, he can maybe just about hold onto the others in the hills :wink:
    Just referring to his wish-list in the cyclingnews article
  • RichN95 wrote:
    So who has their fingers crossed for pavé? Looks like Froome doesn't!

He should welcome them. Firstly he's more or less the biggest and most powerful of the GC contenders and secondly, with the likes of Thomas, EBH and Stannard from this year's team, he's got a fairly decent team to look after him. Last time Andy Schleck was a big winner because he had Cancellara.

Here's an idea - how about a team time trial over cobbles.

Thats pure evil (LIKES)

'tis true about his build, though - and also the team strength vs MOV, Saxo etc. Eisel also - I suspect DaveB's had to give him as close to a cast-iron promise as you can can get re next year's Tour team, to keep him next year.

Froome had better get his backside over some cobbles* AND get out onto the Yorkshire roads, before Jul.

*the British media will have him as fave for P-R
  • Pavé, hmm not sure about that, I know the TdF has done it before but it's not what it's about IMO.

But last time they did it, it was a great stage!

(Apart from Frank Schleck's crash. Don't think anyone liked seeing that...)
  • Froome had better get his backside over some cobbles* AND get out onto the Yorkshire roads, before Jul.

Don't panic, he'll be fine!

Chris_Froome.jpg
  • They're going to have to weight poor Quintana down... :(
  • Pross
    The Vosges sounds good to me. Perfect bike racing terrain that doesn't get enough use at the top level.

I reckon that the Tour will be spending a lot of time in Northern France over the next few years with towns being selected to commemorate the centenary of Great War battles.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited October 2013
    Another vote for Cobbles! It should be a test of all a riders strengths and cobbles are part of road cycling lore. As one of the commentors on that CN link says it would be like sprinters complaining that the mountains should be left out as they find them hard.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    FJS wrote:
    Not much coast next year, Pross, but the stage to Nimes could go through the Camargue with some nice cross-winds
    HORSES!!!!!!! This is [not] a drill!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    nic_77 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Not much coast next year, Pross, but the stage to Nimes could go through the Camargue with some nice cross-winds
    HORSES!!!!!!! This is [not] a drill!

We'll need to commission Rich to create a collector's edition thread starter.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If they've been paying attention they will lump in as many 'classics' stages as permitted by start/finish town economics. Such a parcours gives a climber with one-day smarts and a savvy team (Quintana) protection against a weak TT, and a competitive TTer (Nibali) a chance against a slightly superior climber. Also creates plenty of scope for podium wildcard shenanigans from likes of Uran, Mollema, Pinot (?)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • FJS
    looking at the year after, 2015 TdF grand depart in Utrecht, Netherlands? They seem to suggest its all confirmed to the council by ASO. Still, 2 grand departs abroad in a row?

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1063/Tour-de-Fra ... echt.dhtml
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    FJS wrote:
    looking at the year after, 2015 TdF grand depart in Utrecht, Netherlands? They seem to suggest its all confirmed to the council by ASO. Still, 2 grand departs abroad in a row?

Think that might have more to do with the state of the economy in France - huge cuts and austerity means that a French Town or City finding £10/£15 million out of their dusty coffers is getting harder and harder.
  • 50k TT....get in!
  • Hmmm what to do? I live inbetween Cambridge & London and potentially right on the route. So do I go to Cambs for the start, head out to the route to watch it pass within a few miles of my house or head to London for the finish? Or possibly a combination?!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Hmmm what to do? I live inbetween Cambridge & London and potentially right on the route. So do I go to Cambs for the start, head out to the route to watch it pass within a few miles of my house or head to London for the finish? Or possibly a combination?!

I loves me a start. Personally I'd go to the start, then jump on the train to London and watch it near the finish.

I loves me a start. Personally I'd go to the start, then jump on the train to London and watch it near the finish.

Bah! Starts are rubbish, especially at the Tour. If you want to see lots of coaches, then just head down the nearest bus depot!
  • Personally I'd watch it as close to home as possible. The attraction being an international event on roads you know very well.

Bah! Starts are rubbish, especially at the Tour. If you want to see lots of coaches, then just head down the nearest bus depot!

Oi! If you've never experienced a Tour start, and you can get a decent spot early by the team set-up of your choice or in front of the sign-on, its a decent experience.

Miserable git... :wink: